walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin inReach Mini

Re: Garmin inReach Mini

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:20 pm

As far as I can tell from the Garmin site; the tracking pings are not the biggest battery drain. The default tracking ping is 10 minutes, that gives 90 hours of use. BUT if you turn on Extended Tracking (which turns off Bluetooth, Message Listening, Navigation, Track Logging) the battery life goes up to 20 days. You can turn off those features individually if you want to keep some but not all. (And yes, upping the tracking ping to every 30 minutes or whatever will also help extend the battery).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby jamiecopeland » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:32 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:If its switched on, it's in range, so the whole time you're using it.

His point is that sending a tracking point every 10 minutes is overkill, which I'd agree with.

Just because it’s switched on doesn’t mean it’s getting a signal. It needs a clear view of the sky at all times. If it’s at the bottom of your rucksack it might not be getting a signal.

Without tracking points no one knows your location. That doesn’t seem like over overkill to me 😂

Mine is always switched on and tracking every ten minutes. It has never ran out of battery or even came close.
jamiecopeland

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:24 pm

jamiecopeland wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:I'm on the cheapest safety plan and tracking is optional, I don't use it for the reasons you state above and it's overkill. You can use MapShare, give your partner a link a password and they can do a location ping at any time providing your unit is switched on and in range.

You deem it overkill yet you acknowledge your method only works when your device is “in range” 🤦‍♂️🤣

They'll work anywhere in the world, but you need a clear view of the sky, so a deep gorge or dense forest cover may prevent a signal reaching or leaving the device. That's why I stated "in range". Same range for your tracking to also work. 😉

Tracking in my opinion is overkill, but it's up to each individual what plan they choose and how they use the device. 👍🏻

I've got an SOS button and my partner can get my location at any time she wants, why would I pay for tracking? :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:33 pm

Without tracking points no one knows your location.

Simply not true.

Who said I have it at the bottom of my bag? Tbh it doesn't even need a clear view of the sky, my wife can see where I am if I have it in my hip pocket.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Scottk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:36 pm

There are 2 sets of tracking on the device. One is send and the other is log interval. It is the send interval which costs.
I believe that when you send an SOS it sends your location and this has nothing to do with the send intervals. I hope this is correct as that is what I based my send intervals on!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Yes the actual tracking cost 10p every time you send your location, the intervals are defaulted to every 10 minutes. This could prove a bit costly unless you upgrade to the "RECREATION" plan at £25pm.

The way I use mine is by having it switched on constantly, we've agreed that I send a preset message to my partner in the morning, 3-4 times during the day and once at night. This let's her know I'm okay and where I was when sending the message.

I really don't see the need to have tracking on top of this, if she hasn't heard from me she can use the ping back location too.

It's up to the user at the end of the day what plan they choose and how they use the device. My partner is happy with our wee set up.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:07 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Yes the actual tracking cost 10p every time you send your location, the intervals are defaulted to every 10 minutes. This could prove a bit costly unless you upgrade to the "RECREATION" plan at £25pm.

The way I use mine is by having it switched on constantly, we've agreed that I send a preset message to my partner in the morning, 3-4 times during the day and once at night. This let's her know I'm okay and where I was when sending the message.

I really don't see the need to have tracking on top of this, if she hasn't heard from me she can use the ping back location too.

It's up to the user at the end of the day what plan they choose and how they use the device. My partner is happy with our wee set up.

That was exactly my plan, with the addition of the SOS. I understand it can't be used if I'm unconscious but my position will still be available from my last message (keeping device on but tracking off).
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 am

It's worth setting up MapShare, so people with the link and password can ping your location in the event they haven't heard from you and may be concerned.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=EMrPa9gUgU1ZNM3LmfGneA
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Bastonjock » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:50 pm

I was thinking of getting a personal locator beacon as opposed to a inreach mini ,when you add up the costs plb,s work out cheaper ,that's assuming that you don't need to text wife/partner
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:44 am

Bastonjock wrote:I was thinking of getting a personal locator beacon as opposed to a inreach mini ,when you add up the costs plb,s work out cheaper ,that's assuming that you don't need to text wife/partner

Exactly, I suppose if you just want that (get out of jail free card) reassurance of having a basic PLB like the McMurdo effort, then why not. It does work out much cheaper.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:49 am

As i understand it (i may be wrong here) but when you hit the sos button your signal goes to a company called geos, geos then directs your response via either your network or they do it.

if you use a garmin inreach geos handles the response as geos is owned by garmin.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/blog/garmin-acquires-leading-provider-of-emergency-monitoring-and-response-services/

if you use a different type of plb they direct your emergency to the provider of your service.

as the main reason for me buying the inreach mini is that i solo backpack in very remote places and wanted the sos button i went with the inreach so i wasnt relying on a third party in an emergency, one stop shop so to speak. i realise the inreach isnt exactly cheap etc but how much is your life worth?

(other opinions are available)
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 am

I'm sure the McMurdo type would work else we'd be hearing horror stories about them; but the Garmins do a bit more. They all have texting, and the ones larger than the Mini have mapping too. But then the Garmin units costs more to buy and cost more to run. You pays your money you gets your toy.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk