walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Women’s Scarpa Terra GTX boots alternative

Women’s Scarpa Terra GTX boots alternative

Postby Quincy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:21 pm

Like many of you on this site I’m sure, I am a creature of habit. My last 3 pairs of boots have been the Scarpa Terra GTX boot. They are comfortable and quick to wear in. On the downside I am finding that what I thought was a good quality boot isn’t lasting any time at all. The vibram sole doesn’t last like it used to. And given less walking during lockdown the grips are rounded to practically non existent in under two years. No point in resoling as they’ve also cracked across the leather even with cleaning care. I’ve tried to make them last so feel they now can’t be sent back. Last two pairs haven’t lasted and they’ve gone from £90 - £165 in 10 years.

Has anyone suffered the same problem and do you have an alternative? I now have long walks in as well as negotiating a lot of rocky terrain on hills ie Cairngorms area. It’s finding a boot with a sole that’s not too stiff for the long distances but grips well in wet weather on rocky terrain. Also next year I plan more scrambling. I’ve tried many boot types but just can’t find anything comfortable without a high ankle.
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:45
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Women’s Scarpa Terra GTX boots alternative

Postby Thataway » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Try these, the seller will accept an offer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144230883389
Thataway
Wanderer

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:56 pm

I've also found that the Scarpa Terras don't wear as well as I'd like them to -- and as you say, it's a real disappointment, because they ARE so darn comfy. Perhaps against my better judgement, I recently bought another pair, and am planning to use them only for summer and / or on dry-ish walks as much as possible. I also invested in a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks, so I could extend the old pairs' life, and keep dry feet.

My more robust option has traditionally been Meindl Burmas, but honestly, the last pair or two I've had also haven't really worn as well as I'd like for as long as I'd like, for the price. While they're new-ish, however, they do have a good grippy sole, and are stiff enough to take crampons (although -- disclaimer -- the limit of my winter walking is definitely not airy-scary technical).

I bought a pair of Alt-bergs last year, after reading so many folks on here singing their praises. I have yet to put them to real testing. They feel much heavier, and thus more tiring than the Meindls, so I probably won't wear them until I'm on a snow, wet, possible-crampons-necessary outing. I hope they wear better than the Meindls, that remains to be seen.

I don't know if any of this helps. Sometimes, I think I'm just really hard on boots, and I'm not going to find any that last year on year on year. When I asked a sales associate at Tiso whether I could expect to get more than a season or two's worth of wear from my Meindls, he cheekily replied that it depended on how much I used them.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:90   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Mammut Nova II (or Nova III if you prefer a lower ankle) might also be worth looking at.

Modern boot designs do seem to have traded off durability in favour of lightness and comfort. I don't reckon to get more than about 150-200 days' wear out of a pair these days.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:13 pm

jmarkb wrote:I don't reckon to get more than about 150-200 days' wear out of a pair these days.

Now that's a helpful guideline, and "approximate number of outings" will be how I phrase the question next time! :lol: :roll:
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:90   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm using the Scarpa Rangers just now and have no real complaints with them. They're a bit heavier than the Terras but have a rand so shouldn't get as badly worn on the upper. I was considering the Terras but they don't look robust enough for heather bashing and navigating boulder fields every week.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby simon-b » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 pm

In defence of Scarpa and the Terras, they are an entry level boot and do the job they are designed for very well, according to people I know who've used them. But it does mean they won't last as long as a lot of the more robust boots from Scarpa's range. I write this while being fully aware that nobody is on an unlimited budget, and long lasting boots are very expensive, so I do sympathise.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk