walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent for a tall person

Tent for a tall person

Postby Coogs86 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the hiking/back packing scene and recently completed my first hike and wild camp with a 4 day trip in the Cairngorms. Was absolutely brilliant and it is something I'm keen to do more of. My only slight issue was my tent. I am 6'5 and couldn't find a lightweight one man tent that I could fit in before I went. So, I had to settle for a short term 2 man Vango. Whilst this was fine for my first trip it isn't something I can use long term as it is too heavy and won't do well in high winds. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good lightweight one man tent for a tall person for future trips so that I don't have to sleep with my head out the door? :lol:

Cheers
John
Coogs86
Walker

Munros:9   

Re: Tent for a tall person

Postby Scottk » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi John,
Have a look at the Tarptent website. They have a tent finder section which you can filter for over 6’3” to see which are suitable.
I have a Scarp 1 which I think would be big enough-very spacious. I live north of Aberdeen if you want to have a look at it for size.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 am

MSR Hubba, Access, Freelite or Elixir will suit you, I'm 6'2", and have at least another 8" of space above my head - I have a freelite 1 and the 2 person version of the Hubba, which is same length as the 1 person.

Scarp too as above, but best of luck actually getting one, when they come into stock they sell out in minutes, as they're a small producer.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 am

I believe Tarptent are ramping up production and will have a healthy stock of Scarps in the very near future. I'd sign up to the stock alerts if it's Scarp 1 you're after. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Coogs86 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Scottk wrote:Hi John,
Have a look at the Tarptent website. They have a tent finder section which you can filter for over 6’3” to see which are suitable.
I have a Scarp 1 which I think would be big enough-very spacious. I live north of Aberdeen if you want to have a look at it for size.

Thanks Scott, I will definitely take a look at the Scarp 1 online. Thanks for the offer of a look at yours but I live down in Kent so it's a bit of a drive :lol:
Coogs86
Walker

Postby Coogs86 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:MSR Hubba, Access, Freelite or Elixir will suit you, I'm 6'2", and have at least another 8" of space above my head - I have a freelite 1 and the 2 person version of the Hubba, which is same length as the 1 person.

Scarp too as above, but best of luck actually getting one, when they come into stock they sell out in minutes, as they're a small producer.

Thanks for the recommendations mate. I have seen the MSR tents online, they do look awesome, albeit the price is quite expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Coogs86
Walker

Postby Coogs86 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:I believe Tarptent are ramping up production and will have a healthy stock of Scarps in the very near future. I'd sign up to the stock alerts if it's Scarp 1 you're after. 8)

Thanks Robin. I have seen in your Youtube videos you have the Luna Solo, what's the length like in that? Looks good from the vids so might give that a try.
Coogs86
Walker

Postby Scottk » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 pm

Someone has a Tarptent Satrosphere 1 for sale on the trek lite forum. £230
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks for the recommendations mate. I have seen the MSR tents online, they do look awesome, albeit the price is quite expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Coogs86

Once you add in postage and import fees, you'll be around the same for a scarp.as you will be for an access, which is a 4 season tent, and about their best tent.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:12 pm

Coogs86 wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:I believe Tarptent are ramping up production and will have a healthy stock of Scarps in the very near future. I'd sign up to the stock alerts if it's Scarp 1 you're after. 8)

Thanks Robin. I have seen in your Youtube videos you have the Luna Solo, what's the length like in that? Looks good from the vids so might give that a try.

The Lunar Solo is a good summer tent and whilst it will withstand some strong winds, it's a drafty tent because it is single skin. I had a good few inches above my head and below my feet but at 6'5" I think your feet/head may touch the fabric. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk