walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Manta Tech GTX

Scarpa Manta Tech GTX

Postby martin1909 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi all. Thinking about getting a pair of Scarpa Manta Tech GTX for the winter. As seen below. Can anyone who owns these tell me what they think. Taa

scarpa-manta-tech-gtx-mountaineering-boots.jpg
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Re: Scarpa Manta Tech GTX

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm

Whats your intended use?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby martin1909 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:58 am

Winter hiking, particularly later on in winter when the snow is hard and icy. The boots I have now wont take a crampon as they are to flexible
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Postby prog99 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 am

I've two pairs of previous generation mantas (well one pair are rebels but same thing just the european name). They are heavy and I tend to avoid using them unless on more technical ground. They are a great boot though , I don't know if you saw Dan's review here https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/scarpa_manta_tech_gtx-13170

I'd shop around as they are expensive though! And don't bother getting c2 crampons, c1 are just fine.
And make sure they fit as other wise it'll be a very expensive purchase.

fwiw, my summer boots will take a c1 crampon as despite being light they are rigid enough that a crampon can't fall off.

Enjoy your snowy walks.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:23 pm

@martin1909 I've just ordered a pair of these, to be used with my petzl vasak c1 crampons, my thinking being that they seem a good compromise ie not to rigid, so can walk big days, and the c1 crampons can also be used with my 3 season boots of needed.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby James Picksley » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm

I've just replaced an old pair. They were a poor boot in my opinion and I should have replaced a long time ago. I tried a new pair and they felt terrible on my foot. Seem to have a massive heel area. If most of your winter stuff is walking there are much better boots out there, such as the Mammut kento Pro high goretex.

Much more comfy, nice and light, will take up to a c2 and will work for easier climbs. You could just wear them all year round they're so comfy. Try some other boots before buying the manta.
James Picksley

Munros:228   Corbetts:32

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 pm

Came last week perfect sized, exactly like my old scarpa delta. Seem comfy, though only had a few short walks in them.

Mate up really nicely with petzl vasak crampons. 👌
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby GregC » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi,

They are great boots - if they fit your feet. Having spent a few years 'in the trade' it really is worth getting your boots fitted. It's a little trickier at the moment but it will save you many blisters and money.

If fitting yourself a handy trick is to take the insole out of the boot, making sure your heel is nicely fitted in the cup of the insole and wearing your hiking socks, and stand on it. There should be roughly a 2cm gap between the end of your toe and the end of the insole (or a finger width - thumb for small hands). Check that there are no pressure points nor your foot moving around excessively. Give a good kick on the ground to make sure your toes are not bashing the front and climb a ramp to see how your heel fits.

If looking on the internet it's worth knowing the shape of your foot and the different lasts that different manufacturers use and use between their boots. Scarpa's website has a good breakdown of lasts versus foot shape which is handy. As a general guide the more technical the boot is the lower the volume is to increase precision and feel. Very broadly boots from the same country tend to have similar lasts (there are always exceptions). Italian boots tend to be narrower, Germanic boots fairly flaired but can be a bit low in the instep/arch, British boots that classic Scarpa high volume last (B I think..).

As for matching crampons to boots, if you do go for a 3 season boot it's worth getting a flexible C1 walking crampon as apposed to a regular C1 so that it can flex with the boot. This is to stop your boot flexing out of your less flexible crampon at exactly the wrong moment (steep gully/traverse with lots of stress and flex on boot and crampon).

Personally I prefer a B2 boot as the extra rigidity helps to cut into the snow and create a better connection with the crampon but they still have a rocker and some flex. There's also usually slightly less faf putting the crampons on. B1 feel too floppy and B3 boots tend not to have a rocker on them and are uncomfortably stiff to walk on paths getting to the mountain tops.

I'm sure you've all heard this before and appoligies - but thought it's worth mentioning

Cheers

Greg
GregC
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Manta made their maiden voyage today, a wee sociable wander up Beinn Luibhean by the rest and be thankful.

Comfortable, warm and very good grip on sodden terrain, good first impression, they'll get a stiffer test on Saturday. 👌🏻
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk