walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Altbergs but which ones

Altbergs but which ones

Postby Sspaterson » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 pm

So I’m finally thinking of biting the bullet and getting a pair. I note from the gear review on this site, and others, that the tethera can be a bit stiff but wearable with c1 crampons.

I don’t do that much winter walking and have never had to use my crampons (20 year old mountain technology ones) but I do need some decent robust boots for the winter which could take a crampon for a bit to get me out of trouble as my Salomon Quest 4Gs just aren’t quite up to the job

I’m not keen on a fully stiff boot because my feet sometimes cramp up if I can’t bend my toes to some degree.

I think the Mallerstangs would be too much so I’m considering the Tetheras but wonder if the Fremingtons would do.

Thoughts appreciated before I splash the cash
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Re: Altbergs but which ones

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 am

I had a pair of Tetheras, cracking boots but yes quite a stiff sole and I prefer something more flexible these days, so I'd lean towards the Fremington myself.

I'd try both on in the shop if you've got that option.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby St Pedro » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm

Craigdon sports just off edinburgh bypass are accredited fitters/retailers - good selection
pal just bought a pair Tetheras there last week
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby stinker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:58 pm

If the Mallerstangs are too much boot for you it would really be a toss up between the Tetheras and the Nordkapp. It all depends which combination of last and width fitting suits your foot shape and fits the best. I'm not sure the Fremington could cope with a crampon. As already said no harm in taking the time to try all the options.
stinker
Walker

Postby Sspaterson » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:45 pm

Thanks folks. After much trying on of both, I went for the Fremingtons - just that little bit comfier. I’d only ever be using crampons to cross random bits of ice, I’m not that much of a winter walker. Both gorgeous boots though. Got them from Craigdon in Perth who measured me up properly. My feet have spread so much over the last 30 years. I used to be size 5 narrow in my 20s, now I’m size 7 wide. Will report back once I’ve gotten a few miles under my belt in them.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk