walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

4 season sleeping bags

Re: 4 season sleeping bags

Postby Booga » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:50 pm

mcclue wrote:Think about your sleep system as a whole. I've been using the Vango Ultralite Pro 300 with a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme liner and the Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite sleeping mat. It's a great set up. Back in December I slept 7hrs in blizzard conditions at -4 and toasted my nuts off it was so warm in the bag. The bag, liner and mat weigh in at 2.1kg which isn't bad at all. 👍

I've been considering one of those reactor extreme liners to add a bit more warmth to my bag. How much difference does it make in your experience?
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:24 pm

mcclue wrote:Think about your sleep system as a whole. I've been using the Vango Ultralite Pro 300 with a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme liner and the Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite sleeping mat. It's a great set up. Back in December I slept 7hrs in blizzard conditions at -4 and toasted my nuts off it was so warm in the bag. The bag, liner and mat weigh in at 2.1kg which isn't bad at all. 👍

Although you state your were warm what you don't mention is whither you were wearing anything in the bag or au naturel.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby GraysonDunlap » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:58 pm

Wow, it sounds like you have a fantastic sleep system! The Vango Ultralite Pro 300 with the Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme liner and Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite sleeping mat must be a dream to sleep in. And to be able to sleep comfortably in -4 blizzard conditions is impressive!
GraysonDunlap
Walker

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:31 am

I have been considering a couple of those Reactor liners but want to compare if possible to something more simple. This is for helping my wife stay warm - and I have a few trips planned which are not too far of a carry, and wondered if a couple of fleece blankets would achieve similar? And it would save us £100!

(System we have = 2x Roben Primacore 60 mats, an old Mountain Equipment Dragon 500 or Sierra Designs Zissou 35. If cold I add a reflective foam mat below and pile on clothes inside.)
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Ewen1966 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:26 pm

I don't bother with a liner since I got a Vango F10 vulcan -12 bag a few years go. It is 4 season but I use it in summer unzipped as a quilt. I did use a microfleece liner when I had a Kelty down bag but hated getting tangled up. I combine it with an exped down mat. It is a system that works for me.I know a liner helps keep the bag clean but they just don't get on with my thrashy legs.
The only problem is that both the downmat and the vulcan are discontinued. I will have to keep very good care of them
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby WildAboutWalking » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Remember that your sleep system includes the nature of the ground that you sleep upon, the tent itself, and the clothes that you wear in your bag.

For example, tents with a mesh inner are considerably colder than those with solid inners, and short heather/crowberry or wiry moorland grass will be less cold than closely cropped grass - or a snowfield.
WildAboutWalking
Mountain Walker

Postby WildAboutWalking » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:24 pm

Regarding the Sea to Summit Reactor liners - my daughter kindly bought me a 'Reactor Compact' for Christmas, and I have found that it does make quite a difference in cold weather. Packs down really tiny, too, and weighs next to nothing.

But I don't believe for a moment the claim that it adds anything like 'up to 11 degrees C' to your sleeping bag rating - I note their careful choice of words. Still worthwhile, though.
WildAboutWalking
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk