walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Looking to buy a new 2 man tent

Re: Looking to buy a new 2 man tent

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 am

well just a quick update on my thoughts and search so far.

I have looked into the Scarp 1 and pretty much discounted it on two fronts (sorry robin), cost as including import duties etc its almost at the Hilleberg price range and secondly i've had a couple of bad experiences with things from the usa.

Second i don't like using walking poles (i do realise for certain walks they are a necessity) have never got on with them so would prefer a two skin poled tent.

i knocked the Robens out as its an all mesh inner and would prefer a more solid interior which is a shame as i have their challenger (3kg sadly) which is an awesome quality tent.

The Hilleberg is out on weight, i would like a Hilleberg but i can't actually see me using one except for car camping.

So am left with the Nordisk Telemark and the Terra Nova Laser 2 (2022 edition when they announce the update), the Nordisk is favourite as i quite like a lot of its features like only 6 pegs as opposed to the 10 with the Terra Nova, I have a Laser photon 1 and its never let me down i really like it but i want more space.

The main reason for the upgrade is to use it to go long distance hiking with and if the weather has turned into 24 hours of liquid sun i want more space, so my biggest priority is weight and right now the Nordisk ticks that box closely followed by the Terra Nova.

Thankyou for all the comments they are all appreciated as its good to see what other people think, i may have missed something or there is a tent i should have considered etc so thanks.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby gooner_gaz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 am

I have the Telemark 2 and used it on the CWT in September this year. Its a really nice tent that I like a lot. I did get a footprint for it for protection, which increases the weight slightly, but I wanted the peice of mind. I do like a tent that goes up quickly!

Only issue I have had is condensation, as there isn't much venting on the inner. If there is no wind (and no midges) I keep the inner door open to help with this.
gooner_gaz

Munros:184   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:25   Islands:5

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Second i don't like using walking poles (i do realise for certain walks they are a necessity) have never got on with them so would prefer a two skin poled tent.

The scarp is two skinned pole tent, it doesn't use walking poles. I'm a bit of an MSR fanboy these days, have a Freelite 1 for summer use, and use a HubbaHubba NX the rest of the time, wads of space, pretty bombproof in winds, but if you wanted a 4 season then the Access is yer man.

I've seen Scarps in action, they are fantastic tents btw, and Robin is a bit of a tent authority tbh!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby ahukippax » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm

I think buying a tent very much comes down to individual preferences. All tents are a compromise to some extent be it weight / space / durability / cost etc. In my experience there are very few duds. It's just about finding what suits you. One person's compromise is another's non negotiable. I had a Terra Nova competition for backpacking for many years but now prefer a lanshan 2. Others would disagree. However, it's good to know other people's opinions in shaping your own. And choosing a tent is great fun 😁. Good luck with your purchase.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby St Pedro » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:11 am

i recently purchased sea to summit TR2 plus - full mesh inner

lightweight ,1.5kg,tough, very good quality and some innovative touches, 2 well sized porches

13 r old son and westie and i had plenty of room - bought so solo wild camps had plenty room if weather poor

used to used wild country tent, quality but harder to get in, 1 porch and around 3.5kg
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk