walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Re: Ideas for Viewranger replacement.

Postby Mar Coltrane » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Locus Pro with OS Maps 1:50K (see screenshot). Zoom in and I get 1:25K. I'm liking it so far. 8)

So how did you manage to get the OS maps on Locus? I thought OS maps were not available on Locus, or maybe I just missed a post somewhere!
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby peterkn » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:39 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:If you downloaded map tiles with ViewRanger (VR) over the years, they are now offering you to download your legacy maps on OutdoorActive (OA), I tried and despite several attempts, couldn't get it to work. Really don't like the OA app at all, so I'm finished with VR/OA.

I've been trying TopoGPS and Locus side by side, I'm swaying towards the latter now. Just feels like a more polished app to me. Bit more expensive for maps, I paid £3.60 for the whole of the Cheviots, but that includes 1:50 and 1:25K.

I had trouble importing my map tiles from Viewranger into Outdooractive, but found I could after uninstalling and reinstalling Outdooractive. I now have all my old Viewranger tracks in Outdooractive. Can't complain, I haven't paid Outdooractive for anything - yet.
peterkn
Walker

Postby Mar Coltrane » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm

MRG1 wrote:So today I received the dreaded email saying that access to Viewranger is being lost in February 2022.
I've tried it's replacement (Outdoor Active) but found it wanting.
So basically I'm looking for ideas for an Android replacement.
Reliability is a key requirement but I'm also wanting to be able to use less battery power as I did with Viewranger.
Also I'm looking for something that allows me to use the free open source cycle maps (or similar) and to download them (again, as I could with Viewranger).
I'm thinking that all those in an app that doesn't demand a subscription for more than minimal functions is a bit of a pipedream but I can live in hope eh.

So, in summary, which apps give OS grid references as an option, besides OS app? Which apps use imperial? Which apps include OS maps whether included in the subscription or not? Which allow you to download opencycle for offline use? Which give you the most accurate recording of a walk (some do cut out corners, not helpful if you are navigating- with VR I could set the accuracy however I wanted). Many more questions...but not today. Many thanks
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby MRG1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:Locus Pro with OS Maps 1:50K (see screenshot). Zoom in and I get 1:25K. I'm liking it so far. 8)

So how did you manage to get the OS maps on Locus? I thought OS maps were not available on Locus, or maybe I just missed a post somewhere!

I'm sorry, I haven't checked the forum for the past few days so apologies for my delay.
I'll use this message to try to respond as much as I can.

I dumped Gaia too, it was ok but didn't really suit.

I don't think that Backcountry navigator Pro can be synced between devices or the web.
They have a newer version called Backcountry navigator XE which does all that .... I THINK.
I'll try to find a link they emailed me that may help.

Locus does definitely allow downloading of OS map areas, if I remember correctly you need to search for "ordnance survey" in the locus store on the app.

I know for sure that Alpinequest and Backcountry navigator Pro can be set for OS grid references AND imperial units.
I just downloaded the free Locus to check and it does appear that locus allows the same.

Backcountry navigator pro includes OS maps for (currently) a one off fee.
Backcountry navigator XE includes OS maps in its yearly subscription (£14 I think).
Locus allows purchase and downloads of OS map areas
The app mentioned earlier on the thread allows purchasing of OS map tiles at a good price if after small areas. If I remember correctly it was called TopoGB.

Alpinequest definitely allows downloads of the OSM cycle maps and loads of the other OSM as well.

I think locus allows the cycle map download too but I'm not sure if it's included in the paid version or whether it's an extra purchase / subscription.

I talked about the accuracy of some of the apps in my reply too you on the pilgrimchris forum earlier today.

Hope this helps.
Matthew.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby MRG1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:30 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:

Sorry I've used the quote with the least text in order to facilitate this response.

This is the backcountry navigator link that shows it can be used on the web but I'm not sure about syncing.
https://bcnavxe.com/#/pricing-plans

I've included two screenshots of my Alpinequest app showing the OSM and Thunderforest maps (based on OSM) available for viewing online AND downloading for offline use.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220206_202455.jpg
Screenshot_20220206_202444.jpg
MRG1
Rambler

Postby walkingpoles » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:16 pm

I read all the posts in this thread but couldn't find the infos that are relevant to me. If I missed it, please post a link or quote the relevant posts.

Thanks a lot!!

Is there a clear favourite if I need an app that works globally (also places that won't have proper hiking maps, like the middle of the Sahara, Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica, you name it) and has contour lines and knows about forests and maybe glaciers?

Bonus points if it also knows street names (of Ouagadougou for example). And double bonus point if it also knows of metro stations (as in Barcelona).

If it can display the distance /height difference between the actual position and a random point on the map, that would be appreciated as well.

I have no need of compatibility with OS maps or being able to show routes. If I need 2 different apps to enjoy all those properties, then so be it.

Viewranger worked very well in all instances of above, and I was hoping OA keeps viewranger as it still is just now. I was wrong.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby china88 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:45 pm

I use Gia GPS for all my needs in remote places in the world that I have to travel too. I do use satellite devices but that's for communication,

For your needs which you describe which include elevation data etc the free option using Open Street Map which Gai.GPS uses as its base layer would be sufficient I feel. Moreover agains your criterea

' it can display the distance /height difference between the actual position and a random point on the map'

Note you can add map layers some are free some are not

good luck
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby Mar Coltrane » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:
MRG1 wrote:So today I received the dreaded email saying that access to Viewranger is being lost in February 2022.
Reliability is a key requirement but I'm also wanting to be able to use less battery power as I did with Viewranger.
Also I'm looking for something that allows me to use the free open source cycle maps (or similar) and to download them (again, as I could with Viewranger).
I'm thinking that all those in an app that doesn't demand a subscription for more than minimal functions is a bit of a pipedream but I can live in hope eh.

So, in summary, which apps give OS grid references as an option, besides OS app? Which apps use imperial? Which apps include OS maps whether included in the subscription or not? Which allow you to download opencycle for offline use? Which give you the most accurate recording of a walk (some do cut out corners, not helpful if you are navigating- with VR I could set the accuracy however I wanted). Many more questions...but not today. Many thanks

Thank you Matthew. I only received notification of your message today, 20th! I think I saw your other message.
One issue I have just realised is that many of these applications do not have a "follow a route" option. I haven't needed a garmin since started using VR years ago. Locus has the option but it failed me several times when I tried it this week. Backcountry does not have that option, and I don't think Alpinequest has it either, which is a shame, as this one has the option of opencycle included in the fee. I can't use the app in the demo version, but I do not see anything in the settings that makes me think you can follow a route there. It is quite unbelievable to think that you need so many apps to replace just one! (and I was using it for free!)
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

Postby Scottk » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:30 am

I use memory map. No idea if it will do everything you want but I can follow a route and it has all the os maps downloaded to my phone.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:19 am

There's apparently a new Anquet app coming out, one of our MRT guys has had a look at it and seems pretty impressed, not sure when though.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby MRG1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:33 pm

Mar Coltrane wrote:
Mar Coltrane wrote:

Thank you Matthew. I only received notification of your message today, 20th! I think I saw your other message.
One issue I have just realised is that many of these applications do not have a "follow a route" option. I haven't needed a garmin since started using VR years ago. Locus has the option but it failed me several times when I tried it this week. Backcountry does not have that option, and I don't think Alpinequest has it either, which is a shame, as this one has the option of opencycle included in the fee. I can't use the app in the demo version, but I do not see anything in the settings that makes me think you can follow a route there. It is quite unbelievable to think that you need so many apps to replace just one! (and I was using it for free!)

No problems, I never receive notifications from the site about replies so I just check the forum every few days.
Alpinequest does have a "follow path" function but I've never tried to use it previously so I don't know how reliable it is

Here is a link to the relevant part of the online manual

https://alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/landmarks/follow-path

I feel your pain regards the number of apps, I wish Alpinequest had access to OS maps so that I could have just the one app.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby MRG1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:17 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I read all the posts in this thread but couldn't find the infos that are relevant to me. If I missed it, please post a link or quote the relevant posts.

Thanks a lot!!

Is there a clear favourite if I need an app that works globally (also places that won't have proper hiking maps, like the middle of the Sahara, Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica, you name it) and has contour lines and knows about forests and maybe glaciers?

Bonus points if it also knows street names (of Ouagadougou for example). And double bonus point if it also knows of metro stations (as in Barcelona).

If it can display the distance /height difference between the actual position and a random point on the map, that would be appreciated as well.

I have no need of compatibility with OS maps or being able to show routes. If I need 2 different apps to enjoy all those properties, then so be it.

Viewranger worked very well in all instances of above, and I was hoping OA keeps viewranger as it still is just now. I was wrong.

Alpinequest may have some of the functions you are looking for.
I'll quickly run down your list / examples.
I was able to download multiple maps of an area of the Sahara, a town called Bilma. I only tried some of the Openstreetmap (OSM) maps though. They showed the contours of nearby cliffs. I'll include a few screenshots.
I was also able to zoom into Antarctica but couldn't find any human settlements to zoom into :lol:

The different OSM maps tend to show forested areas and seem fairly accurate, at least here in Scotland they do.
I don't know if they show glaciers.
OSM produce a transportation map which I was able to use to zoom in and get names of what appeared to be train and metro stations in Barcelona.
Height differences between two or more points can be measured at will.
Alpinequest also have multiple maps other than the worldwide OSM maps that seem to be created for single areas / countries. Some examples were Azerbaijan, Laos, Myanmar and Somalia.
However I find the OSM maps excellent.
As far as I can tell every single map is downloadable for offline use.
I'm not sure about street names.

Sorry, this Reply grew arms and legs.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby MRG1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:29 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I read all the posts in this thread but couldn't find the infos that are relevant to me. If I missed it, please post a link or quote the relevant posts.

Thanks a lot!!

Sorry, I can't seem to get the screenshots to upload just now.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby MRG1 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:36 pm

motorlaunch wrote:Backcountry Navigator is a good replacement for android. The app costs about £12 and the maps are free. OS map areas at 25000 can be downloaded to your phone for use offline. No restriction on the number of areas you download, just need the patience to do it bit by bit. International maps are available too. There is a free trial app which lasts 14 days to give you an opportunity to assess the app before buying the pro version. You can put the app on upto 4 devices. I have it on a tablet which has a stylus pen which means I can create routes at home, then use the screenprint function to get a paper map. Worth looking at.

I got the Backcountry navigator Pro app and I must say, it's pretty good. Thanks for the mention.

I've got one question regards the map rotation button when GPS location is switched on.
There are four settings.
I get the "orientate the map north" one.
I also get the "orientate the map in the direction of travel" one
But the last two seemed the same and I wondered if you knew the difference. They both seem to rotate the map in the direction that the phone is pointing.
One symbol is an offset compass needle, the other symbol is a circle.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby Mar Coltrane » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:56 pm

Thanks again Matthew. Actually, after writing my last message (this time I had a notification sent to me straight away) I came across some useful information that allowed me to see many more functions in alpinequest that inexplicably I couldn't see before, and I saw that you can do a lot more with it, including following a route. Thank you for adding your link. I like this app, as I get the downloadable opencycle maps that I wanted. I am happy to pay the fee as I still only have the demo version. I will have to find a solution for access to OS when my current digital subscription runs out.
Mar Coltrane
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk