walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin inReach Mini

Garmin inReach Mini

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 am

I recently bought an inReach Mini and done the set-up and testing and it seems to work ok.

One clarification l am seeking is related to the pre-set messages. I assumed these would be SMS on the recipient side but l can only configure them for emails.

Have l missed something or are the pre-sets limited to email? The instructions seem inconclusive.

TIA
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Garmin inReach Mini

Postby Kendrum » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:54 am

Yes there is SMS option which is more useful than email in my opinion as most people will check a text immediately but not email.
On the explore.garmin.com web page go to contacts and add your personal contacts. You can add email and mobile number.
Then when you go to messages, preset messages and edit, you can choose from that list you have created.
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 am

Kendrum wrote:Yes there is SMS option which is more useful than email in my opinion as most people will check a text immediately but not email.
On the explore.garmin.com web page go to contacts and add your personal contacts. You can add email and mobile number.
Then when you go to messages, preset messages and edit, you can choose from that list you have created.

Thanks Kendrum, l will try that.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:31 am

As above. Effectively when you come to look at your contacts list on the InReach Mini, each person has separate listings for SMS and e-mail, and you choose then.

I tested this all on myself last week, just to make sure it actually works. Its not very intuitive, but it does do the job!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Kendrum » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Thought I'd add- remember to sync the data with the Inreach Mini by opening up the Earth Mate app on your phone. Do this while you are still have data or wi-fi connection. Opening the app should sync the data but make sure by clicking the 3 dots and then sync.
What Mal Grey describes refers to the other messages (quick text messages or messages composed from scratch on device) rather than the presets. With presets you can add a few recipients on the explore Garmin website and this doesn't add to your monthly limit. I have it sending to my own phone as well to give me the confidence that it is working as expected.
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Don't forget to keep the Firmware up to date.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ZGD1NiPQqL9Lma0Vy2ueL7
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am

Kendrum wrote:Yes there is SMS option which is more useful than email in my opinion as most people will check a text immediately but not email.

Thanks to everyone that answered. I have now set this up properly and tested the SMS sending and it works just fine.

I only purchased this device for the pre-set messages and the SOS function. I feel a bit more comfortable out on the hills alone when l have this with me.

What l did notice, it is best to leave the device on, as it sometimes takes a few minutes to connect to the satellite that could be crucial when needing the SOS urgently.

Thanks Again
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:49 am

I agree about keeping it switched on during the hike, you'll easily get 5-7 days of constant use from one charge if switched off during the night. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jamiecopeland » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 am

Leave it on throughout your hike so your location is 'tracked'. That's kinda the whole point of the device.
jamiecopeland

Postby Scottk » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:19 pm

If you are leaving it on, make sure you are not on the cheapest plan as tracking points are charged at 10p each so it doesn’t take long to make the next plan better value. You can also turn the tracking frequency down.
My own preference is the recreation plan for when I am going to be out a lot. Next year I am tempted to go with an annual plan.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 am

Scottk wrote:If you are leaving it on, make sure you are not on the cheapest plan as tracking points are charged at 10p each so it doesn’t take long to make the next plan better value. You can also turn the tracking frequency down.
My own preference is the recreation plan for when I am going to be out a lot. Next year I am tempted to go with an annual plan.

I'm on the cheapest safety plan and tracking is optional, I don't use it for the reasons you state above and it's overkill. You can use MapShare, give your partner a link a password and they can do a location ping at any time providing your unit is switched on and in range.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:23 am

jamiecopeland wrote:Leave it on throughout your hike so your location is 'tracked'. That's kinda the whole point of the device.

Yes, that could be the point and (as some others now commented) there are plans to support this type of activity. I have noticed some people have a need where partners can see their progress from home and feel more comfortable.

I have never had this requirement, only the SOS button or send SMS via GPS when l don't have the phone signal. I bought the basic package to support this and it suits me well. I am sure there are others, will varying needs, that require the ongoing tracking function.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby jamiecopeland » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:13 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:
jamiecopeland wrote:Leave it on throughout your hike so your location is 'tracked'. That's kinda the whole point of the device.

Yes, that could be the point and (as some others now commented) there are plans to support this type of activity. I have noticed some people have a need where partners can see their progress from home and feel more comfortable.

I have never had this requirement, only the SOS button or send SMS via GPS when l don't have the phone signal. I bought the basic package to support this and it suits me well. I am sure there are others, will varying needs, that require the ongoing tracking function.

That’s fine providing the situation you find yourself in allows you to reach for the device, uncap the SOS button and press it.

I use mine for several reasons. 1) It allows my partner to track me as I’m often in areas with no mobile phone signal. This gives her peace of mind. 2) It allows me to communicate via SMS in an emergency when outwith mobile signal. 3) By having the device on and tracking it means that should I have an accident which means I can’t use the device (broken limbs, knocked unconscious, fatal fall) then MRT will know my exact location rather than having various agencies spending hours and resources searching a vast area.
Last edited by jamiecopeland on Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamiecopeland

Postby jamiecopeland » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:16 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:I'm on the cheapest safety plan and tracking is optional, I don't use it for the reasons you state above and it's overkill. You can use MapShare, give your partner a link a password and they can do a location ping at any time providing your unit is switched on and in range.

You deem it overkill yet you acknowledge your method only works when your device is “in range” 🤦‍♂️🤣
jamiecopeland

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm

If its switched on, it's in range, so the whole time you're using it.

His point is that sending a tracking point every 10 minutes is overkill, which I'd agree with.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk