walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Downloading Walk Description to Android

Downloading Walk Description to Android

Postby miket » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm

When I have a walkhighlands route open on my Android phone it gives me the option to download. Once I do that and try to open it from downloads the phone says it doesn't have an app to open it. I am not worried about the gpx route, I know I can download that to viewranger or download onto my satmap, its the narrative Route Description that I would like to see on phone even when there is no signal. Any suggestions?
miket

Re: Downloading Walk Description to Android

Postby mmm_biscuit » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi miket

Yes - the "download" link on WH is just for the GPX. But here are a couple of options I've used before with Chrome on Android...

Option 1 - save an offline copy. From the walk description web page, tap the three dots (top right) to access Chrome's menu, then click the download icon (downward pointing arrow) at the top of the menu. Depending on your phone it might open the page immediately, ask if you want to open it, or just download it in the background. If the latter, you can open it from your downloads folder.

Option 2 - print the page as a PDF. Again, from the walk description web page, tap the three dots (top right) to access Chrome's menu. This time, find the share icon (usually 3 dots in a triangle connected by 2 lines). Scroll around the options for sharing - the lowest option on the far right should be print. Choose the printer called Save as PDF, then tap to download the PDF. Save it wherever suits, and open in whatever you normally use for PDFs.

If all else fails, there are always screenshots!

Good luck :)
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby miket » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Option 1 with an extra step worked for me.

I accessed the walkhighland's webpage through google search, when downloading it saved the file to the native Android browser. That's what probably gave me the problem in reopening offline. The extra step I added was when opening the 3 dots in google search I then "opened in Chrome" and then downloaded following the steps in Option 1. When offline I open chrome, 3 dots top right, and then go to downloads; all the offline walkhighland webpages are there and open successfully.

Thanks again
miket

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm

I use Firefox on Android and so long as I open the page when I have a signal it stays in the browser until I navigate to a different page. Used it last week on the Kelvin Walkway, no signal on large parts of the northern stint until I reached Milngavie.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk