walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Camping with your Dog.

Camping with your Dog.

Postby AberdeenHiker » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:43 am

First time posing here but figured I’d try. Wondering on the setup people are using when camping with their dog/dogs. I’m currently not settled on a system but have tried a larger tent with us both inside (dog wet everything) a smaller tent with the dog in the porch (midges annoyed the dog). A bivi for the dog and an UL 1 man tent for me (dog wasn’t happy being separated and was eaten by midges).

Generally it looks like it will have to be a larger (heavier) tent with us both inside. I’m interested if anyone has any UL solutions as I’d like to avoid carrying a heavy tent if possible.

My dog is husky sized Bernese mountain dog.
AberdeenHiker
Rock-climber

Re: Camping with your Dog.

Postby KatTai » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:40 pm

I have a 2 person tent, fits me and 2 collies but I'm only 5' :lol: They have dog robes to put on if they are wet to dry them off, an old camping mat to lie on, though Moss usually uses the end of my sleeping bag. Zena does get bothered by midges, do have a neem spray to use which seems to keep some of them away but she's clearly just too tempting to them, they don't bother me or Moss anywhere near as much! Some of the flea and tick treatments are supposed to repel biting insects.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:54 pm

My dog-tent is not ultralight but at 2.5kg it's not impossibly onerous either, it's the Naturehike Cloud-Peak 2. I'd be wary about it in exposed and windy conditions though. It's a cave. Massive. If I unclip the inner I can can sit in a camping chair inside whilst the weather pours down. A more robust (but more expensive, heavier) version is the Hilleberg Allak 2. There was enough room to put her camping bed and bits next to me and keep her separate.

I used to take her in the Cloud-Up 2 (a clone of the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2) and that was fine-ish but if she got wet I'd be drenched, hence the upgrade to a bigger tent for the fair weather stuff.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby calicoshmalico » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm

I took my Labrador on his first camp last week (Loch Callater) White Mounth Munro's, the tent i use for my summit camps is the Cloud Up 2 but its a bit tight in there with him as he's so big so I've just purchased the Cloud Peak 2 for the added room for when he comes along. Extra weight to carry but i was thinking of getting a harness / saddle bags for him to wear and he can carry the tent.
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby john.malley » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:00 pm

6'4" and 2 collie dogs .. and a mld duomid. In non midge weather I usually leave the door open .. if its non too bad I just shut the door. I just use a polycro groundsheet .. tough and only a few quid. My key bit of kit with the dogs is a sol escape bivi which is a tvek bag (very light) .. you can get similar .. in which my sleeping bag goes keeping it dry .. the tvek is breathable so doesnt get damp . Usually use a zmat (dog proof)for myself and a couple of largish extra pieces for the dogs. If theres a major midge episode the inner net goes up .. that requires a very obedient sort of dog who goes when and where I put him and her .. the inner tent is somewhat small and it becomes much more of a military exercise of organisation! ... but it does work out. Once the sleeping bag is enclosed in tvek I usually rest very easily as I'm gonna stay warm .. and indeed it enables you to use the hot dog water bottles even though they may be dampish .. as long as you don't have friends with sensitive noses! :)
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby KatTai » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm

john.malley wrote: I just use a polycro groundsheet .. tough and only a few quid. My key bit of kit with the dogs is a sol escape bivi which is a tvek bag (very light) .. you can get similar .. in which my sleeping bag goes keeping it dry .. the tvek is breathable so doesnt get damp .

That's a good idea! With two water-mad collies I've ended up with a slightly damp sleeping bag on a few occasions :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk