walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Laser Compact All Season

Laser Compact All Season

Postby AllyRdr » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Hi all, I've been lurking for a few years now and finally need to pluck wisdom from the collective hive mind.
I've been looking to upgrade to a lightweight 4 season tent, and since the Akto seems to have been hunted into extinction (seriously, the only shop I can find which even has it online is in Helsinki. Helsinki! Granted, their shipping rates are really good, but I have no idea what kind of additional important duty/VAT I'd need to tack on these days) I noticed TN have a 4 season version of the Laser Compact.
I have an older version of the Laser Competition, but just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the 4 season versions of the Compact, either 1 or 2 person? I can't see to much in the way of reviews, other than one in TGO but I like a few opinions before shelling out, or YouTube vids.

Cheers all,

Ally
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Re: Laser Compact All Season

Postby shinenotburn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:40 am

Ally,

Got one a year ago and very pleased with it. After some thought I went for light, outer first and Scotland proof and so far it has matched this. First night I used it was at the top of Coire Garbhlach above Glen Feshie last October in loads of wet snow then heavy rains with lots of wind and it was absolutely fine.

I'm 1.82m and it's big enough for me and all my kit. I swapped the pegs for MSR ones but the originals are ok. Only niggle is that the toggle to retain the door still allows it to flap so now I take a small bulldog clip.

Feel free to contact me if you need anymore.

Iain.

iain.cruwys@btinternet.com.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby AllyRdr » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks, Iain, that sounds ideal then if it takes the wind fine. I'm already used to my old Laser Competition so the size isn't an issue, plus it looks like they've added more/better ventilation options compared to my older one as well which is a nice bonus.
Laser Compact All Season just moved up the pecking order in the shopping list :)
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Postby shinenotburn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Should have added that the only time I've had more than a few drops of condensation was the first night when everything got zipped up!
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby AllyRdr » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:01 pm

shinenotburn wrote:Should have added that the only time I've had more than a few drops of condensation was the first night when everything got zipped up!

Good to know. Thanks again :)
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk