walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Pacer Poles

Pacer Poles

Postby Tringa » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:18 pm

Some members might know these poles

https://www.pacerpole.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitCPmuv38wIVlrt3Ch0yCAEDEAAYASAAEgIroPD_BwE

but if you don't please read on.

Mrs Tringa has never been a big hillwalker. She has in the past enjoyed Stac Polliadh and some of the lower hills and walks around Gairloch, but has done quite a lot of more level walks(eg Slaggan Bay - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/slaggan.shtml ).

About three or four years ago she started having trouble in one knee. This was diagnosed as arthritis. Sometimes it has caused quite a bit of discomfort, sometimes the effect has been mild.

In the last year or so she has suffered more and has done some exercise to try and help the problem.

This has helped quite a lot but she has still, until recently, not walked more than about half a mile.

She saw Pacer Poles online and after looking at a lot of reviews, bought some.

A couple of weeks ago, using the Pacer Poles, she did the Flowerdale Glen walk at Gairloch -

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Flowerdale.shtml

It isn't long(3 miles) or much of a climb(about 150m) but it is is way more than she has done for a few years.

Although her knee ached a bit at the end of the walk she said, with the poles, she felt more able to go further and they really helped.

If anyone else is having difficult with joints these poles might help.

All of the reviews I have seen are positive but they say, as Mrs T has confirmed, you need to work/learn how to use the poles.

Dave
Tringa

Re: Pacer Poles

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:24 am

I have long been a proponent of the wooden stick, off a tree, but since April I have had a sore arm after using a wooden stick off a tree whilst walking along the side of Loch Etive. It was the first time I had been out for ages so it came as a shock to my body, and every time my stick hit a stone the reverberations went right up my arm. Maybe these spring-loaded poles would be a great improvement, but at a hundred quid a pair I'd rather gnaw my own arm off.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Spring loaded poles are dung IMO.

That's good the poles are allowing her to get out again, pacer poles have been about for ages, I've never fancied them tbh, I like the flexibility of positions that my standard poles give me tbh.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby brpro26 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:46 am

I agree that spring loaded poles aren't the best, I don't like the slight give in them and not sure that really helps TBH.

I have however converted to Pacepoles recently and like the feel of them. There not spring loaded and I've found them equally versatile and adjustable as my old standard poles.

What I will say is there's a slightly different walking style to be adopted, you've got to stand up and be over them as you walk. A couple of problems I've encountered is after a long day I found the fleshy heal of my hand and pinky joint getting sore...bashed and bruised I reckon. The other issue was my thumbs got bloody cauld in the driving wind /rain as they sit up and exposed due to the handle position.

Having paid £108 for them I'd better pretend to like them for her sake.....or I'll no hear the end of it. :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby whiteburn » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:55 am

brpro26 wrote:... after a long day I found the fleshy heal of my hand and pinky joint getting sore...bashed and bruised I reckon. .

Can't say I've had any issue in this regard, perhaps you're hanging onto the grip too hard
brpro26 wrote:......The other issue was my thumbs got bloody cauld in the driving wind /rain as they sit up and exposed due to the handle position.

I've found it easier to wear gloves/ overmitts with the Pacer's as there's no need to get your hand though a wrist loop, I've got the Pacer Overmitts on mine which makes life even easier.

One downside for me is the screw type adjustment but it's fairly easy to convert to flicklocks.
https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/pacer-pole-flicklock-mod.1366/
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Thataway » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Interesting, Ive usedspring loaded Leki poles, three pairs in succession, for the last twenty years.
Without them , used for descents only, my knees would not work anymore.
Using the straps like ski poles, so you do not need to grip the handle, is the only way to go.
Thataway
Wanderer

Postby St Pedro » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:11 am

used pacer poles for over 15 years, much prefer to my old Lekis
perfect for prolonging knees on big hill days (have had knee acl replacement op in 1990s)

feel you get a good workout using arms/shoulders when going uphill
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk