walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampons for Brasher Women's Country Master Boots

Crampons for Brasher Women's Country Master Boots

Postby MaryKMcDougall » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:40 am

Hi,

I am looking at buying a pair of crampons but worried my boots aren't suitable for them.

I am only a beginner and I am hopefully going to be taking a winter skills course to improve my knowledge but wondered if there were any recommendations for crampons that might work with these boots or if I need to look at a different set? It's mainly just so I can get out on the hills a bit this winter and be prepared.

I will be going into a shop to check thing out tomorrow to get some advise but would love to hear anyone else's thoughts as well!

Thank you in advance!
MaryKMcDougall
Wanderer

Munros:33   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Crampons for Brasher Women's Country Master Boots

Postby davekeiller » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Those boots aren't rated as being crampon compatible.
Being women's boots, they are shorter than men's so there might be enough stiffness in the sole that you can get away with a pair of C1 rated crampons, something like the Grivel G10.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:35 pm

The link below to a similar thread may help ?

Crampons for Brasher Country Masters?

For info, in the past I've occasionally worn my old steel strap on crampons with Meindl Burma pros which I think are technically B0 rated (nowadays I use Scarpa SL Activ B1 rated). I found the straps held the boots very securely and didn't have any issues with them. They are old though and don't have anti-balling plates.

boot instep crampon.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jmarkb » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:01 am

Kahtoola KTS or K10 crampons will fit pretty much anything, including running shoes. Grivel G1s are another possible option. Don't buy aluminium crampons - they wear down very quickly on rocky ground which is common in this country and not what they are designed for.

Light and bendy boots can feel a bit insecure, both in crampon conditions and also in softer snow. You may decide at some point that you want some stiffer boots for winter days.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:The link below to a similar thread may help ?

Crampons for Brasher Country Masters?

For info, in the past I've occasionally worn my old steel strap on crampons with Meindl Burma pros which I think are technically B0 rated (nowadays I use Scarpa SL Activ B1 rated). I found the straps held the boots very securely and didn't have any issues with them. They are old though and don't have anti-balling plates.

The attachment $matches[2] is no longer available

Snap my wifes crampons.
IMG_20211222_150908.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:42 pm

They look in need of a good sharpening!

The risk of using crampons like this on softer boots is not so much that they don't fit, but that too much flexing of the joining bar can result in sudden failure. Unless they are getting a lot of use though, this is fairly unlikely.

(It has happened to me - many years ago I was on a winter climbing course, and was issued with an old pair of crampons that broke on the summit of the Ben, resulting in some rather careful hopping down No. 4 Gully. I have also had a pair break across a bolt hole in one of the adjustable posts - thankfully the held together until I took them off!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:09 pm

jmarkb wrote:The risk of using crampons like this on softer boots is not so much that they don't fit, but that too much flexing of the joining bar can result in sudden failure. Unless they are getting a lot of use though, this is fairly unlikely.

Yes, when I used to use them with the Meindls, I found that their sole was stiff enough not to flex in the crampons. However, I wouldn't use them with a more flexible boot, eg my Salamon Prime, and they flex too much.

Every so often I sharpen the spikes on the grinder I have in our garage....just need to watch I don't make them too sharp....
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:28 am

I am only a beginner and I am hopefully going to be taking a winter skills course to improve my knowledge but wondered if there were any recommendations for crampons that might work with these boots or if I need to look at a different set? It's mainly just so I can get out on the hills a bit this winter and be prepared.

It may be for the winter course you *need* crampons and some slightly better boots - but the provider may be able to loan or rent you some.

However, I am going to stick my neck out here, and others may have different opinions. I am winter ML holder, as a reference.

I and my wife both have Nortec Ice spikes as well as the crampons I have. We use the ice spikes 99% of the time, with a walking axe.

We deliberately aim for easier, less steep and gnarly hills in the winter. For this, walking 'flat' on the ice spikes is perfect for what we need. We don't have front points but having tried to use front points on flexible crampons and boots, I found they just keep working their way off. They feel less secure - but we have never had a pair fall off once fitted.

A full crampon does on steeper ground offer some more security, ours start struggling if you want to traverse steep slops, but you just point feet downhill and walk sideways. No front spikes to catch trousers either and lower to ground so walking is a little easier. We have not yet had them ball up as badly as proper crampons either, my wifes more flexible boots being better in this respect than mine.

I wouldn't trust some of the cheap ones, Nortec, Salewa and Kahtoola seem to be good brands.

Part of the reason we can use them is we have enough judgement and experience to know 'enough is enough' - but we have had one day (on Tarmachan ridge steep part) where I was uncomfortable, but I think I would have been in crampons that day.

At the end of the day it is a judgement which if you are starting off may not be right - but for hills that have classic winter dousing of snow and ice, on easier paths rather than scrambles, I find good ice spikes more than adequate.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby davekeiller » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:53 pm

The trouble with ice spikes is that you can quite easily get yourself into a corner.
They have their place, but I probably wouldn't head up a Munro in winter without crampons.
Essentially, it's a case of understanding the limitations of your equipment, knowledge and skills and planning accordingly.

For a winter skills course, you'll need stiff boots and proper crampons. Most providers will be able to loan these if necessary.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:04 pm

The trouble with ice spikes is that you can quite easily get yourself into a corner.
They have their place, but I probably wouldn't head up a Munro in winter without crampons.

I hear you, and agree it is a judgement from experience.
The only significant difference I have found in ours is lack of front points.
We have really quite beefy ones, and they stay on better than my old flexible crampons.
I have found a few folk who say "don't do it with spikes" - but have never tried them for themselves. A bit like the move for many of us from heavy leather boots to lightweight trail trainers in recent years. They have limitations, but are better than many expect.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk