walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

New waterproof jacket

New waterproof jacket

Postby thewaverider » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Finally after many years my Rab waterproof has decided it doesn't want to be waterproof anymore, but it has served me well (All the wainwrights, Kili, Mount Elbrus and so on)

I don't need anything lined as I have Montane Sabre softshell and Montane Flux jacket when the weather gets cooler.

I keep seeing paclite jackets but they do not look or feel very durable and at 205lbs carrying an extra 200g really won't make much difference to me!

Has anyone got any recommendations? Budget up to around £250, needs a couple of pockets, a well fitted hood (helmet compatibility not terribly important) and one that covers the backside!

My only gripe about the Rab I do have is it tends to bunch at the front and the rain trickles right off in to my crotch which is not pleasant on a long day out :lol:

Thanks
thewaverider
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   
Hewitts:121
Wainwrights:214   

Re: New waterproof jacket

Postby davekeiller » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:33 pm

You seem to like Rab and Montane, so I'd go with one of their offerings.
Remember that Montane have an outlet store mountain-kit.co.uk
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:22 pm

Difficult to beat Mountain Equipment for waterproof jackets IMO and they have tons of them. Think the Rupal is within your price range and is three-layer Goretex.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Ferrylouper » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 pm

While seconding that if you like the fit of Rab and Montane then another jacket from them will probably be a good option, I would also say that a paclite is pretty durable in my experience. I got a good three years of heavy wear out of mine (including 16 months of it being my general everyday jacket while travelling on horseback) with zero care for it, and when I did change it, it was more because it had a rip in the shoulder than anything else.

Have you had a look at Finisterre? I have been half-eyeing their jackets and they look really nice. The Stormbird jacket in particular looks quite handy.
Ferrylouper
Stravaiging

Postby ahukippax » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm

I would agree with Iain. I have stuck with Mountain Equipment Jackets over the last 20 years. I currently have two, the Rupal, a great all rounder that I use in winter too and a gore-tex shakedry jacket that I got recently for backpacking and running. 180g and totally waterproof. As a brand I have found them reliable, durable and a good fit for my body type.
Definitely try before you buy to ensure a good fit and enjoy your shopping !
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby the-ferret » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:44 pm

I had a ME paclite jacket which I managed tear on some brambles whilst wandering about an over grown back garden. My latest jacket is NF which I have yet to use in anger (hill weather has been benign whilst out and about in lock down). Outer material looks tougher than the pac-lite, fits ok apart from the hood which is massive.
the-ferret
Mountain Walker

Munros:236   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Postby thewaverider » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks for the replies!

In the end I ended up buying the Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket. It fitted well, seemed more "robust" than others on offer and having a mate who is a mountaineering guide tell me it has kept him dry all day after torrential rain I opted to spend a bit more and get something a bit more substantial......and looking at the weather for next week in the Lake District I think will be a good test for it! :shock: :lol:
thewaverider
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   
Hewitts:121
Wainwrights:214   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 pm

thewaverider wrote:Thanks for the replies!

In the end I ended up buying the Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket. It fitted well, seemed more "robust" than others on offer and having a mate who is a mountaineering guide tell me it has kept him dry all day after torrential rain I opted to spend a bit more and get something a bit more substantial......and looking at the weather for next week in the Lake District I think will be a good test for it! :shock: :lol:

Good choice. I have the Lhotse as my winter waterproof. Hopefully you got a deal on it as they are quite pricey. Should last years, though.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby andrewandsally » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:13 pm

I managed to get a haglofs rubus jacket. It has a slightly weightier feel which I love. I am tall and it is a really good length. Fantastic waterproofing. Very happy with my choice...hooefully will last as long as my husband's haglof waterproof....10 years and still fantastic.
andrewandsally
Bird-watcher

Fionas:1   

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Good choice.

I bought my first Rab jacket ever 6 months ago, first with a Pertex product in since my Buffalo, only 6 months ago.

It is in the post today after starting to leak like a sieve after on a few minutes of rain.

Not good.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:07 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:Good choice.

I bought my first Rab jacket ever 6 months ago, first with a Pertex product in since my Buffalo, only 6 months ago.

It is in the post today after starting to leak like a sieve after on a few minutes of rain.

Not good.

Had a Rab Pertex jacket too (Downpour Plus) I think which was rubbish. Shame as I love Rab stuff. They've switched to Goretex now for most of their waterproof stuff so that probably tells you all you need to know.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk