walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Re: Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Postby MRG1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 pm

BrightEyes16 wrote:
MRG1 wrote:I hope it goes some way to helping.

It does, a lot, thanks so much for the detailed reply! I've had another look myself after reading this and can see a few things the Thunderforest maps are lacking now that OpenTopo has detail for.

I see your point about the OS Opendata contour lines too.. Have you found a way to layer them with the OpenTopo map without it looking messy with two set of contour lines? I've played around a lot and still am not fully satisfied.. By adjusting the tint, contrast and layer mode etc you can make it better at least though.

I have tried and tried and then tried a bit more with that messy contour line problem but I haven't been able to solve it unfortunately.
Something I have done recently was to use software to create a GPX track along a path shown on an Openstreetmap based map.
I then loaded that into BCN pro over the top of the OS maps.
So then you've got an OS map with an accurate representation of an Openstreetmap path on it.
It's a bit long-winded but it's an option.
I generally find that the Openstreetmap maps on Alpinequest give me a good enough idea of the contours so that's why they remain my go-to.
The "DEM slopes (+30°) layer "is especially useful and surprisingly accurate.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby MRG1 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:49 am

BrightEyes16 wrote:
MRG1 wrote:I hope it goes some way to helping.

It does, a lot, thanks so much for the detailed reply! I've had another look myself after reading this and can see a few things the Thunderforest maps are lacking now that OpenTopo has detail for.

I see your point about the OS Opendata contour lines too.. Have you found a way to layer them with the OpenTopo map without it looking messy with two set of contour lines? I've played around a lot and still am not fully satisfied.. By adjusting the tint, contrast and layer mode etc you can make it better at least though.

Sorry, me again :lol:
I'm currently planning some walks and was suddenly reminded of a definite plus for the Thunderforest Outdoor map.
It shows, highlights and identifies many, if not all, of the waymarked trails.
Everything from the biggies like the West Highland Way and Southern Upland Way down to the little obscure ones.
Likewise the "OSM waymarked trails layers" map does the same.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby jolly47roger » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:11 pm

Have you found a way to layer them with the OpenTopo...

The way to do it seems to be to separate the vector layers from various sources (OS Opendata, OSM, Corepaths, Rowmaps,...) and combine the ones you want. Then either render as a raster map at zoom 14/15 or use an app (Locus, Orux, BCN (not XE)) that can handle the vector map natively. Or compile it as a Garmin map.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-06-01-21-45-11-605_menion.android.locus.pro.jpg
Mostly OSM Opendata, red path from OSM, green dots are a Core Path
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby MRG1 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:24 pm

jolly47roger wrote:
Have you found a way to layer them with the OpenTopo...

The way to do it seems to be to separate the vector layers from various sources (OS Opendata, OSM, Corepaths, Rowmaps,...) and combine the ones you want. Then either render as a raster map at zoom 14/15 or use an app (Locus, Orux, BCN (not XE)) that can handle the vector map natively. Or compile it as a Garmin map.

Ok, if I'm honest ... I kind of get what you mean but youve also completely lost me.
Do you know anywhere where I could read up on how to do that?
Because I did try to get to the bottom of how to create my own vector maps from sources like OS opendata and OSM but I gave up.
I don't have a laptop or similar, only my phone and tablet so from what I read I wouldn't be able to do it.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby jolly47roger » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:46 pm

It took me a few years - off and on - to get it done. I had to write quite a lot of code myself and also used tools like MKGMAP and MOBAC that can't - as far as I know - run on phones or tablets.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby MRG1 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm

jolly47roger wrote:It took me a few years - off and on - to get it done. I had to write quite a lot of code myself and also used tools like MKGMAP and MOBAC that can't - as far as I know - run on phones or tablets.

I commend you for your dedication, unfortunately I give up far too easily so that rules me out :D
You sound quite tech savvy, have you considered creating a navigation app?
MRG1
Rambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk