walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter gloves: I’m narrowed down to two good options

Winter gloves: I’m narrowed down to two good options

Postby Blue Ridge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:04 am

I’m jumping into winter munros for the first time and expanding my kit. I have second-hand B1 boots, crampons, and axe, and I’m looking at a new pair of gloves. I already have a pair of old ski gloves and also gore-tex mitts. I’ve narrowed down to two options and I’m hoping for advice from the people who know gear:

Montane Ice Grip
Mountain Equipment Couloir

I’m not climbing (yet) but I do really enjoy summer scramble. I’m looking to step into climbing at some point.

Thanks for any advice, and I’m open to any other suggestions. I saw many cheaper options that might suit me as well.
Blue Ridge
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:4

Re: Winter gloves: I’m narrowed down to two good options

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:41 pm

I find that no matter the cost of the glove, they all get wet / are not as warm as hoped.
The biggest difference I find is having multiple thin undergloves - my last pair of PowerDry being the best, followed by 99p 'magic' gloves.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Blue Ridge » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:02 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:I find that no matter the cost of the glove, they all get wet / are not as warm as hoped.
The biggest difference I find is having multiple thin undergloves - my last pair of PowerDry being the best, followed by 99p 'magic' gloves.

Thanks for the advice! I have two pairs cheaper synthetic liner gloves that have served me well while skiing and non-winter walking. Eventually I’d love to afford merino base layer kit.
Blue Ridge
Mountain Walker

Postby gman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:22 pm

Haven't tried the gloves you mentioned, but it's worth having a few spare pairs as they are easily lost - the Simond gloves from Decathlon are good value.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malrobb » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:44 pm

I was recommended these gloves: https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-295-waterproof-thermal-work-gloves.html and they were brilliant. They were so warm when I used them for the Skye Munros in October where the weather was pretty terrible.
For winter its sometimes a matter of quantity over quality as winter days can be a 3 or a 4 glove day!
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby Blue Ridge » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:47 am

malrobb wrote:I was recommended these gloves: …and they were brilliant. They were so warm when I used them for the Skye Munros in October where the weather was pretty terrible.
For winter its sometimes a matter of quantity over quality as winter days can be a 3 or a 4 glove day!

That looks amazing, thanks! I’m definitely buying a pair or two at that price. I bet they’re better than gore-tex!

I’m wondering now if I should even spend money on the big mountain brands.
Blue Ridge
Mountain Walker

Postby naefearjustbeer » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:25 pm

I was just going to come on and ask for recommendations I managed to tear my sealskin winter gloves today but annoying as I am sure they cost a fair bit. I have snowboarding gloves bit not sure they are the best for winter hiking.
naefearjustbeer
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby HighlandExplorer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:13 am

When it’s very cold and wet, I often use household rubber gloves under an old pair of mountain equipment gloves. I find that keeping my hands dry is the best way of keeping them warm. The rubber gloves have to be snug-fitting to maintain dexterity.
HighlandExplorer
Mountain Walker

Postby madprof » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:53 pm

gman wrote:Haven't tried the gloves you mentioned, but it's worth having a few spare pairs as they are easily lost - the Simond gloves from Decathlon are good value.

I am using these and in the dry they keep my hands toasty even in -15 wind chill. I carry at least two pairs for when the first ones wet out, and they certainly do.

The things I appreciate most are the little attachments. Wrist loops so I can take them off in the wind, a little loop for pulling them on (when hands are already wet this really helps!) and the cuff can be be tightened up which, again, in winter helps so much. Small things but seriously I really appreciated these yesterday on a wind-swept icy Munro.

I might try those work gloves as the prices looks impossible to beat. Just wish they had wrist loops!
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Current favourite set up is a pair of Montane Prism insulated pertex gloves, and if it gets wet, Decathlon do a really lightweight waterproof mitten that I put over the top, works brilliantly. I always have at least 2 spare pairs in my pack too, a big pair of Rab Mountaineering gloves and one of a selection of many others.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-waterproof-over-gloves-black/_/R-p-158553?mc=8396272&c=BLACK

Those are the magic over gloves ^
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk