walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

3 season sleeping bag/quilt?

Re: 3 season sleeping bag/quilt?

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:41 pm

That's a good shout actually, I like the sound of that.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Scottk » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:11 pm

Buy a sleeping bag now and if you find it too cold buy a quilt and use both in winter. You can boost your warmth with a down jacket if you get cold. The sleeping mat makes a big difference too.
I would suggest a full length zip-my bag has a half zip and gets too warm.
Having a decent meal and hot drink makes a big difference to how warm you feel.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby BigTed » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:17 am

For small pack size and weight warmth ratio it has to be down Everyone is different but I think a fill weight of 300 to 350g is about right for a 3 season bag. April to Sept is easily including camping nights a few degrees below freezing. In that case I might boost my bag by wearing my lightweight down jacket inside it.
Having a bag that is a fairly loose fit helps in this regard. In Scottish conditions being too warm with a 300g fill bag is unlikely to be an issue. Drop bag to your chest and unzip it a bit.

Anyone who is over 6ft in heigt or 15 stones in weight may find standard bags are too small. PHD designs do nice bags in numerous lengths and widths. (at a price)
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk