walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best alternative to Viewranger?

Best alternative to Viewranger?

Postby razzah » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:23 am

I love and have used Viewranger for years and find it's replacement, Outdooractive lacking in many of the features (crosshair, grid reference etc). Can anyone recommend a good alternative?
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Re: Best alternative to Viewranger?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:20 pm

I've found OS Maps fine for a while now. It had a stint of being really buggy and crashing but not had any issues with it recently. I got an annual subscription for 10 quid but think it's usually 23 or so. It doesn't have the crosshair or grid reference which is annoying, though you can get altitude and grid from OS Locate.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 am

I've got Memory Map as a backup, it's a bit basic in comparison, but works well and you get the PC version too. However as I've bought so many tiles over the years and despise subscriptions, I'm sticking with ViewRanger for the foreseeable. They may eventually pull the plug on it, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:13 pm

If you want to use OS Maps, then OS Maps is the way forward.

If you can live with OSM, then Oruxmaps is the one I use. You can put TalkyToaster maps on it and you can put "skins" that make OSM maps look like OS maps.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby razzah » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks folks. I will probably stick with Viewranger as long as I can since I have the whole of Scotland in OS 1:50000. I thought Viewranger was going to be retired imminently, but maybe not. OutdoorActive also seems to give me 1:25000 which is very useful for the tiles I haven't bought in Viewranger at that scale so I swap between the two, but I do like having the grid reference. I'll check out the recommendations also.
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Postby jolly47roger » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 pm

On Android, Locus is worth a look. Full OS grid references and some maps with unique features such as Core Paths.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby Alex W » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Viewranger didn't give me an option to renew my OS Map UK coverage and my subscription expired. So I've moved to OS Maps and subscribed from there. It does what I need and I'm pleased with it. I miss not having the cross hairs and elevation. OS Maps gives me a big arrow which obscures the point I'm actually at. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but just occasionally you really want to see your precise location. The big arrow points the way your phone is pointing and that's sometimes useful - I would still carry and use a compass, but orienting your phone while looking at the on screen map is a quick way of judging where you are going next.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby mrssanta » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:07 pm

I use MXmapmobile. It's the mobile version of Mapyx quo and integrates with the computer version. The software is free, and I purchased the whole of the UK landranger and explorer maps which was a decent sum of money but is mine forever and gives me hours of fun!
I like it very much.
I did have viewranger for a while but was not a fan. But I never used it enough to get to know it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jepsonscotland » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:40 am

Maverick or the Pro version.
Works with most maps all round the World or just simple OS Explorer.
Download GPX track from here (Thanks Paul) and all maps are included.
Very good and easy to use. Only ever had 1 issue in 8 years.
Standard version is free.
Pro version was £5, unlimited maps forever.

CJ :D
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby charlesisbozo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:51 pm

I still haven't found an app which allows me to put a cursor somewhere and have the app tell me how far I am/how much ascent I have left to go. I also really like how I can see previous tracks, which is useful for navigation purposes. It's a shame viewranger is being wound down, as it was pretty much the perfect navigation app.
charlesisbozo
Mountaineer

Munros:135   

Postby Mountain Mike » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 pm

I can't say I like Outdooractive by any means. I don't find it particularly user friendly. Its search facility is effectively useless often returning either nil results or results in totally different geographic location. For instance, if search for Inverness I get every Inverness except the right one:

I'd be interested to know why.
I fail to see the point of destroying a perfectly good system(Viewranger) only to replace it with crap(Outdooractive)
Mountain Mike
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk