walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Inov8 Roclite Pro G 400 boots

Inov8 Roclite Pro G 400 boots

Postby GreyhoundofRydal » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi Folks;
Has anyone any experience of these boots? With old, dodgy knees I'm looking to go as light as possible on my feet but wondered about how robust and durable these are? Any info gratefully received!
GreyhoundofRydal
Mountain Walker

Munros:219   
Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:197   

Re: Inov8 Roclite Pro G 400 boots

Postby Colin1951 » Wed May 04, 2022 1:01 pm

No experience of these but I have pair of roclite (280’s?) fell running shoes from about 15 years ago which are still absolutely fine and still getting a few outings each year. So Innov8 make good quality stuff - with the caveat that you can have light, or durable, but probably not both. I’d been looking at these myself for when my old Scarpas give up the ghost.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby LobeyD » Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm

I've had a pair for a couple of months so not a tested to destruction review. Probably about 20 hours on the hills in them and they still look like new so no obvious wear issues emerging. Very light and comfortable from the box. Sole is very sturdy and a lot grippier than the Salomon Ultra Mid's they replaced, which could be lethal. There is quite a bit of cushioning, similar to a trainer. Walking on roads and hard paths was great. Climbing in them is a breeze.

Only caveat is that they have a wide toe box and the stock insoles are rubbish. On the first steep descent my feet moved around a lot which was uncomfortable and not very stable. This is despite them being a good fit. I fixed this with proper insoles with more shape and grip, and getting quite aggressive with the laces. However, the upper is more a soft trainer type than a more rigid walking boot so not quite as stable at times as there is a bit more give in the fabric.

All in all I am impressed, comfy and a good balance of weight and sturdiness. I need a boot as I tend to go over on my ankles and there are the closest thing to trainers I could get away with. Probably will stick to proper boots if I know there is a lot of steep, pathless terrain, but I see them getting a lot of use.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby yellowbelly » Wed May 04, 2022 11:05 pm

I've had many pairs of Inov8 boots over the last 15 years (the leather ones were the best but are now discontinued).
True, they are light and comfortable at first but will eventually let wet in and need replacing every 2 years or so.
Also, you will need to get used to losing a toenail or 2 every so often particularly if you wear them in rocky mountainous conditions.
I'm now back to wearing leather Scarpa boots.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk