walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Reliable winter tent for under £150, is it possible?

Reliable winter tent for under £150, is it possible?

Postby mcclue » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Back in November I lost all my gear, some of it very expensive gear, in a garage fire. Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover it so I've had to start again from scratch! It's been a very painful experience. Anyway, I'm absolutely desperate to get out and do some winter summit camping and so I'm looking for thoughts and advice on a reliable lightweight 4 season one or two person tent? I had the Fjallraven Abisko lite 1 but can't afford that again just now. I've got £150. I was told by a friend to look at the Naturehike Cloud Peak 2 and Cloud Up 1 tents but don't know enough about the reliability of them. Does anyone have any experience with these tents. Are there any other options? Much appreciated, J
mcclue
Mountain Walker

Re: Reliable winter tent for under £150, is it possible?

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:35 pm

The Cloud peak is basically a budget MSR Hubbahubba, and seem to get decent reviews - @walkwithwallace has one but I don't think he's used it in an exposed location?. There will be plenty of video reviews on youtube, I'd have a look there, but they seem to be fairly robust.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 am

I've got the Floating Cloud 2, which mimics a lot of the Hubba Hubba features, full mesh inner though, so it would be chilly in winter.

Slightly over your budget but what about the Robens Starlight? 🤔
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby mcclue » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:39 pm

The Robens Starlight is a great suggestion and not one I thought of. I love the fact that it's got the washing line inside Going to check out a few reviews on it. Appreciate the input 👍
mcclue
Mountain Walker

Postby Low Level Walker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 am

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Robens-Starlight-2-Tent-sku51170101.asp

This website has the 2 man version at £120 with free next working day delivery. So coming in at under budget for you.

Apologies, just see it is out of stock at moment.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby ahukippax » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:13 pm

I think it depends on your definition of reliable, what conditions you want it to be able to sustain and at what comfort level for yourself. I've just returned today from a fabulous summit camp on Kidsty Pike in the Lake District. I took my Vango Force Ten MTN2 but because of the benign conditions a £40 tent from Asda would have been fine. I have also been in Scotland with friends in a storm where a Vaude, Wild Country and Terra Nova Voyager got pretty much flattened in high winds and snow. My friends survived the night but it was very uncomfortable, whereas me and a pal in a Quasar had a relatively comfortable night. All tents are compromises, be it price, weight, durability, strength, space. If you want a bombproof all season tent then I suspect you will need to pay more than £150. If you want a good 3 season tent to use occasionally in winter then I am sure you can find one. Its an important choice to make as winter nights are long (14 hours last night in the tent ) so comfort is a factor but ultimately it is down to what compromises you are willing to make.

Good luck and enjoy getting out.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby mcclue » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:10 am

@ahukippax thanks for your thoughts on this. I don't want to miss this winter so I simply need something that will get me through probably a few summit camps over the next 2 or 3 months and then throught the spring / summer. I'll obviously be assessing the conditions before any summit camp and weighing it up in relation to what equipment I have.

I was very interested in the Robens Starlight as suggested by @walkwithwallace but have just come across the Vango F10 Helium on offer which I reckon would do me well for a bit. The plan is to save over the next 10 months and either get a Fjallraven Abisko again or go with a Hilleberg Soulo or Allak.
mcclue
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 am

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby ahukippax » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 pm

Sounds like a great plan. Just looking at walkwithwallace post above, a well looked after second hand tent may be a better option.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:24 pm

If you go on the likes of outdoor gear exchange on Facebook, trek lite forum, or even on here, and put up a wanted post, you'll get plenty of options.

A lot of folks have kit that they'd be willing to let go at a decent price, but just don't have it up for sale.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 am

I have just paid £68 for a Robens Arch 2 from Wiggle, brand new.
Bomber tent, and would work in winter well.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:34 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:The Cloud peak is basically a budget MSR Hubbahubba.

The Naturehike Mongar is the budget version of the MSR Hubba.

The Cloud-Peak is the budget version of the Hilleberg Allak 2.

The Cloud-Up is the budget version of the Big Agnes Fly Creek.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk