walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS/Inreach setup for remote multi-day trekking

GPS/Inreach setup for remote multi-day trekking

Postby GregC » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi all,

I hope you can help with some advice on a setup up for remote long distance trekking. The plan is to do the CWT and long distance treks around the world such as the PCT/CDT so what works well? This will be my first purchase of a gps as I've always just used a map and compass but my loved ones would like to know where I am and being able to contact the emergency services seems really sensible for a solo backpacker.

My thoughts so far are split between (all including map and compass):
Inreach mini and gps/mapping and photos/video on phone (happy to use grid ref on maps from inreach);
Inreach mini, handhelp gps leaving phone free for photos and videos;
Inreach explorer+/66i again leaving phone free for photos and videos.

I like the idea of just looking at a map on a screen and knowing where I am and the direction I need to go in, especially when its blowing a gale and pouring with rain. The first option is tempting but concerned about draining the batteries on the inreach and phone too quickly (i've read most folk pair the inreach mini to their phone). The second seems like a lot of electronic stuff and probably works out the same cost as the third option. The third option again I'm not sure about battery life. In all options I'd take along a battery bank so I could recharge the gear so not sure if this is an issue so long as you make sure you always have plenty of charge left in the battery to cover emergencies.

Are there better setups?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Greg
GregC
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Re: GPS/Inreach setup for remote multi-day trekking

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi Greg, when I did the CWT earlier this year I used the Garmin InReach Mini as my standalone communicator to let my partner know I was safe 3-4 times a day. I didn't bother with tracking as its costly or you have to get the more expensive plan. I only connected the Garmin to my phone if I wanted to send a message out as its quicker through the app. You'll get about 6-7 days solid use before the InReach Mini needs charging, this is assuming you don't have it connected to phones or watches etc. Do use the original Garmin cable though when charging up the device.

Annoyingly the InReach Mini doesn't give you a OS grid reference, only long/lat.

Navigation wise I used the Viewranger app with the Walkhighlands routes uploaded and the Harvey's map and a compass as back up. Make sure to use flight mode as there's very little signal and not using flight mode will drain your phone quick smart unfortunately. I charged my phone up every 2/3 days.

PS. I carried a 20000 mAh powerbank and charged it up after 9 days at Ullapool.

Hope this helps, any questions then give me a shout.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby GregC » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks WalkWithWallace, seems like a neat system that has worked well for you - I have enjoyed watching your videos. :)

Money is always a factor but if it weren't would that be your ideal setup? It is a bit annoying that it doesn't have the option to change how the reference format. Good to know that you can also get just about a week's worth of battery out of the mini.

Cheers

Greg
GregC
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Tbh, I wouldn't change anything on that set up. I also wear a Garmin Instinct Solar, so I can get a grid reference off the watch or Viewranger if I'm totally lost.

The Garmin inReach Mini did fail, but I think that was user error using a cheap micro USB cable attempting to charge it up.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:22 am

I’m in a similar position to you Greg. I have the inreach mini purely for the sos function and I use os maps/os locate/GridPoint gb on my iPhone. I did consider getting a map/inreach device but if it fails for any reason you’ve lost the lot. I might get an etrex 10 or 22 but not essential as my phone does that.

Robin a lot of Garmin devices are cable specific my in reach mini works on my Mac with my Garmin sat nav cable which I leave permanently connected leaving my inreach cable to be used when I’m mobile, my Mac doesn’t recognise either using an ordinary usb cable (am sure some tech wiz will say there is a resistor or something in the cable so it knows it’s a genuine cable).
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby GregC » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks guys,

That's not great that the mini failed due to a change in cable - seems like the orignial cable is exactly the kind of thing I would loose.

I was thinking the inreach with map as if the phone failed I would have a gps back-up (or vice versa) where as if the phone fails with the mini there is no useable gps back-up. I'm not sure I'd like to figure out converting long/lat to OS grid in my head - if ever.

The gps watch, phone and mini is not something I thought of though but around the same price as the 66i. How do you find using a solar watch in Scotland?

Thinking a bit more about while typing this out, inreach mini and phone makes perfect sense. I'll probably end up using the phone for navigation a lot but just for the convenience but the map and compass will always be in the top pocket.

Cheers

Greg
GregC
Mountain Walker

Postby Scottk » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:37 pm

I use an inreach mini & suunto ambit 3 peak watch. Got my phone, map and compass for back up. Works great for me. The watch has the route on it and I can follow it as a line, it also gives a grid reference if needed.
When this watch gets changed, I will be getting a garmin Fenix 6 as I think the software for that is better and more user friendly.
I use a 10000 mah power bank which lasts me about a week.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 pm

GregC wrote:How do you find using a solar watch in Scotland?

During sunny days, the Solar Intensity screen is always through the roof, but I'm unsure of how much extra battery life it deliveries. I was charging up the watch every 3 days, that's with HR switched off, but recording GPS route constantly. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby GregC » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:58 pm

I think a GPS watch is definitely on the list at some point. I do a fair bit of mountain biking and it would be handy to have.

Unfortunately though all my backpacking kit is about 10/20yrs old so looking to replace a lot of it. Nothing wrong with the gear but by replacing the tent, backpack and sleeping bag I'd easly knock off 4kgs from the base weight. Amazing how light kit is now.

Still it is Christmas and I have been good... :D
GregC
Mountain Walker

Postby GregC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:33 am

Just a quick update and thanks for all the help. Recently went ahead and purchased the Garmin Inreach Mini 2. Good news is that it now does OS Grid Reference (British Grid?) so pretty much perfect for what I need. Looks like I'll be attempting the CWT this May so fingers crossed.
GregC
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:08 pm

GregC wrote:Just a quick update and thanks for all the help. Recently went ahead and purchased the Garmin Inreach Mini 2. Good news is that it now does OS Grid Reference (British Grid?) so pretty much perfect for what I need. Looks like I'll be attempting the CWT this May so fingers crossed.

That's good to know with regards to the OSGRs, you wonder if they deliberately handicap previous models so they can implement the changes in the newer model. You see it more in the camera industry.

Good luck for the CWT. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby GregC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:23 pm

Not sure, think it's probably more that they were thinking of the American market and didn't think the UK would be bothered with in reach minis. I think the chip, resolution and improved (I believe) breadcrumb trail is more in line with holding features back to upgrade later.

Thanks regarding CWT, think I'm need it as feeling very unprepared.
GregC
Mountain Walker

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:12 am

Just wondering is there a software update available for the original mini? If so that might give the grid reference I’ll have to give it a try
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:24 am

SteveNorthumberland wrote:Just wondering is there a software update available for the original mini? If so that might give the grid reference I’ll have to give it a try

just connected my in reach mini to my mac and it still says version 3.70 no updates available sadly
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:59 am

I'd recommend plugging your Garmin into your laptop and Garmin Connect before every trip to check for updates.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk