walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear Shakedown for CWT (100km)

Gear Shakedown for CWT (100km)

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:01 am

I don't know if you're used to do this in this forum but I'd be very interested to have your feedbacks on my current load out to attempt part of the CWT(https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110932) in 2 weeks from now.

Here's my list : https://lighterpack.com/r/w9710h

I'd be more than happy to have your views and critiques given your experience in the Highlands !
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Re: Gear Shakedown for CWT (100km)

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:28 am

Throw out all the electronics bar one head torch and you have saved over a kilogram, why have two stoves?
Scraggygoat

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:57 am

Scraggygoat wrote:Throw out all the electronics bar one head torch and you have saved over a kilogram, why have two stoves?

Interesting; why would you throw all the electronics ? One head torch right, forgot to remove. Two stoves in case one fails.
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:31 am

Obviously personal, but they don’t keep you dry, they don’t keep you warm and they don’t fuel your belly, so are luxuries. You can either save the weight or reallocate to food and treats to keep the morale up.

I’d only take two stoves on a trip where stove failure would be terminal ie where you are entirely reliant on melting snow for your survival. Stove failure is very rare, and in Scotland not life threatening.

Other than that I’d check the weather just before the trip and swap out the down clothing for synthetic if forecast to be wet.
Scraggygoat

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am

If you're really convinced about taking 2 stoves, take 2 that use the same fuel source, and the fuel source that is most readily available en route (I'd go gas, personally).

I looked at your electronics, and tbh I'd be taking pretty much all that stuff, except the vlogging stuff, so fire away!.

12.5kg is fine IMHO.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:17 pm

In my humble opinion I would ditch the MSR Pocket Rocket, and roll with the alcohol burner. I wouldn't bother with down trousers or the hood (wear a beanie if you're cold in the tent. City trousers would get ditched too, no need for them. 2 pairs of shoes? 2 knifes? Don't see any need for carrying the Ultrasil daypack either. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:55 pm

cemkoker wrote:I don't know if you're used to do this in this forum but I'd be very interested to have your feedbacks on my current load out to attempt part of the CWT(https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110932) in 2 weeks from now.

I'd be more than happy to have your views and critiques given your experience in the Highlands !

I’ll be interested to copy your system and see what we’re going to be carrying. 12.5k sounds alright though. Im guessing much of our weight will be good as we’re aiming to take everything for 15 days and have no re-supply point. Personally I’d be adding a bottle of Scotch (decanted into lightweight bottle natch) and note that higher %alcohol = lower weight 😂
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby davekeiller » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:40 pm

I agree with only taking one stove, as stove failure is rare.
However, if taking two stoves use two with the same fuel source. If gas is your main source, then your backup for an 83g gas stove is 300g of alcohol and stove.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with down trousers. I would probably have 2 pairs of trousers and two sets of shoes/boots in total (i.e. one that I'm wearing and one I'm carrying).
I would only have one knife, and would dispense with the daybag.
Also, do you need both the Z seat and the ground chair?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby GregC » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 pm

Looks like a good kit list. I'm planning to do the walk in May so definitely interested to see how you get on. As what the others have said though, I'd skip the doubling of things (though if in doubt the liquid burner stove should be bombproof - or take that with minimal fuel as back up). I think I see where you are going with the down trousers and a light weight quilt. I'm definitely going with a synthetic jacket though as I expect it to get damp on route.

I'm a little curious about your food as it seems quite light. I know you are doing a shorter walk but I think I've got about double that for 8 days (splitting the hike in two sections with restock). I am going a bit heavier with food though as I can't top up on route due to dietry restrictions. For me I always take a bit more food than I think I'll need. I once went on a 5 day remote hike with no chance of any resuply - it got cold (snow) and we burnt through our food very quickly. It was a very miserable trip. Learnt two things: firstly ration pack for each day to make sure the food is spread evenly; secondly always take a little extra food that can be eaten cold for emergencies or poor weather. Never want to repeat that experience - the horror. :D

Have fun and good luck!
GregC
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:10 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:Obviously personal, but they don’t keep you dry, they don’t keep you warm and they don’t fuel your belly, so are luxuries. You can either save the weight or reallocate to food and treats to keep the morale up.

I’d only take two stoves on a trip where stove failure would be terminal ie where you are entirely reliant on melting snow for your survival. Stove failure is very rare, and in Scotland not life threatening.

Other than that I’d check the weather just before the trip and swap out the down clothing for synthetic if forecast to be wet.

Thanks for your valuable feedback; I didn't see this as of the pure 'survival' aspect - I will for sure integrate your point. Agreed on the luxury part if it would have been one trip that I could postpone to some later date, sadly it's a one shot for me (at least for this year).
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:13 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:If you're really convinced about taking 2 stoves, take 2 that use the same fuel source, and the fuel source that is most readily available en route (I'd go gas, personally).

I looked at your electronics, and tbh I'd be taking pretty much all that stuff, except the vlogging stuff, so fire away!.

12.5kg is fine IMHO.

Thanks you have a very valid point here; admittedly part of me wanted to try the 2nd stove in 'Scottish' conditions (gear junkie speaking). And vlogging is for memories that's a non-negotiable item ;)
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:In my humble opinion I would ditch the MSR Pocket Rocket, and roll with the alcohol burner. I wouldn't bother with down trousers or the hood (wear a beanie if you're cold in the tent. City trousers would get ditched too, no need for them. 2 pairs of shoes? 2 knifes? Don't see any need for carrying the Ultrasil daypack either. 8)

Thanks Wallace; I'd feel even more comfortable with a Trangia but the weight; I had just bought this alcohol burner, I don' feel confident enough to light this thing in the mud inside the tent; so ditching it it will be ! :clap:

As for the shoes; I thought it'd be good to have one 'spare' for the rivers & really muddy days + in camp.

As for the knifes, it's more really one scissors and one knife.

As for the trousers, I'll be flying from Switzerland to EDI then to Inverness by train; I wouldn't feel comfortable in hiking trousers in the plane & so + thinking of the way back all with mud & whiskey stains :o
The daypack is to keep some stuff in the plane while I check-in the bag with all the hiking stuff (trekking poles, tent pegs, stove, etc) - it's the lightest smallest I could find just to keep the electronics with me in the plane; for 30g I think it's worth it but if you have other ideas I'm willing to listen !
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:40 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
cemkoker wrote:I don't know if you're used to do this in this forum but I'd be very interested to have your feedbacks on my current load out to attempt part of the CWT(https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110932) in 2 weeks from now.

I’ll be interested to copy your system and see what we’re going to be carrying. 12.5k sounds alright though. Im guessing much of our weight will be good as we’re aiming to take everything for 15 days and have no re-supply point. Personally I’d be adding a bottle of Scotch (decanted into lightweight bottle natch) and note that higher %alcohol = lower weight 😂

I haven't decided yet for the scotch; more into wine but if you have any recommendation for a total scotch 'newbie' I'd be happy to take some sips of it, please share some brands ! ;)

As to stay low weight; I don't want to go 'stupid light' and have a 'tarp tent' like in the mud. The Ultamid 2 I have is a 3x3m pyramid tent with a nice half area empty where I can put all the gear and this for less than 1.2kg
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:44 pm

davekeiller wrote:I agree with only taking one stove, as stove failure is rare.
However, if taking two stoves use two with the same fuel source. If gas is your main source, then your backup for an 83g gas stove is 300g of alcohol and stove.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with down trousers. I would probably have 2 pairs of trousers and two sets of shoes/boots in total (i.e. one that I'm wearing and one I'm carrying).
I would only have one knife, and would dispense with the daybag.
Also, do you need both the Z seat and the ground chair?

You guys convinced me for the stove; I'll be taking the BRS (20g) as a main stove backup. As for the trousers it will be the very first time I try the quilt, not exactly knowing how it will behave in the scottish weather I have this one for 'emergency' only when I truly feel the cold.

Good catch for the chair; I'm still unsure to take the chair; it's a 500g penalty worth a million when you can actually 'sit' inside a sheltered area. As said above; I would need to check-in the bag at the airport the daybag is for convenience in the airport.
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:50 pm

Travel clothes are always a pain to carry. Do you have anytime in Inverness on the way back? If so you could buy a pair of trousers for the rest of the journey home, and travel out in your walking trousers. Thus saving lugging them on the hike.
Scraggygoat

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk