walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Arcteryx Beta AR hardshell replacement

Arcteryx Beta AR hardshell replacement

Postby TheFox » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:09 pm

After my Arcteryx Beta AR has started delaminating around the shoulders and several other bits (and their customer service deemed it unrepairable), I am looking for a new hardshell jacket for general hiking, long-distance trekking (Scotland, Scandinavia, possibly other parts of the world) and hopefully some alpine stuff in the future.

The Beta AR has lasted me close to seven years and I was extremely happy with the level of protection it offered, from trying ice climbing once to hiking through the most atrocious weather on the Cairngorm plateau. Of course, I could just go and drop €450 on a new Beta AR (last year’s model in red, this year’s have terrible, subdued colours), the question is what else is out there – I am open to explore other options, especially some more affordable ones.

My requirements are:

- durable 3-layer (no Paclite nonsense), must stand up to backpacks of various weights
- should last several years
- helmet compatible hood (the one on the Beta AR is overkill though, you could fit three helmets in there)
- additional venting zips
- available in bright red, orange or green

It does not have to be super technical (I don’t do technical mountaineering or climbing) or expedition level, but I am looking for something reasonably rugged with very good all-around protection against the elements. Something I can zip up and then trudge through a torrential downpour, or a blizzard for hours with no issues.

Jackets I have looked at and liked the looks of include:

Arcteryx Beta AR (€450) - obviously
Norrøna Falketind GTX (€480) – love the looks, but recent reviews talk of a change to thinner, less durable fabric on the latest model?
Alpkit Definition (€280) – getting good reviews, like the affordability
Haglöfs Roc GTX (€300)
Haglöfs Roc Spire GTX (€450)
Mammut Masao HS (€360)
Rab Firewall (€290)

I'm particularly interested in the Alpkit. I am based in Bavaria now, by the way, so UK sales and vendors come with customs and import tax :roll:
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Re: Arcteryx Beta AR hardshell replacement

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:57 pm

I've tried pitching this a few times before: Columbia OutDry ExReign or Goretex ShakeDry (not sure which model) should work for the purpose. These are 2 layer fabrics, but work much better than 3 layer when it comes to rain. I know some people don't like the design of the Columbia one, but the recent model I have is baggy, has armpit zips and comes in high-viz green, but I haven't tried it with helmet. Goretex fabric is lighter than Columbia. Have a look here for a review of the the Goretex fabric and also the first comment for long-term view of Columbia equivalent. https://andrewskurka.com/review-gore-wear-h5-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket/ Also, the full price of Columbia one is £155.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:06 am

Um…Paramo Alta iii?
Not a hard shell but imo much better
Best jacket I’ve ever had (previous two were Arcteryx Beta AR and Mountain Equipment Lhotse)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:36 am

TheFox wrote:the one on the Beta AR is overkill though, you could fit three helmets in there

:lol: I know what you mean!

I have a Fjälräven Keb Eco Shell which is my preferred jacket (I also have an Arcteryx Beta SV). It's waterproof and windproof but the material is soft. Most other hardshells feel and sound like you're wearing a brown paper bag. The only thing I'm not so keen about is the placement of the two main pockets on the chest.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby TheFox » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:07 pm

Apologies for the late reply, and thanks for all the suggestions.

That Gore ShakeDry tech sounds interesting, but I really don't dig the glossy look :D I also read that it is the flimsiest of their membranes, suited for cycling/running, but with little abrasion resistance.

As for Paramo, I have noticed them being suggested on here over the years and kept checking them out occasionally, but I'm not a fan of their design either (notice a trend here - I'm picky looks wise :D), and it seems pretty heavy and warm, thus not as versatile for layering.

I never thought of Fjällräven though, despite owning a pair of trousers and a backpack by them - always thought of them as more of a not particularly technical, overpriced lifestyle brand, but that jacket is getting great reviews.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:26 pm

TheFox wrote:That Gore ShakeDry tech sounds interesting, but I really don't dig the glossy look :D I also read that it is the flimsiest of their membranes, suited for cycling/running, but with little abrasion resistance.

I know what you mean about the shine, but between being stylish and being dry in the mountains, I'll pick the latter. :) I have a nice hiking shirt which I'm going to ditch for an ugly t-shirt because midges are getting through the shirt's button gaps.

I know Gore-Tex had a thicker H (hiking) jacket (C and R are running/cycling), but they don't seem to make it anymore. Columbia one is thicker with "lovely" rubbery texture and is half the price of Gore-Tex one is why I went for it. Never had a problem with perspiration while wearing it, but so far didn't experience rain longer than 1-2 hours, so can't say if it will remain waterproof all day.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 pm

TheFox wrote:
As for Paramo, I have noticed them being suggested on here over the years and kept checking them out occasionally, but I'm not a fan of their design either (notice a trend here - I'm picky looks wise :D), and it seems pretty heavy and warm, thus not as versatile for layering.

I guess it’s something you’ll come round to in another decade or so 😂. Seems to be the longer in the tooth walker that wears Paramo…maybe with age comes wisdom (or just loss of being as concerned with the looks side of things says Methuselah here 🤣🤣🤣)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby davy_ludo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:35 pm

I got a Rab Kangri last year - it's been tested on a couple of really wet Munro days (probably around 6 hours in 40mph winds with constant rain). The pocket I had my map in flooded a wee bit - but that's because it was open and I was in and out of it. The water in my pocket never penetrated through to my body though - and the rest of me was dry at the end of the day (other than the usual "exertion moisture" and around the cuffs from pulling gloves on and off).

I prefer a heavyweight, thick fabric on my hardshell - don't want to feel like it's going to rip every time I put my bag on or brush past a bush/tree/rock/etc. It's not the lightest or most packable jacket - but when you get caught in rubbish weather on the hills, this jacket gives you a safe wee bubble to brace the elements!
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Spade » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:29 pm

Have used The North Face and Berghaus in the past with pleasing results. However, am considering paramo next for a choice. Have heard them to be really good and folk who use them all seem to be pretty convinced by them . My only thought though is apparently you do tend to run a bit hot in them, still better than too cold and sound like a pack of crisps with goretex.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby nathan79 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:42 pm

TheFox wrote:After my Arcteryx Beta AR has started delaminating around the shoulders and several other bits (and their customer service deemed it unrepairable), I am looking for a new hardshell jacket for general hiking, long-distance trekking (Scotland, Scandinavia, possibly other parts of the world) and hopefully some alpine stuff in the future.

The Beta AR has lasted me close to seven years and I was extremely happy with the level of protection it offered, from trying ice climbing once to hiking through the most atrocious weather on the Cairngorm plateau. Of course, I could just go and drop €450 on a new Beta AR (last year’s model in red, this year’s have terrible, subdued colours), the question is what else is out there – I am open to explore other options, especially some more affordable ones.

My requirements are:

- durable 3-layer (no Paclite nonsense), must stand up to backpacks of various weights
- should last several years
- helmet compatible hood (the one on the Beta AR is overkill though, you could fit three helmets in there)
- additional venting zips
- available in bright red, orange or green

It does not have to be super technical (I don’t do technical mountaineering or climbing) or expedition level, but I am looking for something reasonably rugged with very good all-around protection against the elements. Something I can zip up and then trudge through a torrential downpour, or a blizzard for hours with no issues.

Jackets I have looked at and liked the looks of include:

Arcteryx Beta AR (€450) - obviously
Norrøna Falketind GTX (€480) – love the looks, but recent reviews talk of a change to thinner, less durable fabric on the latest model?
Alpkit Definition (€280) – getting good reviews, like the affordability
Haglöfs Roc GTX (€300)
Haglöfs Roc Spire GTX (€450)
Mammut Masao HS (€360)
Rab Firewall (€290)

I've got a Haglöfs Roc GTX in bright yellow (Pumpkin yellow in the Haglöfs colour palette). Had it for a good few months now. Definitely feels durable, no pit zips though. Definitely a helmet compatible hood, but not the greatest adjustment without one and only a laminated peak. I got mine for half price so I'm not complaining too much, but I don't think it's the perfect winter shell I was looking for.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk