walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking and Working in B1 Boots

Walking and Working in B1 Boots

Postby willowen100 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi

I have owned 3 pairs of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTXs and while they weren't a bad pair of boots, they were a bit tight in the toe box area and they did develop a fault which I have later found on these forums to be quite common.

My true foot size is 11 but my first pair of boots were a 11.5 as this would accommodate foot swell and thicker socks. Unfortunately the 11.5's were quite tight but the boots actually ended up going back under warranty after developing a problem with the seam around the toe box and had come undone.

To cut a long story short, I have had 2 additional replacement pairs of boots under Salomon's 2 year warranty, one pair being a 11.5 and my last pair of boots being a 12.5 which turned out to be the most comfortable considering they were 1.5 sizes up from my true size.

Now while they were slightly uncomfortable, I beared it and got used the slight discomfort. However, they weren't a long lasting boot hence I'm now looking to buy a better pair of boots and don't mind spending a bit more money on them.

I have tried the Scarpa Ranger GTX Activ at my nearest Cotswold Outdoor shop and they felt fairly comfortable, but they are a considerably stiffer boot than the Salomon's so whilst walking around the shop on a flat floor the heel-to-toe stride felt different. When I went home I had a look on Scarpa's website to see what else they had to offer and I did quite the look of the Scarpa SL Active boots.

My question is can I walk in these boots on urban surfaces such as cobblestone paths and pavements and will it just be a case of getting used to how the boots feels? Obviously on moorland terrain where there is mud and softer surfaces this will probably feel right at home.

My other question is how easy are these boots to bend/crouch down in and crawling across your knees with the toes dug into the ground? If I'm working at low height trying to get into small spaces with these on, how restrictive are they going to be and will it put any stress on the toe box area decreasing the longevity of the boots?

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I would like a boot that I can wear all 4-seasons for both work and leisure. I had some 5.11 tactical boots for a couple of months and while they did really well, sadly the back of the heal inside split wide open exposing my foot to Kevlar.

I essentially work in IT at an Outdoors and farming/agriculture college so there are lots of areas that I'm exposed to the outdoors and varying surfaces so waterproofing, grip and comfort is essential.

What are your thoughts?
willowen100
Mountain Walker

Re: Walking and Working in B1 Boots

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 pm

In your situation, I would suggest being open to having more than one pair of boots, so that you don't compromise on functionality and comfort for different activities or seasons. Of course that means more initial outlay, but hopefully they will last twice as long!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk