walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

3 person light tent

3 person light tent

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:48 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for a very light 3 person tent that ideally uses trekking poles? I know that many of 3P tents are actually meant for two, but in our case we need a tent that can accommodate three sleeping matts as there are two medium sized adults and a child. We always carry trekking poles, so design that utilizes them would be great.

Our current tent is 2.8kg and works well except for weight. I'd like to shave off at least 1kg. otherwise the cost isn't worth it. I've had a look in usual places for replacement and have seen mostly dome type tents from big name manufacturers which are quite tight for 3. Wickiup 3P was interesting, but I can't see how the third person will fit in with the center pole through the middle. Z-packs have 3P trekking pole tent, but the price is way too high.

Suggestions and personal experiences are very welcome.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: 3 person light tent

Postby St Pedro » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:09 pm

check out sea to summit tent options

very lightweight with huge headroom inside due to design

i have bought the ALTO TR2 plus <1.5kg - fits myself teenage son and westie with ease

they do a 3 person - TELOS TR3 <2kg
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 pm

St Pedro wrote:check out sea to summit tent options

they do a 3 person - TELOS TR3 <2kg

This was one of the options I was considering, but having difficulty justifying £550 to shave-off 1kg.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby St Pedro » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:12 pm

I was lucky
my wild country was 3.5 kg, so my £400 as a 50th birthday present was justified in saving the 2kg
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm

I'm not sure that a walking pole based tent would be strong enough given the size it would be to be honest.

You're gonna a be around 500 quid for a 3 man tent at that weight though, mutha hubba is 2kg and 470 ish.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby ahukippax » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 pm

What about 2 tents ?

I used a Lanshan 2 for 30 days on the Scottish National Trail and loved it.

A Lanshan 2 and Lanshan 1 would save you 0.9kg in weight and cost about £150 altogether. ( on ebay ).

Just a thought.

Check out my review if you don't know about this tent .

ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:I'm not sure that a walking pole based tent would be strong enough given the size it would be to be honest.

You're gonna a be around 500 quid for a 3 man tent at that weight though, mutha hubba is 2kg and 470 ish.

I'm hoping that during my research I've missed some innovative design.

ahukippax wrote:What about 2 tents ?

I used a Lanshan 2 for 30 days on the Scottish National Trail and loved it.

A Lanshan 2 and Lanshan 1 would save you 0.9kg in weight and cost about £150 altogether. ( on ebay ).

Just a thought.

It's a very sensible thought and probably why there aren't many 3P UL tents, but won't work for us because we hike as a family.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby tamego » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:23 pm

What about Marmot Limelight 3P? My friends purchased it and I never heard anything negative about it from them.
tamego
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:18 am

won't work for us because we hike as a family.

Split the weight then? One take poles and pegs, one takes the inner, other takes the flysheet?.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AspiringHiker » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 pm

tamego wrote:What about Marmot Limelight 3P? My friends purchased it and I never heard anything negative about it from them.

It's almost exactly what we have both design and weight wise.

AyrshireAlps wrote:Split the weight then? One take poles and pegs, one takes the inner, other takes the flysheet?.

That's what we do already, the goal is to reduce the overall weight of the equipment. The child carries nothing, so two of us effectively carry for three.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:29 am

Have a look at Z packs, link below, but it ain't gonna be cheap - delivery and taxes to go on that.

Also, ask the question on trek lite forum, they have a tent section, and they know their stuff!.

https://zpacks.com/collections/tents

Edit - also 3 really good options on Tarptent, ditto regarding costs.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/hogback/#tab-id-2
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Chris from Bingley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm

With an existing 3 person tent at 2.8kg how much weight you can save very much depends on how much you are willing to compromise on strength or space. Super light tarp tents would be fine for sheltered sites but may well struggle in exposed Scottish mountains. A Telos TR3 looks great but only saves you about 500g - more than £1/g so not a cheap option! We have a wikiup3 which is super strong (20D sil fly) and with linked trekking poles light but not cheap and you’d have to check the family could work out a way to fit in a hexagon!!
Have fun choosing, so many to pick from - let us know what you decide.
Chris from Bingley

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk