walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lanshan; a question.

Lanshan; a question.

Postby Low Level Walker » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi all. A Lanshan has long been a tent that has piqued my interest. I have done a lot of research and watched many YouTube videos.

Would I be correct in saying that when buying this tent you will be required to seal the seams yourself? As seems the case in almost every YouTube video I have watched.

The reason I am asking is that I have seen one for sale on flea bay, and I asked the vendor this question. He at first did not understand me and when I then elaborated further he stated “there is no need to glue again, it is already sealed”.

Should this be something I should be concerned about? Does anyone have or know of anyone who has purchased one of these tents and it had not required seam sealing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Re: Lanshan; a question.

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:59 am

Do not know what Lanshan your looking at but to save costs a lot of tent producers get you to seam seal yourself.
It looks like most Lanshans need seam sealed.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:09 am

I don't know which model you're looking at, but all Lanshans need seam sealed. If you buy it, it should be obvious if the previous owner is done it or not, and if you go on to Ali Express, they usual have a diagram of what seams to seal.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Low Level Walker » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:50 am

Apologies guys, I should have stated what model of tent. It is the Lanshan 3F UL. I should also state that it is a genuine vendor/retailer on Ebay, and not second hand.

I am kind of concerned that they don't really know what they are talking about. I think to err on safe side if I did purchase it I would seam seal myself.

Thanks for the replies.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Postby K Armstrong » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:02 am

I think it's only the single skinned 'Pro' versions that need to be seam sealed: the flysheets on the versions with the separate inners are made of a different material and are good to go out of the factory.
K Armstrong

Munros:39   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm

K Armstrong wrote:I think it's only the single skinned 'Pro' versions that need to be seam sealed: the flysheets on the versions with the separate inners are made of a different material and are good to go out of the factory.

No, they (3FUL) all need done, it's a cost saving that many tent manufacturers do tbh.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby K Armstrong » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:18 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:
K Armstrong wrote:I think it's only the single skinned 'Pro' versions that need to be seam sealed: the flysheets on the versions with the separate inners are made of a different material and are good to go out of the factory.

No, they (3FUL) all need done, it's a cost saving that many tent manufacturers do tbh.

Hmm. I got a standard Lanshan 1 this year, and it didn't come with the syringe like the Pro ones do.

3FUL's own website states "All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape" for the double walled version, while specifying the need for the Pro version to be sealed with silicone.

https://3fulgear.com/product/ultralight-tent/lanshan-1/
https://3fulgear.com/product/ultralight-tent/lanshan-1-pro/
K Armstrong

Munros:39   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:55 pm

My Lanshan 2 didn't come with a syringe either, but it definitely hadn't been taped or sealed. If they've started doing it now, ideal, will be fairly easy to tell by looking at it.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:25 pm

One of the main reasons manufacturers don't seal seams is because when using Sil-nylon fabrics, you can't seal the tape to the fabric, unlike more traditional coatings like PU nylon or polyester. Therefore it needs to be done with a sealant rather than tape. This might explain why some come with taped seams and others don't.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Booga » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 pm

I have a Lanshan. Most of it was seam sealed apart from along the zip, not sure if it was necessary but I sealed it anyway.

The only other bit that needed doing (a known quirk of the Lanshans) was where the guyline loops were sewn on, as the factory does this last and sews through the already taped seams.

I mixed silicone sealant with white spirit and applied with a small paintbrush. Can't comment on how it works as I haven't tested the tent yet.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby davekeiller » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:23 pm

I suspect that @ Mal Grey is right about the reason for not seam sealing tents - the cost saving would likely be minimal, and given how much some tents cost I'd be a bit put out if they were trying to cut costs by doing half a job.

As to buying the tent on Ebay, it sounds like you have some concerns about the seller. This is one reason why it's good to use bricks and mortar shops if you can. You can see the product and talk to the staff, and if you have reservations walk straight back out and take your business elsewhere.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Which is all very well, but where are all these outdoor shops that have tents up to look at?....
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Some of the larger Go Outdoors have a range of Eurohike, OEX and Vango tents up. :lol:

As for Lanshan, you could do worse than consider a new one. This is the tent department of the Lanshan store on Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Tent/911827435_10000001021924.html

It comes with sealant and shows you the seam that needs sealing. Lots of examples on Youtube of people doing this to show you the way.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Larger branches of outdoor shops generally have some tents on display, I'm sure if you asked they'd show you the one you're interested in.
It's not unusual for them to have at least some tent displays over the summer if you are able to plan ahead.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:09 am

Good morning all. I hope everyone is keeping well?

So I thought I would post an update. I decided to take the plunge and buy said tent. It was retailing on eBay for circa £90, and at check out I was able to apply a 10% voucher code, so I got it for the princely sum of £81.59.

It arrived yesterday. As yet I have not had it out stuff sack, but it looks fantastic quality wise. I think I was a bit concerned that it was a fly by night character selling it on eBay, but it seems a genuine (BNWT) item.

As regarding the seam sealing I have also decided to buy McNett seam grip and apply, at the end of the day it's not going to do it any harm having an extra layer of protection I guess. So hoping to have up in garden Saturday to apply seam sealant, then look forward to first opportunity to try out in the field.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and input, much appreciated :clap: :clap:
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk