walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Emergency Personal Locator Beacons

Emergency Personal Locator Beacons

Postby Andyroo99 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 pm

A quick question for Forum users.

I’ve so far survived 30 plus years wandering both the Scottish hills and other mountainous and wild parts of the world – and also kayaking/canoeing many remote locations – touch wood!

However, regularly undertaking solo trips, I’ve now started to think about the possibility of using some form of emergency personal locator beacon – just in case!

In essence, I would probably just be looking for something that could be activated in an emergency – to alert of my location and that there was an emergency underway. And I probably wouldn’t be too worried about any such device also having the ability for two way communication – especially if that came with additional/subscription cost.

From my initial research there is obviously the Garmin inReach Mini (with some additional usage costs) – but also the McMurdo FastFind 220 GPS PLB.

I just wondered what people’s views/experiences/recommendations were on a suitable device.

Many thanks.
Andyroo99

Re: Emergency Personal Locator Beacons

Postby LoveWalking » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 pm

I carry the Ocean Signal RescueMe. Activate in an emergency and without two way communication. Seven year battery life. Thankfully haven't had to use it but as I usually walk alone I like to have it with me.
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:21 pm

LoveWalking wrote:I carry the Ocean Signal RescueMe. Activate in an emergency and without two way communication. Seven year battery life. Thankfully haven't had to use it but as I usually walk alone I like to have it with me.

That's the kind I have, and take it with me when hillwalking, canoeing, or just out for a wander on a remote beach. It may not be me that needs rescuing. I bought it after one of Walkhighlands' own, Alison Fox, died in a blizzard a few years back. (the Beast from the East, as it was called). If she had a PLB she may well have survived. Other gear that gets used a lot; boots, rucksack, waterproof jacket. all these things we see the need for the expense, but two hundred quid for a PLB sounds a bit overwhelming, especially as you would hope never to need it. But for that one time you do need it, two hundred quid doesn't seem much at all.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Jim777 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:46 pm

Since I have in the main walked on my own for many years I thought it wise to invest in a PLB and purchased a McMurdo Fast Find Ranger. It recommends the battery be changed every 6 years which happens to be this year - the cost is £126 - but what price a life. It was only last month that I was contacted by the Maritime and Coastguard Beacon Registry, who these PLB’s are registered with, as they were setting up a new registry service.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:52 am

If it's purely for raising an alarm for an emergency, then get the McMurdo effort.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Andyroo99 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:53 pm

Many thanks for your replies and insight - much appreciated.

Cheers.
Andyroo99

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk