walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What kind of map do you prefer?

Preferred map type

Harvey 1:25000
4%
Harvey 1:40000
11%
Ordnance Survey 1:25000
39%
Ordnance Survey 1:50000
29%
Digital map products
14%
Some other kind of map
1%
I don't use a map
2%

Total votes : 105

Re: What kind of map do you prefer?

Postby DopeyLoser » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:39 pm

gaffr wrote:Just thought of something re. the Harvey Maps....I just have both of the Cairngorm maps...however the 1:25,000 map is only an enlargement of the 1:40,000 ..or maybe it is the other way round. They are not different maps the features on both maps are the same.
On the Ordnance survey maps the two map scales have their own set of features shown.
On the Harvey two for the Cuillin Hills...one on each side of the map sheet... the 1:12,500 has much more useful information than appears on the 1:25,000 map.

Simple enlargement seems highly unlikely. If you check the detail of the linework e.g. contours and rivers are they exactly the same shape? Are all of the boulders on the 25k the same shape as on the 40k? Maybe it is just a case of there being nothing much to show.

I agree the Harvey 12.5k of the Cuillins is very useful. That is one of the very few areas of the Highlands where such a large scale is warranted.

I do like the bold clear easy to read appearance of the Harvey maps. The OS 25k is terribly faint.
DopeyLoser

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:41 pm

Had another wee look this evening at the two Harvey. Maps for the Cairngorms and as far as I can see it does look like a straitforward enlargement.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Robert Haynes » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:07 am

DopeyLoser wrote:I agree the Harvey 12.5k of the Cuillins is very useful. That is one of the very few areas of the Highlands where such a large scale is warranted.

I didn't know that anything that large-scale was available for hill use. Ordnance Survey produce some very large scale maps for other applications, but they don't seem to have an equivalent to the old 6-inch maps any more. At that scale, not really suited to general navigation, but potentially useful for detailed routefinding in tricky areas.

Going the other way, though overseas, I have a Swedish 1:100k map for the northern end of the Abisko National Park, really intended for people walking/skiing the long distance trails but usable for hill route planning. The map doesn't look that different to some parts of Scotland on a 1:50k map until you realise that everything is twice the size (even 2km grid squares, 20m contour interval) and start noticing spot heights around the 2,000 metre mark.
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:26 pm

The Harvey maps for the Cuillin and Arran are far better than the OS because they are not obliterated by useless crag symbols.

I bought the Harvey Cuillin map after seeing it on the wall at the local Mountain Rescue (after my doctor friend helped them with a casualty).

The Harvey map for Lochnagar etc. is also useful as all the Munros are on one map, which makes it particularly good for Tolmount and Tom Buidhe so you can see how they fit in with the others.

Otherwise I prefer my OS Maps app (with the paper map in my rucksack as backup).
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Andy Milne » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:46 am

I always carry an enlarged print out of the route (for a day walk) in a plastic A4 sleeve I can fold and put in my pocket.

I do still carry a compass, OS map (1:25000 or 1:50000 depending on where I am walking) and have OS maps, Locus maps and a Grid Reference app on my phone, along with a Garmin GPS. This may be overkill, but in the worse case scenario of batteries dying, I can still (attempt) to navigate to safety. A phone and GPS are brilliant, but if the batteries die then the fallback of the Mk1 eyeball with a compass and paper map shouldn't be discounted
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:53 am

Ordnance survey maps for shorter walks as appropriate
Harvey’s for longer walks/trails
Os app and online for backup via gps
Os locate app
Grid point app for location/altitude (free gives grid reference/post code etc etc)
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby bigmtm » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 pm

OS 1:25.000 Explorer traditional paper maps for me although sometimes the 1:50.000 landranger
bigmtm

Postby Roo and Plum » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:35 pm

The Harvey Mountain Maps (1:40k) are my favourite for Scotland, also the tiny Ultramaps (still 1:40k) for places like Arran are fantastic. Both are waterproof and tear resistant and weigh less than the non-waterproof OS ones, the Ultramaps especially weigh almost nothing. As someone else said they are clearer to read on rockier mountains due to not covering up features with lots of symbols for boulders/crags etc.

I do prefer the OS 1:25k in England/lowland areas though.

I also take digital maps of which I only have OS maps.
Roo and Plum

Munros:196   Corbetts:48
Fionas:28   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:209   Islands:40

Postby MRG1 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:08 pm

I'm going to say this quietly then put my crash helmet on and duck.
I tend to use digital maps based on the Openstreetmap data.
Most of my walking tends to be on paths of some sort and these maps show many of the paths missing from the OS maps.
I also ensure that I have the appropriate digital OS 25k and 50k maps downloaded as well.
And in my defence I'd like to point out that I do also carry an OS map (tends to be 25k) and a compass
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:55 pm

Used to carry OS 1:50k, sometimes 1:25k and in Skye a Harveys. Recently have been, at times, using electronic maps only: Satmap 20 with OS 1:25k mapping of Britain plus OS Maps app on my phone (Allison has this too). Reckon yhe risk of three separate devices failing is low, although I admit there is something comforting about having a paper map along - especially if you want to see a more complete picture than is possible on a screen.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby JuliaS » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:36 am

weaselmaster wrote: - especially if you want to see a more complete picture than is possible on a screen.

Yes this is what I like with a paper map. I often lay it out on the floor or my tent in the evening and browse.

MRG1 wrote:I'm going to say this quietly then put my crash helmet on and duck.
Most of my walking tends to be on paths of some sort and these maps show many of the paths missing from the OS maps.

I dont know why you need a crash helmet? you make a valid point :)

Its true that there are paths shown on Open Street Map that are not depicted on OS maps. Sometimes though the reverse is true and OSM (at least in England/Wales) does not distinguish between ad hoc paths and public rights of way. I also find OSM surface detail to be very inferior compared to OS and to the degree that its not up to that required for navigation. What I tend to do if exploring a new area is to compare footpaths on OSM and if necessary print out as a supplement to my OS map so I have the additional path data
JuliaS

Postby MRG1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:49 am

JuliaS wrote:
MRG1 wrote:I'm going to say this quietly then put my crash helmet on and duck.

I dont know why you need a crash helmet? you make a valid point :)

Its true that there are paths shown on Open Street Map that are not depicted on OS maps. Sometimes though the reverse is true and OSM (at least in England/Wales) does not distinguish between ad hoc paths and public rights of way. I also find OSM surface detail to be very inferior compared to OS and to the degree that its not up to that required for navigation. What I tend to do if exploring a new area is to compare footpaths on OSM and if necessary print out as a supplement to my OS map so I have the additional path data

I thought I might need a crash helmet because OSM maps can sometimes be a rather decisive topic, they're a very "marmite" thing.

Indeed, the OSM maps tend not to differentiate between rights of way and any old path, thankfully that's not a huge issue for me though because the vast majority of my walking is in Scotland.

I certainly agree that the OSM maps can be a bit dodgy if navigating in open country, the surface detail isn't great but that appears to be changing slowly but surely.
I have variants of maps based on the OSM data that incorporates some of the latest LiDAR surveyed contour lines and Ordnance Survey open licence data (such as OS contour lines, rock data and water data).
These can very easily be layered so I have a digital map of OS contours, rock data and water data with the OSM paths overlaid.
My biggest gripes with the OSM based maps is that
A: very few map producers have decided to put all the info on one map
and
B: when they do they tend to make those maps so finely detailed that it's sometimes difficult to make out on a rain lashed / sunny hillside.

I should also mention (for the benefit of anyone reading this thinking that OSM maps sound like the Messiah of maps) that I've also had at least one situation in which I've been thrashing about the countryside thinking (or shouting) "well OSM said there's a path here."
:lol:
The fact that they aren't professionally surveyed means that one person's idea of a path can be another person's idea of hell on earth.

Of course I'll always make sure that I also have the digital OS 25k and 50k maps as well as the appropriate OS paper map and my compass.
But I tend to find that the OSM paths more than sufficient for most of my walking.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 am

As I said 20 months ago, OS mapping but on Harvey material would be my ideal.

OSM is like the #middleoflidl of mapping, it'll do a job, but....
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:10 am

AyrshireAlps wrote: OSM is like the #middleoflidl of mapping, it'll do a job, but....

Indeed, they suit most of my walking because 9/10 times I'm on a path or looking for a path.
However, I'll always ensure that I have both digital and paper OS maps with me.
MRG1
Rambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk