walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Smart watch

Smart watch

Postby weesmudge » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:43 pm

For my 50th early next year the wife is looking to get me a new watch I use a fenix 3 at the moment.
So I'm looking at options to replace it any one use a TAG connected watch for walking are they any good with an altimeter that's accurate.
It's either that or another garmin
Ta
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Re: Smart watch

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:46 am

I've got a Suunto something or other, its has GPS and the altimeter it pretty accurate when I compare it against a map or garmin GPS unit.

The GPS on the watch eats the battery up quickly but I very rarely use it with GPS on hills, normally for a bike ride so I can track miles and stats.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 am

There's a few other threads on here on smartwatches. I opted for the Garmin Instinct Solar, after seeing a recommendation on here. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Fenix range., but has your ABC functions, long battery life and that includes 3 days of GPS recording with other sensors switched off. I'm happy with it.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby malrobb » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 pm

I am sure I saw someone use this link for the watch that Robin mentions: https://www.johnlewis.com/garmin-instinct-solar-solar-powered-fitness-smart-watch/solar-blue/p5085274
This is already a pretty good price but if you are feeling mercenary you can then get GoOutdoors who have a Price Match promise where they will beat it by 10%.
I have the Instinct and really like it and the Solar would definitely be the one I would go for now if I was looking.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk