walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

3 season sleeping bag/quilt?

3 season sleeping bag/quilt?

Postby BrightEyes16 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:17 am

Hi

I'm quite new to backpacking, having mostly only been on summer trips for a few days with a more experienced friend. My first solo trip went pretty well but my cheap sleeping bag takes up half my bag space and weighs 2kg :crazy: . I want to replace this and also expand the range I can camp in to something like April ish to September ish in Scotland.

I've researched a lot but haven't bought anything yet as I worry a bunch that I'll be too hot or too cold with the bags I find. I've looked at quilts too as they appear to have better ventilation options. I think I'll like a quilt but I'm not sure.

I want something much more packable and lightweight. I've looked at a few from Cumulus, such as their 250/350/450 quilts, Panyam 450, Lite Line, etc. The Alpkit Pipedream 200/400. Some from Aliexpress. These are names I see pop up a lot. I'm pretty sold on hydrophobic down and waterproof shell for Scottish damp.

My main worry with having one choice for all 3 season occasions (e.g Panyam 450/Pipedream 400) is that it's gonna be too warm for summer sometimes. But my worry with getting separate bags/quilts for summer and shoulder seasons is what if I'm caught out with unexpectedly high or low night temperatures and I don't have the right one. Also can't afford two really good bags/quilts. I wanna have the best chance of being comfortable in all situations during this period, without sacrificing too much on weight. As a beginner, I rate that security and flexibility.

I'm looking to hear about people's experiences and set ups during these months. And what you'd recommend for my situation. I know it's somewhat subjective, but I need to buy something so advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some extra details:
-I'll be using a tent for the foreseeable future (MSR hubba 2 person). Wanna try bivvying and try with a tarp eventually but want more solo experience first.
-I have a couple of merino and other 'heat tech' clothing items and a uniqlo down jacket. Nothing very expensive.
-Got a Klymit Insulated Static V sleeping mat with R rating 1.9. Might need to upgrade this, especially if I end up with a quilt?
-I'm male, shorter than average, skinny af, and lose heat and overheat really quickly :roll:
BrightEyes16

Re: 3 season sleeping bag/quilt?

Postby AllyRdr » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:39 am

My Alpkit Pipedream 400 will be getting delivered today so can't really comment on it in use yet.
However I had settled on this as the replacement for my old MH Lamina as the pack size and weight for their advised temperature range seem very good, without venturing north of £200.
I pulled the trigger on buying it this week as it's currently reduced to £160 as they have one of their space saver sales on just now.

Personally, I've always been an unzip it and use it like a quilt when too warm person and just really like a sleeping bag. I get why the quilt folk really like them but find I can largely do the same with a bag anyway.
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm

I use a Snugpak three season synthetic fill bag, if it's chilly you can drape your jacket over it. Also a flask of hot water makes hot drinks at night an easier option than boiling a kettle. Hot chocolate and Bovril made from Oxo cubes are better than tea and coffee as they do not have a diuretic effect.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ahukippax » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 pm

My wife has had an alpkit pipedream 400 for just over a year. I would say it is a great all rounder. It is a bit warm in the middle of summer, but she has used it for backpacking, even this winter with a liner. With the current sale on, I'd say its pretty good value. I have a Rab Ascent 500 as my 3 season bag and I would say the alpkit bag is equally as good.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby BrightEyes16 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:42 am

Thanks all! Might just go and pick up a pipedream 400 in the sale then, sounds like it'd do me fine mostly. Maybe I'll take a liner with me for early spring/late autumn in case I need the extra heat, and maybe pick up a cheaper synthetic in summer if I find myself consistently too hot. That should have all bases covered..
BrightEyes16

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:55 am

I have a bag and a quilt pros and cons to both.

Bag I have is an alpkit sky high 500 recommended to -4c weighs 905g with responsibly sourced hydrophobic down.

And a thermarest chorus 32 quilt recommended to 0c (but you start to feel the cold at 5c) weighs 596g also with responsibly sourced hydrophobic down.

I’m a side sleeper by the way.

If it is chilly under the quilt and you move you get a draft of cold air up your back but in warm weather it’s a nice vent.

I’ve been looking at western mountaineering quilts super light but with an accompanying price tag, I think the alpkit ones are good value with a good weight/price ratio as anything lighter increases the price exponentially.

as a preference I go for a quilt as it’s like sleeping at home no bag to get tangled up in.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby steveo73 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:08 pm

Can vouch for the Cumulus 350 quilt. I have one and it's been great. Only got it in September so not used it in warm weather yet bit don't see that being a problem as you can just push it to the side a bit to cool down if to hot. Just back from a camp in the Galloway's last night were it got down to -2 and was fine with the quilt and a rab silk liner 👍
steveo73
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:71+44
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:41 pm

steveo73 wrote:Can vouch for the Cumulus 350 quilt. I have one and it's been great. Only got it in September so not used it in warm weather yet bit don't see that being a problem as you can just push it to the side a bit to cool down if to hot. Just back from a camp in the Galloway's last night were it got down to -2 and was fine with the quilt and a rab silk liner 👍

Second vote for Cumulus. We have 350 quilts which are good for 3 seasons provided you use thermal PJs on cold (+5 to 0) nights which is fine since you will be using some PJs or liner even on a warm summer night to keep the quilt clean. Having used both quilts and bags, I settled on quilt for two reasons. First, regulating temperature is much easier with quilt and temperature varies a lot during the night. Second, the freedom of movement is much greater with quilt.

I think bags are much better choice for cold winter conditions where quilts will struggle to exclude even the tiniest of drafts. However, in 3 seasons these drafts are actually welcome.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:27 am

I tentatively conclude from this thread that we all have different thermostats.

In the past I found little difficulty with a 4 season bag in summer - I just opened the zip. (RAB 900). But it's a bit heavy and bulky.

But if weight is an issue, a high quality (fill power) down bag will give amazing insulation for very little weight. For all but the coldest weather I have an Aegismax ultralite, which packs down into a cylinder not much bigger than a can of beans, and have slept comfortably in it in quite heavy frost conditions; BUT - you need a good insulating mattress, like an Exped or Thermarest winter grade inflatables as well. They're crazy money, but no sleeping bag will keep you warm in cold weather if you don't have a good insulating layer beneath you.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I tentatively conclude from this thread that we all have different thermostats.

In the past I found little difficulty with a 4 season bag in summer - I just opened the zip. (RAB 900). But it's a bit heavy and bulky.

But if weight is an issue, a high quality (fill power) down bag will give amazing insulation for very little weight. For all but the coldest weather I have an Aegismax ultralite, which packs down into a cylinder not much bigger than a can of beans, and have slept comfortably in it in quite heavy frost conditions; BUT - you need a good insulating mattress, like an Exped or Thermarest winter grade inflatables as well. They're crazy money, but no sleeping bag will keep you warm in cold weather if you don't have a good insulating layer beneath you.

Learned this last summer when I upgraded my vango trek 3 to a lightweight exped inflatable. Found myself waking up cold on summer nights which had never happened before.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby cruachan06 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Anyone got thoughts on the OEX Evolution Fathom EV 400 bag? It's on offer right now for £52 on Blacks, and so is the Furnace 8 Liner at £24. Seen a few reviews suggesting it's good for the price but definitely not (as advertised) a four season bag so no good right now when it's still close to freezing overnight.

The Eurohike Down Hybrid is also on offer at £48, apparently it's down above the waist and synthetic below.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:25 am

There's too many variables on how warm or otherwise we all are in different seasons, if you get sweaty on an ascent and don't have dry clothes, you'll never get warm whatever you do, as said a decent mat makes a huge difference, ditto getting some calories in you before getting into bed. Getting into a bag cold means you'll stay cold for a while too IME.

I bought an alpkit pipedream 400 last winter, was keen to use it and went out for a wee local summit camp on Craiglee in April, it was the coldest april night we'd had in years, at -9, I was toasty, really good.

But then I was cold when sleeping on Carn Etchachan during that roasting spell we had last July in the same bag, probably due to being a wee bit sweaty and not having enough to eat! Not following my own advice.

I love the idea of a quilt, but for something really good it's a fair investment, and I dunno if I'm convinced by them enough to drop 300 odd quid.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:15 pm

cruachan06 wrote:Anyone got thoughts on the OEX Evolution Fathom EV 400 bag? It's on offer right now for £52 on Blacks, and so is the Furnace 8 Liner at £24. Seen a few reviews suggesting it's good for the price but definitely not (as advertised) a four season bag so no good right now when it's still close to freezing overnight.

The Eurohike Down Hybrid is also on offer at £48, apparently it's down above the waist and synthetic below.

I have this oex bag. It's served me well in 3 years of use but I changed my sleeping mat to one with a poor r rating and had a few cold awakenings but to be fair I was sleeping just in my boxers and had tired myself out so easily overcome with another sleeping layer. It's a very good bag for the money. I think mine cost me £70 on sale 3 years ago. Definitely not a 4 season bag though. When I first bought it we camped in Glen tilt in February. Was chilly. I've done high camps in it and been fine though.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:01 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:
cruachan06 wrote:Anyone got thoughts on the OEX Evolution Fathom EV 400 bag? It's on offer right now for £52 on Blacks, and so is the Furnace 8 Liner at £24. Seen a few reviews suggesting it's good for the price but definitely not (as advertised) a four season bag so no good right now when it's still close to freezing overnight.

I have this oex bag. It's served me well in 3 years of use but I changed my sleeping mat to one with a poor r rating and had a few cold awakenings but to be fair I was sleeping just in my boxers and had tired myself out so easily overcome with another sleeping layer. It's a very good bag for the money. I think mine cost me £70 on sale 3 years ago. Definitely not a 4 season bag though. When I first bought it we camped in Glen tilt in February. Was chilly. I've done high camps in it and been fine though.

Thanks, think I'll take the plunge whilst there's an extra 20% off.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby davy_ludo » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:06 pm

I have the pipedream 400 - which other than being a touch on the short side, is a pretty decent bag and does me from April to October (I've had it to 0C with a decent mat and been fine). I don't normally camp over winter, but I do fancy trying it. So recently bought one of alpkits cloud quilts (200g down). The plan is to use this on it's own in the height of summer (normally just open the pipedream 400 before I bought this), but in the winter I'll put the quilt inside the pipedream to get a 600g down bag.

The quilt actually gets used a fair bit - use it on the couch, in the garden for stargazing, as a blanket when sat outside camping. Also got chucked in the back of the car over winter, just in case we got stuck. Quite a versatile wee additional. The pipedream 400 + Cloud Quilt add up to around 1300g when both packed in my rucksack.
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk