walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Watches - Walker Reviews Required

GPS Watches - Walker Reviews Required

Postby D_Rae87 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:00 pm

Hello, I am looking to buy a GPS watch that will help track my hikes and was hoping that the members could provide some assistance?

If you have a watch you swear by, or alternatively know of ones that should be avoided at all costs, please let me know.

An added extra of being to download maps/existing routes would be great, but not essential.

All feedback welcome, thanks!
D_Rae87
Rambler

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: GPS Watches - Walker Reviews Required

Postby weesmudge » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:40 pm

Garmin fenix6x solar is the watch you want dose everything you want then some more not cheap but can be had for 699 had mine from Christmas and its a great piece of kit
Garmin are about to launch the new fenix 7 soon so you might find a 6 going cheaper still a 6x allow maps to be loaded and gpx files used
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Postby cruachan06 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 pm

Make sure it has a mode for walking and not just running. I've got a TomTom Runner 2 (bought for running before I started walking) and although it works it's far from ideal.

is a decent vid around the Coledale Horsehsoe sponsored by Garmin and their new Instinct Solar watch.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 am

I love my Garmin Instinct Solar, battery lasts ages and has GPS, HR, ABC etc. Lack of colour maps may put some off, but you can track and or follow a route.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am

Instinct Solar here too, great watch, tremendous battery life. I've used the 'mapping' on it a few times (it's a breadcrumb trail that tells you if you're off course) and it's adequate, as watch mapping is too small to be of much use anyway IME.

Previously had Vivoactive,4, 3 and HR, all of them very good, Only time I've moved on is for battery life, each one an extension of the previous. I keep looking at Fenix range, but there's nothing that would make me pay an extra 300ish quid (at least) for.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:54 am

I also have the Garmin Instinct Solar but don't really get full value above the basic model Instinct which does everything the Solar does.

The basic model is on sale at Blacks right now for 149 (no affiliation with Blacks). I think that's a great price for that watch.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:15 pm

The basic model has a hungrier GPS chipset which results in less battery life, agreed though, that's a good buy.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 pm

+1 for the Instinct. Definitely get the Solar if your budget stretches to it.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby boriselbrus » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:21 pm

You can get fully reconditioned Garmin watches with a 2 year warranty. I got a Fenix 6Pro from here:

https://g.eu.factoryoutletstore.com/collections/garmin-fenix/products/garmin-fenix%C2%AE-6-pro-sapphire-newly-overhauled-1

For £319.

It looks and performs exactly as new, with a new strap as well. If you go for the 6 you want either the Pro or the X as then you get the colour mapping as well. I really like mine, it's way more useful than I thought it would be and more intuitive to use as well.

Edit - from the link they are currently out of stock, but do get new stock regularly.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 pm

Just reading that the Garmin Instinct 2 is due out soon so the current lineup might end up being sold off cheaper. Think the main difference between the current and new will be better sensors, longer battery life and Vo2 Max (nice to have but not essential for me). Oh, and price, obviously.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:04 am

Aye, it's due out, but IME that never really results in any big price reductions.

Current Instinct solar has VO2 Max, not that it bears much relation to your actual ability to utilise oxygen, it's just a relative fitness calculation.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 am

Garmin pay is about the only other thing I'd like to see on my solar tbh.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby D_Rae87 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply and offer their advice, really appreciate the feedback.

Looks like the Garmin Instinct Solar is a pretty clear favourite and from the looks online can pick them up in sale from a number of different sites. It seems like the Garmin factory outlet store is a hidden gem I knew nothing about so, I'll give that a good check as well.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll catch you in the hills sometime!
D_Rae87
Rambler

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk