walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter tights/leggings

Winter tights/leggings

Postby Andyroo99 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi folks

Looking for recommendations for a good pair of winter legging/tights for the hills.

I've previously worn The North Face Aurora tights which were great but unfortunately no longer available.

I don't like wearing more traditional style trousers on the hill, with their seams and often slightly reduced stretch/flexibility - preferring a more simple pair of leggings/trousers with a plain elasticated waist and plenty of stretch.

The TNF Aurora tights fitted the bill perfectly - no zips/pockets, just a good robust pair of thick-ish tights which were very comfortable and warm - and when conditions were bad could be topped with a pair of salopettes. I've worn a few pairs of Auroras over the years in all Scottish winter weather conditions and also on overseas expeditions to snowy peaks above 20,000ft - but the leggings are now getting very threadbare and so I'm on the lookout for some good replacements.

All recommendations gratefully received!

Cheers.

Andy
Andyroo99

Re: Winter tights/leggings

Postby Colin1951 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:40 pm

If you don’t like trousers (and on a really nasty Scottish winter mountain they have their compensations) try a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters. £15 a pop, dry mega quickly, don’t get too cold when they’re soaking wet. Used to be a sure way of identifying Brits in the Alps!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Andyroo99 wrote:I've previously worn The North Face Aurora tights which were great but unfortunately no longer available.

Are these not a suitable replacement then?
https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/men-bottoms-tights-baselayers/mens-winter-warm-tight-5gau
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Andyroo99 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Many thanks for your replies and thoughts/recommendations - much appreciated.

Yep, I had a pair of Ron Hills back in the 1980s! And I recall how common they were on the hills of the UK - and also the Alps!!
Andyroo99

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk