walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Postby MRG1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:43 pm

So today I received the dreaded email saying that access to Viewranger is being lost in February 2022.
I've tried it's replacement (Outdoor Active) but found it wanting.
So basically I'm looking for ideas for an Android replacement.
Reliability is a key requirement but I'm also wanting to be able to use less battery power as I did with Viewranger.
Also I'm looking for something that allows me to use the free open source cycle maps (or similar) and to download them (again, as I could with Viewranger).
I'm thinking that all those in an app that doesn't demand a subscription for more than minimal functions is a bit of a pipedream but I can live in hope eh.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Re: Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:05 pm

I've found OS Maps fine since I stopped using Viewranger. It had been horrifically buggy for a while but has been solid for a while now. It doesn't have the arrow or altitude displayed on the map but I have a watch for that anyway.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jolly47roger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:08 pm

I've used Locus for many years without problems. You can load your own maps and there are maps available that show Core Paths in the Highlands
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 pm

I've had so many different navigation apps on my phone and I keep going back to TopoGPS, seems the closest to Viewranger so far, my only gripe is I can't seem to get 1:50k. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby MRG1 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I've used OS maps a few times with the downloaded digital versions of paper maps I've purchased, it seems ok but I was looking for an app that can also strip it back to the basic maps (preferably for free).
On the subject of altitude and other information, I'm not sure if you've seen it but there is an "OS locate" app that provides a compass, altitude and coordinates :thumbup:

I've taken a look at TopoGPS before but for the life of me I can't find any stripped back free maps. Is there a function like that hidden in it?

I must say, Locus looks pretty promising at first glance (he says after spending an hour exploring it ) :lol:
How reliable is it when recording a track over 5 or 6 hours?
Also, what is its battery usage like?
MRG1
Rambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Free? None of them are expensive, especially when you think we used to have no option but to buy maps for every area we went to (I still do!)

Dig deep.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby jolly47roger » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 pm

TOPOGPS are quite clear : the app is free but they make their money from maps.

It depends on the phone, but in airplane mode I used to use around 50% of battery in a 6-hour day with Locus. Battery packs are not expensive nowadays.

If you want 'free' there will be annoying ads.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:47 pm

jolly47roger wrote:It depends on the phone, but in airplane mode I used to use around 50% of battery in a 6-hour day with Locus. Battery packs are not expensive nowadays.

50% is quite a lot, I use around 15-20% that includes some photographs too.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 pm

Aye, nowhere near 50%, more like 20%.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:25 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Free? None of them are expensive, especially when you think we used to have no option but to buy maps for every area we went to (I still do!)

Dig deep.

I know, what can I say, I'm a cheapskate :D
I liked Viewranger because I could download the free maps and then just buy OS map tiles as and when the need arose but yeah, the digital tiles on most of the apps and / or subscriptions are much cheaper than the paper options.
I'm quite lucky re paper maps as the Rambler's group I'm in keeps an up-to-date library of the 50k maps that any of us can borrow.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby MRG1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:39 pm

jolly47roger wrote:TOPOGPS are quite clear : the app is free but they make their money from maps.

It depends on the phone, but in airplane mode I used to use around 50% of battery in a 6-hour day with Locus. Battery packs are not expensive nowadays.

If you want 'free' there will be annoying ads.

I used Locus today alongside Gaia to record my track and they weren't too bad on battery, about 15% each for four hours. About the same I was getting with Viewranger.
Although I realised two hours in that they were recording poor tracks, basically just straight lines. I fixed it by switching off my battery optimiser, hopefully this doesn't have a drastic effect on my battery.
So I've narrowed it down to either Locus or Gaia, probably Locus because OS maps can be bought and downloaded.
Thanks for the Locus mention, it seems to be a bit of a hidden gem.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Did you put your phone in airplane mode? This helps massively. Tracking doesn't work in battery saver mode, only looks for data sporadically, hence the straight lines.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Did you put your phone in airplane mode? This helps massively. Tracking doesn't work in battery saver mode, only looks for data sporadically, hence the straight lines.

I switched the data off but I needed to be able to receive calls / texts yesterday but to be fair I thought 15% battery for four hours was quite good. It was similar to my Viewranger battery usage.
Yeah I got caught out by the straight lines, Viewranger wasn't affected by my battery saver and I had set up Locus and Gaia to be excluded from it just in case.
It turns out I need to switch off the battery saver entirely though, you live and learn.
Ironically after yesterday's testing I've discovered that my smart watch records a more accurate track.
I've also discovered that due to a recent update I can now save that track to other apps and devices so I may well use that from now on and just use the phone app to navigate only. That should further save my phone battery.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

Turn off Bluetooth too, that'll save more power. Aye, smartwatch should have a more accurate track than a phone, it's a dedicated GPS chipset.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Glengavel » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:19 am

Bluetooth seems to really tax my mobile phone battery, much more than WiFi.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk