walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Alpkit Jura Smock

Alpkit Jura Smock

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 pm

Does anyone have any personal experience of these? I am tempted to try one out, just not entirely sure on their waterproofness though. I am also somewhat of a heavy sweater so also a bit concerned how this will dissipate with the fleece lining.

I know they appear to be similar to Buffalo products but having never had them either I can't comment.

If anyone has any comments, positive or negative, I would be intrigued to hear.

Many thanks.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Re: Alpkit Jura Smock

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:24 pm

I have a Buffalo and i only use it around zero temp as i find it far too warm and that is not wearing anything underneath it, just remember they are not waterproof but will repel rain to a certain degree.
Never really had a problem with sweating and wetting out the garment which means it must be working correctly.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Low Level Walker » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks Giant Stoneater for reply. I may try and drop some subtle hints to Mrs LLW and see if Santa will be kind to me this xmas. :D
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Postby Ben More » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:23 pm

I've had one since early this year. I really like it. Not used it in heavy rain - I'm sure it would cope to a degree, but, I would chose a more dedicated waterproof if I know it was likely to rain a lot.

I have used it in Baltic cold conditions with just a L/S tee shirt underneath. It was very comfortable. There are very good venting options. The build quality is good and it feels comfortable to wear.

I believe Alpkit have it discounted at the moment. I would certainly recommend it.

I did have a Buffalo 6 many years ago. Think it is a bit thinner than the Buffalo, but, scores well with the hood.
Ben More
Mountain Walker

Munros:149   

Postby naefearjustbeer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:44 pm

I have one and have used it quite a bit, It is very warm and the vents are good for getting an airflow on a breezy day, I either wear a thin base layer or nothing underneath it. However it has only just come back out to play as far too warm for me in summer and autumn. Have been out in howling gales of wind and it has kept me warm. I have yet to be caught in a extended downpour as i tend to cherry pick my days for heading out, so cannot comment on how it deals with that but i am very happy with it.
naefearjustbeer
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby James Picksley » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:01 pm

I have the buffalo mountain shirt. I think it's brilliant in the right conditions. I generally wear it on cold (below -5), dry days. I wear it next to the skin which is how they're meant to work best and have the hood, which is great. It wicks really well (I also sweat a fair amount!). Open all vents for working hard even when it's really cold. It dries inside fast when you lock it down and it's windproof. Had it over 10 years and it's still fine and doesn't smell. The best bit of hill clothing I've ever purchased. It's not waterproof but will hold off some light rain and even when wet it still works well. If the alpkit is anywhere near as good it'll be great.
James Picksley

Munros:228   Corbetts:32

Postby mikedunn » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Bitterly cold wind on Wednesday; wore my new Jura - it performed well. Similar to my old Buffalo Big Face Shirt, but comes with a hood and at a more modest price. A good piece of kit!!.
mikedunn
Stravaiging

Munros:233   Corbetts:205
Fionas:131   Donalds:89+51
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:27   Islands:29

Postby naefearjustbeer » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm

Used mine in anger this morning wind gusting 40-50mph with Hail sleet and snow squalls coming in. Hood up and nice and warm in the teeth of it and once in more sheltered spots was positively warm and had to open zips. I only had a thin base layer under it. I am very impressed.
naefearjustbeer
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 pm

Hi all. Meant to say, Mrs LLW bought me the Montane Extreme smock for my Xmas. She knows I’m a bit of a Montane fan boy, as she puts it.

I take it, it will be pretty much similar to the Alpkit and Buffalo ones. I have to say I’m impressed with it, I don’t know about not wearing a base layer underneath though. Each to their own I guess.

My only grumble is Mrs LLW knows that I am normally an XL in jackets and tops, but for Montane I normally need to size up. It’s a bit of a faff getting on and off, I think an XXL would have fitted me better.

But all said, first impressions are very favourable 👍
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk