walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

New boots!

New boots!

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am

Hi All,

Totally get how subjective this can be but I have had meindl boots for a few years now, on my 2nd pair and do like them but the rand never seems to last more than 2-3 years without starting to peel away. They are also pretty heavy and have now started to leak despite me treating them every so often. Has anyone else had same experience with meindl? Bit of a combination of hills and done some long distance walking on trails in them. They also cook my feet, even on cold days when I've went down to a light sock.

Suppose what Im asking does anyone have any recommendations for a lighter boot? I was thinking about salomon quest 4.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Re: New boots!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:00 am

I have several pairs of boots in varying states of use. One is a pair of Meindl Burma Pros. They can be warm on hotter days but don't find them unduly so. They've always been waterproof (touch wood). I did get them resoled for a trip to the Black Cuillin but nowadays I use them very infrequently as the leather is starting to suffer although the soles are fine. The rand though has started to part company a little from the boots so, if using them, it would be generally only on dry days.
I also have a pair of Salomon Quest Prime which I use for day walks in the summer months as they're lighter. They've also proved to be waterproof but, being fabric, the outers take an awful lot longer to dry than those of the leather boots. Good grip too but I wouldn't use them in winter. That said, my left ankle has developed an annoying issue - on walks of more than a few few hours, just above the ankle bone becomes very painful and I think it's the padding rubbing on the skin and bone - very odd as there's no visual sign but it become very sore to touch. Blister plasters don't work as they jus increase the pressure. I'm experimenting with different lacing etc but no cure as yet - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am

I had the Meindl Vakuums which were amaaaazing boots but the soles only lasted a year which at 200 quid I was disappointed with (they cost even more now). Admittedly I did get probably 100 Munros out of them so they probably would have lasted most longer. I could have got them re-soled but had worn a hole in the lining towards the end so didn't see the point in dropping 80 quid when that's half the price of a pair of boots.

I had the Bhutans after which were heavier and not as comfy though the soles were way better. I've no idea what happened but they just started to shred my feet after a year or so so got a pair of Scarpa Rangers which I'm still using now.

I think I'll be looking at fabric instead of leather for my next pair of three season boots. The Salomons look good but I've heard a lot of people saying that they tend to let water in after a fairly short period of time and are prone to failing around the ball of the foot. My other half has a pair of Salomons (X Ultra 3 I think) and says they're great, though she uses them for coastal walks etc rather than hills etc.

Salewa Mountain Trainers look decent and I'd look at Garmont based on my experience of their winter boots. I doubt you'll get longer lasting lighter boots but they should be cheaper than Meindl.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Alex W » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:20 am

I have a pair of Salomon X ultra 3 mid boots (discontinued now I believe) which are comfortable and waterproof. I wouldn't wear them on anything other than level ground or good paths, because there just isn't enough edge to the sole, so descending steep ground is a bit precarious. As a 3 season boot for hills I picked up a pair of Salomon X-Alp, but never again - as a boot the fit and function is good, but they leak like a sieve in wet grass. I only wear these now when I've a reasonable expectation of dry conditions underfoot.

I'm about to move into wearing my winter boots, so I can kick the can down the road on a new 3 season boot for a few months. Until then I'll be an avid reader of threads like this.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Fairweather Softie » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks everyone, just back from Tiso and tried the salomon quest prime, seemed good fit and will do me for most of my walking I think. After leaving shop had a look on line and saved myself £35 as well, sports direct actually do them for £109 so I cant go wrong really even if they fail me on hills i will still have a reasonably priced boot for long distance walking.

Never been sure about spending £100 to get resoled and rand replaced, might have a think about it as I do like the Meindl boot. I always have a chuckle when I see people saying they have had same boot for years, Ive never got more than 3 years out of a boot. perhaps I'm just hard on the boots, the rand always lets me down. Might have to start lifting my feet more.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Postby Alex W » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:36 pm

Be careful if you're buying from Sports Direct. Go into a shop if you can. Their prices are always good, but quite often they sell not quite the same model. It may well be as good, but you lose the confidence that it's the model you researched and got fitted.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:44 am

I've got salomon quest. Absolutely love them. Got probably 1000miles on them so far and about 20 hills. Still waterproof, still in great condition. I never clean them more than a light brush when dry. Never get blisters, light on the feet and cool. I will buy another pair once their done but I reckon I'll get another year out of them. Doing the snt in them next year.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby shinenotburn » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:Thanks everyone, just back from Tiso and tried the salomon quest prime, seemed good fit and will do me for most of my walking I think. After leaving shop had a look on line and saved myself £35 as well, sports direct actually do them for £109 so I cant go wrong really even if they fail me on hills i will still have a reasonably priced boot for long distance walking.

Never been sure about spending £100 to get resoled and rand replaced, might have a think about it as I do like the Meindl boot. I always have a chuckle when I see people saying they have had same boot for years, Ive never got more than 3 years out of a boot. perhaps I'm just hard on the boots, the rand always lets me down. Might have to start lifting my feet more.

Let's hope Tiso is still open in few years time when you need your next pair of boots. If you only have the online option and get the wrong size the postage and your time is going to be £35.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:07 pm

shinenotburn wrote:
Fairweather Softie wrote:Thanks everyone, just back from Tiso and tried the salomon quest prime, seemed good fit and will do me for most of my walking I think. After leaving shop had a look on line and saved myself £35 as well, sports direct actually do them for £109 so I cant go wrong really even if they fail me on hills i will still have a reasonably priced boot for long distance walking.

Let's hope Tiso is still open in few years time when you need your next pair of boots. If you only have the online option and get the wrong size the postage and your time is going to be £35.

I take it you don't agree with this approach. My conscience is clear. :D

On a more serious note, I agree if its a tenner difference I would have walked back up to Tiso and got them on the day, but was happy to wait the 2 days for them to be delivered.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:15 pm

It's a few years ago now but I tried my Quest Prime GTX boots on in Cotswold, bought them there and they price matched with the online price. Cotswold still do a price match guarantee failing which NTS membership gives a 15% discount. Win win situation - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby johnnyaztec » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Great pair of boots for summer really comfortable and sturdy

Fairweather Softie wrote:Hi All,

Totally get how subjective this can be but I have had meindl boots for a few years now, on my 2nd pair and do like them but the rand never seems to last more than 2-3 years without starting to peel away. They are also pretty heavy and have now started to leak despite me treating them every so often. Has anyone else had same experience with meindl? Bit of a combination of hills and done some long distance walking on trails in them. They also cook my feet, even on cold days when I've went down to a light sock.

Suppose what Im asking does anyone have any recommendations for a lighter boot? I was thinking about salomon quest 4.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:9
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk