walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Insoles

Insoles

Postby kilima36 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:58 pm

I bought a pair of Scarpa Rush Trek GTX and despite trying different lacing techniques I found my feet moved around a bit causing blisters. I then replaced the original insole and tried a pair of Superfeet Trailblazer Comfort Max insoles but found the heel cup quite narrow and this caused blisters in the inside of my heels.

I was about to give up on these boots deciding that buying my 1st pair of hiking boots online wasn't the best idea however tried a third option and bought Sorbothane Double Strike insoles and what a difference. The heel cup isn't as narrow, the edging isn't as high or firm. My feet feel a lot more comfortable and less achy after 2 Munros and a tad over 15 miles yesterday. Also the insoles are cheaper than the Superfeet option I bought.

I appreciate that everyone's feet are different and what works for me might not work for someone else but thought I would share just in case.
kilima36
Walker

Re: Insoles

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:41 pm

I once walked the WHW without any insoles, the week before the boots got a good soaking so i removed the insoles for boots to dry out and forgot to put them back.
After about the 3rd day on WHW i was thinking something was not quite right but just put it down to the thickness of socks i had on, that was a better outcome than forgetting my sleeping bag one year for the WHW, a few cold restless sleeps on that walk.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:04 pm

I agree, so many technology laden boots and approach shoes have a sliver of cheap foam whacked in it seems.
I always thought it was opportunity to 'upsell' something...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:36 pm

I use superfeet orange in both my work boots and trail runners (not put them in my scarpa boots as basically never wear them now I have a pair altras)
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby Booga » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:10 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:I agree, so many technology laden boots and approach shoes have a sliver of cheap foam whacked in it seems.
I always thought it was opportunity to 'upsell' something...

When I worked in the outdoor equipment industry the general consensus was that even if a more substantial footbed came with a boot as standard many people would still want to swap them out anyway because everyone's foot is different and the one supplied wouldn't work for everyone. For example the Superfeet heel cup and arch support shape that suits my feet are not the same "size" as my boots are. No point in making boots more expensive when you'd still have to pull the footbeds out and replace them.

One solution to this would be for a manufacturer to supply retailers with boots and a set of various sized decent insoles so a customer can get fitted for the correct boots and insoles which then get sold as a package.

I think Superfeet do a comfort guarantee where they can be returned within 30 or 60 days if you don't get on with them, worth bearing in mind if anyone's bought some recently and found they're not the ones for you.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby St Pedro » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Yes, i bought superfeet green from Tisos for my walking boots - tried a couple times and feet still giving me gip

went back a few weeks later and happily and swapped for superfeet flex mid - good bit cheaper to boot and also refunded the difference!!

perfect now - no more foot pain

and have now bought the superfeet flexthin insoles for my daily shoes, thinner foam so fits less athletic fitting shoes

superfeet highly recommended
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk