walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best tent under £100

Best tent under £100

Postby jojo77m » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi
I'll be doing the West Highland Way in April and camping along the way 3 campsite, 3 wild.
I currently don't have a tent, only got clothes and a Vango Ultralite pro 900 and a 70L oex vallo which I think is absolutely massive for my.

I have no idea if I'll like long distance hikes so I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm also open to 2nd hand tents, but what are my best options under £100 and ideally less then 2kg, I only weigh 55Kg and that rucksack is >2Kg

thanks
jojo77m

Munros:1   

Re: Best tent under £100

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 pm

A Lanshan 3F UL can generally be bought for about £80-£90. I’ve recently bought one but not as yet used it. Reviews are generally positive however.

Tents can be like Marmite however, what one person swears by, another may offer critique. It’s a very subjective (and emotive) subject.

Good luck on your choice. I’m aiming to do WHW at Easter week end next year. You will love it, it’s a fantastic walk.

One word of advice though, try and road test ALL your gear before you do LDW.

All the best.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Poocini » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:32 am

I got my an Olpro Voyager for under £100, and whilst I've not used it out in the field as yet (back garden pitch only!), it seems decent enough. It's two man, but as always with 'two man' tents, they're better viewed as a roomy one man tent.

It's about 2kg in weight, got 5000 h/h for both the groundsheet and flysheet, which as far as I can tell is better than the usual, and it's got a little space between the flysheet and inner for gear storage. It's also pitched outer first, so if you're doing the WHW in April, it's a pretty good feature in terms of keeping yourself dry!

Other than that, I've heard good things about the OEX Phoxx. The one man version is currently available for as little as £55 in the sales. There's a couple of reviews of it on You Tube that are worth checking out. General consensus seems to be that it's great value for money, although if you're over 6 foot or so, then you might find it a bit of a squeeze.
Poocini
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19

Postby jojo77m » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:54 am

The OEX Phoxx looks good, as this'll be my 1st solo I think I'd prefer to pitch fly first just in case it's raining and I'm still a few dry runs in to pitching but that's one I'd not seen and it is now on my list.

thanks
jojo77m

Munros:1   

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:08 am

I bought some Vango Scafell tents for our DofE group.

They are so good as a 'do it all' tent, I bought one for myself and my son's to use.
It's over your weight, but unless you go for a walking pole tent, I don't think you will get anything under 2kg, despite what manufacturers print...

They've survived wild wet and windy weather, they're pretty well ventilated, they're warm with a full inner (so you don't need as warm a sleeping bag in my experience), and they are quick to outer or both together pitch.

Facebook marketplace also has some good deals on at present - F10 Ultralight for £110, Lightwave T0 £130, MSR elixir 3 person £120, all look new, all could be haggled...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Poocini » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:12 pm

jojo77m wrote:The OEX Phoxx looks good, as this'll be my 1st solo I think I'd prefer to pitch fly first just in case it's raining and I'm still a few dry runs in to pitching but that's one I'd not seen and it is now on my list.

thanks

Millets have it for £55 at the moment, but it's normally quite quick to sell out. Go Outdoors have it for £69.
Like I said (and here's the disclaimer!), I don't actually own one, but from what I've read online and watched on YouTube, they seem to be regarded fairly well, especially for the price. The only reasons I went for the Olpro over it was because of the hydrostatic head rating (I think the Phoxx might be 3000 h/h? It's pretty difficult to find the actual rating!) and I wanted slightly more room.
Poocini
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:46 pm

The well proven Lanshan 1, as long as you walk with poles anyway, will be more spacious and half the weight of the phoxx.

I have seen both on action, and I'd really appreciate the extra room that the lanshan offers on a multi day walk, you really want somewhere that has room for you and your kit, the phoxx isn't big enough for that IME.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 am

I'm in pretty much the same situation, buying for the WHW without knowing if I'll get the bug and keep doing hikes or if it's just a single trip. I ended up buying the Naturehike Cloudup-1 which gets good reviews and I got for around £90 on Amazon last year.

There are 2 versions of it so watch out for that, the newer version is more waterproof and has a few extra features (internal pockets for example). It's light and packs down small, and also includes a footprint which some people say is just extra weight but I'd say is worth having given Scottish weather.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby TheFox » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:39 pm

The Vango Zenith 200 is just a tad over 2 kg (2.12 kg) and just a couple of pounds over £100 (seen it for £104 just now). I have the 300 and it has served me well on a trip through the Cairngorms and Glen Affric, including surviving Storm Ali in 2018. Sturdy and pitches outer first.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby matt_outandabout » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:28 pm

I've just ordered a 2.3kg Robens Arch, half price at £84 from Wiggle.
Robens are great quality in my experience, and should be pretty bomber.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 am

Keep an eye on e-bay I got a brand new never used terra nova laser photon 1 (803g) for £160, it’s not perfect but I’m yet to suffer any serious condensation it’s fantastically well made and to beat it I’m going to have to spend £500 on terra nova/nordisk etc although I am intending getting a 2 man for longer hikes.

If it’s going to be a one off keep an eye on eBay you may get something fairly lightweight fairly cheap maybe a little used but will do go what you want in the short term. Also for the same reason you want a tent others are selling they did it and it wasn’t for them. Although you’ll hate the Loch Lomond section once you get north of tyndrum it all opens up and is fantastic no photos do it justice. As we said at the time you pay your dues (loch Lomond) then you get the views.

I did the WHW last June it was scorching, my advice get all your gear put it in a box inc food and measure the volume and then go buy a smaller rucksack. 100 miles with a huge pack is a long way I only needed 50 L and even that was big could have gone with less. Eat on the way, don’t carry lots of food loads of honesty boxes, cafes, pubs use them saves lots of weight.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:13 am

I did the WHW last June it was scorching, my advice get all your gear put it in a box inc food and measure the volume and then go buy a smaller rucksack. 100 miles with a huge pack is a long way I only needed 50 L and even that was big could have gone with less. Eat on the way, don’t carry lots of food loads of honesty boxes, cafes, pubs use them saves lots of weight.

Very good advice.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby ahukippax » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 pm

Lanshan 2. For me a no brainer. I used it on the Scottish National Trail and it was fantastic.

I did a review of it here.

ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk