walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Big Backpack

Big Backpack

Postby speysider64 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi folks,
We try and do a fair few overnight/ multi day treks per year, and I currently use a Deuter Air Contact 50 + 10 pack.
However I can never get it comfortable. I'm a biggush bloke, 6'2" and around 17st. I'm a builder and have quite broad shoulders, and one of the problems is that the shoulder straps seem to dig in under my arms.
I have a Fjallraven 35l day pack which is as comfy as a pair of old slippers, even when it's mega loaded in winter.
Because of this I'm tempted to upgrade to a Keb 72, or Kajka 75 for a multi day pack. Particularly like the Kajka because of the ability to adjust the shoulder strap width, but not keen on the weight. 3.3 kg is a heavy pack. The Arcteryx Bora Ar 63 also has width adjustment. Is there anybody who uses any of these packs, or can recommend any other pack where the shoulder straps either adjust for width, or seem to be wider to start with??
Cheers
Pete
speysider64
Mountaineer

Munros:36   

Re: Big Backpack

Postby scogem » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:33 pm

I happen to have the Arctyrex Bora AR 63. I saw at 50% off and splashed out.

Its a very comfortable pack. On long hikes my feet / legs get sore and tired but back and hips have been fine. Very durable, seems waterproof. Its really easy to customise for shoulders and hips.

The drawstring is a bit fiddly, the front pocket/zip area is on the inside so not much use when pack is full. Heavy and bulky, a bit difficult to store away. Difficult to strap larger items (e.g foam z-lite) to the outside.

I think its going to be my winter rucksack. Got my eye on something simpler for a lightweight summer pack.
scogem
Backpacker

Munros:2   

Postby scogem » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 pm

The pack allows you to adjust the width.
scogem
Backpacker

Munros:2   

Postby speysider64 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:50 am

Cheers scogem, the Bora was the first one I looked at because of the adjustable width to the shoulders, but wasn't sure about the hip belt and this swivel arrangement. Good to hear you find it comfortable
Thanks for the reply
speysider64
Mountaineer

Postby cruachan06 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:52 pm

I've got a Berghaus Trailhead 65 2.0 which I find really comfy. I'm not as tall as you at 5'11" but also broad in the shoulder and hip, and I have short legs for my height so the Bergahus is great for me as it's tall and narrow compared to most packs - I need it at maximum back length.

Haven't taken it on any overnighters as yet but I've worn it as a test loaded to around 8kg on a few day hikes and haven't had any aches or pains. It's also often available for a good price on Amazon, I got it on Prime Day last year for £60.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby speysider64 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 am

Thanks for that cruachan06. Funny enough I did look at the Berghaus pack a while ago, mainly because of its external storage, it seems to have some great pockets/ options etc, but I have a small Berghaus day pack (28 l) and I never found that comfortable. It never seemed to stay where I put it, straps would move over the course of a day and it became lob sided. Could be that my pack just had a dodgy buckle or something but at that price I'll definitely look at it again.
Cheers
speysider64
Mountaineer

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Actually (IMO) the external storage is one of the weakest things about the Berghaus pack. It has an internal divider for wet/dry stuff, a hydration bladder pocket and the usual pocket in the lid, but on the outside there's only the 2 bottle webbing pockets at the sides and only one pouch on the right side of the belt. There's no pocket or webbing on the back (loops are there for webbing but it isn't supplied) and no upper side pockets like a lot of rucksacks have. It does have pole storage loops though if that's a consideration for you.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:06 am

Atom packs

Can customise it for yourself, not cheap but an awesome investment

https://atompacks.co.uk/
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby speysider64 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd give a quick update. I eventually decided to go for the Fjallraven Kajka 75 pack. The Arcteryx has recently changed and I didn't read many good reviews about it, so opted for the Kajka.
No doubt it's a heavy pack, but the extra volume allowed me to carry more than my wife who seems to feel the extra weight more than me. I take all the tent instead of splitting it, I always carry the stove as well as most of the food, so last weekend we had a 4 day trip around the Fisherfields.
This was the first real outing and test for my new pack, and despite finishing up well over 15kg it was super comfy. The width adjustment on the shoulder straps definitely made a massive difference, and despite ending up way heavier than my old Deuter pack would have ever have got, I never felt any discomfort.
It was super stable on my back, the hip belt carries the weight fantastically, and the back panel and shoulder straps are really well padded.
The extra weight will no doubt not suit everybody, but for me I didn't notice it, a perfect example of if you find the right fit, whether it's backpacks or boots, your life will become much more enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone for their advice/ input and enjoy your days in the hills.
speysider64
Mountaineer

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun May 22, 2022 6:19 pm

Thanks for the update glad you got sorted
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk