walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Re: Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Postby MRG1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:Thanks again Matthew. Actually, after writing my last message (this time I had a notification sent to me straight away) I came across some useful information that allowed me to see many more functions in alpinequest that inexplicably I couldn't see before, and I saw that you can do a lot more with it, including following a route. Thank you for adding your link. I like this app, as I get the downloadable opencycle maps that I wanted. I am happy to pay the fee as I still only have the demo version. I will have to find a solution for access to OS when my current digital subscription runs out.

Alpinequest is a good wee app isn't it.
Be sure to get the full version though, I tried the "Alpinequest lite" app and was going to pay extra for access to the functions that I wanted but luckily realised that the full app existed.
It's just a shame it doesn't have OS maps on it, apparently it used to but ran into some sort of copyright issue.

I'm currently using Backcountry navigator Pro for my OS maps, but I suspect that sometime in the future the app may lose access like Alpinequest did. Hopefully not.
I also have the Openandromaps Scotland map on it for backup.
It's a very simple app, it has nowhere the same number of functions as Alpinequest but the OS maps are handy.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Mar Coltrane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:37 am

Good idea, I will download the Openandromaps for Scotland if they can be used offline, as travelling to Scotland hopefully in May. But my OS subscription will still be valid anyway.
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby MRG1 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:02 am

Mar Coltrane wrote:Good idea, I will download the Openandromaps for Scotland if they can be used offline, as travelling to Scotland hopefully in May. But my OS subscription will still be valid anyway.

To complicate the issue and throw another app into the mix, if you don't want to pay for Backcountry navigator Pro until your OS subscription runs out, the Openandromap works on the free version of Locus as well

Yes, the Openandromaps can be used offline, Scotland is downloaded in one file. As is England, etc. Be aware that some of the islands have a separate map though.
The maps look a bit strange to me (blocky paths etc) but they're incredibly detailed with path details and amenities.
I think they're based on the Openstreetmap data.

I hope the weather has improved for you in May, it certainly can't get any worse than the last few weeks anyway :lol:
MRG1
Rambler

Postby Mar Coltrane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:29 pm

Thank you, were're definitely having lovely weather & no midges in May! I have been using Locus. I think I managed to download the Great Britain Openandromap on Locus. I couldnt find the split maps, although I am sure I saw them somewhere when I downloaded them to Oruxmaps a couple of weeks ago. I think I have overdosed on apps!
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:24 pm

So ViewRanger lives on for another day. After losing the app on Monday morning I downloaded this previous version and got all my map tiles and POIs back. Happy Days. :D

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/augmentra/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk-10-11-50-release/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk-10-11-50-android-apk-download/download/
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Mar Coltrane » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:00 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:So ViewRanger lives on for another day. After losing the app on Monday morning I downloaded this previous version and got all my map tiles and POIs back. Happy Days. :D

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/augmentra/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk-10-11-50-release/viewranger-hike-ride-or-walk-10-11-50-android-apk-download/download/

I downloaded from your link & had the same as before: sending me to ourdooractive. Where did you download from in this link? Many thanks
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:54 pm

It tried that with me, but I logged in with my username and password, then it let me in as normal. 🤔 Make sure it isn't then downloading the latest version.

Or are you getting the black screen?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby MRG1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:So ViewRanger lives on for another day. After losing the app on Monday morning I downloaded this previous version and got all my map tiles and POIs back. Happy Days. :D

I downloaded from your link & had the same as before: sending me to ourdooractive. Where did you download from in this link? Many thanks

There should be a choice to skip that bit. For me it was in the top right.
Unfortunately I had already uninstalled viewranger so I'd lost all my data.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby Mar Coltrane » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:42 am

MRG1 wrote:
Mar Coltrane wrote:

There should be a choice to skip that bit. For me it was in the top right.
Unfortunately I had already uninstalled viewranger so I'd lost all my data.

I found that older version somewhere else. It downloaded ok, but when I synchronized, I only got my routes & waypoints, but not my 1300 recorded tracks. I couldn't copy & paste the old viewranger files into the new app, as my phone wouldn't give me that option, but will try on a laptop later today. Hopefully it will work. Now, how do I stop the app from being updated??? I don't think you can isolate one app from automatic updates, can you?
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:25 am

I've got an Android phone and I have switched off automatic updates, I get a notification and go do them manually so I can miss out Viewranger. Doesn't take much longer to be fair. The lengths some of us are prepared to go to. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Mar Coltrane » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:50 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:I've got an Android phone and I have switched off automatic updates, I get a notification and go do them manually so I can miss out Viewranger. Doesn't take much longer to be fair. The lengths some of us are prepared to go to. :lol:

Absolutely! I have that switched off too, so I update them all when I want to, but now will have to deselect VR, yes! :lol:
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby albacore » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:18 pm

With Android you can stop autoupdate on specific apps whilst allowing the rest to autoupdate.
To do it you have to find the app in the Play store, in this case Viewranger - it's still there at the moment
Then click on the Viewranger logo at the top left, till you get the 3 dot menu and you can turn off autoupdate there.

I also tried using Netguard to block all Viewranger data (cellular and wifi), but the problem then is that gps fix is very slow.
albacore
Mountaineer

Postby BillMcI » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:54 pm

I've noticed the same question on a number of other outdoor sites and so far I haven't heard anyone find one they were totally happy with. Like many I used VR on a number of long trails in Scotland and found it excellent for what I needed. Others may have different needs and I can't comment on those. Me, I want good quality, reliable maps, on my phone, that retains my route markings when offline and which gives an audible alert if I deviate. I walk with my daughter and we talk a lot!

I'm trialling OS Premium Maps currently. They have a choice of great maps and styles but the interface could be a lot simpler and is hardly intuitive. You can download routes offline but so far, it has only brought the map down not the route itself (it is supposed to bring both). Since I download a lot of GPX files that is not too encouraging. It also has an alert system which has only worked once out of 10 off routes and was a simple one time IOS notification, easy to assume you've got a message and ignore. Then it goes to a black, very small panel which will be impossible to read when it rains in the hills. Anyone who had VR will know it rang and rang and rang ......It may be because I'm not used to it but I can't use that as an excuse for losing routes on download or forgetting to alert you about being off route. I'm off in about 3 weeks so I better get used to it quickly but to be sure I'm taking paper maps also. I'll let you know.

One final comment - it is surprising that many companies, bigger and better resourced than VR, can't match VR's functionality. Outdooractive in particular.
BillMcI
Hill Bagger

Postby bar72 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:05 pm

bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Tomper88 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:34 pm

BillMcI wrote:I've noticed the same question on a number of other outdoor sites and so far I haven't heard anyone find one they were totally happy with. Like many I used VR on a number of long trails in Scotland and found it excellent for what I needed. Others may have different needs and I can't comment on those. Me, I want good quality, reliable maps, on my phone, that retains my route markings when offline and which gives an audible alert if I deviate. I walk with my daughter and we talk a lot!

I'm trialling OS Premium Maps currently. They have a choice of great maps and styles but the interface could be a lot simpler and is hardly intuitive. You can download routes offline but so far, it has only brought the map down not the route itself (it is supposed to bring both). Since I download a lot of GPX files that is not too encouraging. It also has an alert system which has only worked once out of 10 off routes and was a simple one time IOS notification, easy to assume you've got a message and ignore. Then it goes to a black, very small panel which will be impossible to read when it rains in the hills. Anyone who had VR will know it rang and rang and rang ......It may be because I'm not used to it but I can't use that as an excuse for losing routes on download or forgetting to alert you about being off route. I'm off in about 3 weeks so I better get used to it quickly but to be sure I'm taking paper maps also. I'll let you know.

One final comment - it is surprising that many companies, bigger and better resourced than VR, can't match VR's functionality. Outdooractive in particular.

Hi Bill,

How is your trial going? I am (like so many, it seems) looking for a suitable VR alternative and OS currently leading the way from my research.

That said, having both the map and the route offline is crucial for me, so I am disappointed to hear that function does not appear to work. Any joy on that front?

I like to download the GPX, have phone on airplane mode (for battery saving + peace and quiet) and then have VR for a convenient and quick glance as required (with Harvey in my bag; also as required!)

Cheers
Tomper88

Munros:61   Corbetts:2

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk