walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear Shakedown for CWT (100km)

Re: Gear Shakedown for CWT (100km)

Postby cemkoker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:53 pm

GregC wrote:Looks like a good kit list. I'm planning to do the walk in May so definitely interested to see how you get on. As what the others have said though, I'd skip the doubling of things (though if in doubt the liquid burner stove should be bombproof - or take that with minimal fuel as back up). I think I see where you are going with the down trousers and a light weight quilt. I'm definitely going with a synthetic jacket though as I expect it to get damp on route.

I'm a little curious about your food as it seems quite light. I know you are doing a shorter walk but I think I've got about double that for 8 days (splitting the hike in two sections with restock). I am going a bit heavier with food though as I can't top up on route due to dietry restrictions. For me I always take a bit more food than I think I'll need. I once went on a 5 day remote hike with no chance of any resuply - it got cold (snow) and we burnt through our food very quickly. It was a very miserable trip. Learnt two things: firstly ration pack for each day to make sure the food is spread evenly; secondly always take a little extra food that can be eaten cold for emergencies or poor weather. Never want to repeat that experience - the horror. :D

Have fun and good luck!

Yup, you got to the point with the quilt and the down trousers. My jacket is actually this new pertex quantum; I have used it during snow storms here in the Swiss mountains I find it to be working fine, but again yes not comparable to synthetic but the weight and compressibility .. meh ... I might not even use the down jacket during the day as I will be walking, I am a hot walked but a cold sleeper.

Oh damn; stuck in bad weather and no food that sucks !

And you have a valid point; I had put just a rough figure there; I haven't settled yet but I guess I will be going fully dehydrated food like real turmat or trek'n'eat; planning on a solid 3 meals a day + 12ish Cliff bars + beans.

I guess I will need to tackle the food details soon.

Thanks for the feedback, I will do my best and report back and share my experience.
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:47 pm

I may be bigger than you, 178cm and 85kg, and so need more cals, but I struggle to get much below 800g per day for food, even using freeze dried meals.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:18 am

cemkoker wrote:Thanks Wallace; I'd feel even more comfortable with a Trangia but the weight; I had just bought this alcohol burner, I don' feel confident enough to light this thing in the mud inside the tent; so ditching it it will be ! :clap:

As for the shoes; I thought it'd be good to have one 'spare' for the rivers & really muddy days + in camp.

As for the knifes, it's more really one scissors and one knife.

As for the trousers, I'll be flying from Switzerland to EDI then to Inverness by train; I wouldn't feel comfortable in hiking trousers in the plane & so + thinking of the way back all with mud & whiskey stains :o
The daypack is to keep some stuff in the plane while I check-in the bag with all the hiking stuff (trekking poles, tent pegs, stove, etc) - it's the lightest smallest I could find just to keep the electronics with me in the plane; for 30g I think it's worth it but if you have other ideas I'm willing to listen !

I forgot you were flying in. So I understand some of your gear choices like the small day pack. 30g isn't bad in hindsight.

As someone else mentioned, you could buy cheap trousers etc in Inverness for the travel home.

I've been using an alcohol burning in Scotland for years now, I can't see me switching back to gas anytime soon. I find it much easier to manage my fuel on the CWT as I know I use around 15ml of bioethanol for one boil.

I'd still ditch the chair, how much sitting up are you likely to do after a hard shift on the trail? I pretty much got into my sleeping bag, made dinner then nodded off. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby GregC » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:04 am

Thinking about it last night, fuel might be more of an issue than the stove failing. So far I've only ever had one stove fail on me but maybe 3 or 4 gas cannisters. Sometimes the seal isn't so good and can start to leak. The stove was a very cheap easygaz thing from the 80's so probably can ignore its failure.
Personally I'm not a Trangia fan because of their bulk and slow boil time, but I think what Robin says makes a lot of senes. If you can get 750ml (coffee +r ehydrating food) to boil off 15ml of fuel that could be a winner. If Trangia did a Titanium stove... Actually any ideas why they don't?
GregC
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby cemkoker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:20 am

AyrshireAlps wrote:I may be bigger than you, 178cm and 85kg, and so need more cals, but I struggle to get much below 800g per day for food, even using freeze dried meals.

I'm 174cm and 80kg 'fairly' muscular. You're saying 800g of dried meals ? How much kcal you count / day ?
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:37 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:I forgot you were flying in. So I understand some of your gear choices like the small day pack. 30g isn't bad in hindsight.

As someone else mentioned, you could buy cheap trousers etc in Inverness for the travel home.

I've been using an alcohol burning in Scotland for years now, I can't see me switching back to gas anytime soon. I find it much easier to manage my fuel on the CWT as I know I use around 15ml of bioethanol for one boil.

I'd still ditch the chair, how much sitting up are you likely to do after a hard shift on the trail? I pretty much got into my sleeping bag, made dinner then nodded off. :lol:

Mmmh I'd go for the alcohol burning stove but where do I find the fuel ? I know for sure Cotswold Outdoor have gas canisters (both in EDI and INV) but I have no idea where to find alchohol. I have 2 hours in EDI on my way in and afternoon in Inverness.

You use 15ml no matter the weather ? How you manage the smell inside the tent ?
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:12 am

cemkoker wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:I forgot you were flying in. So I understand some of your gear choices like the small day pack. 30g isn't bad in hindsight.

Mmmh I'd go for the alcohol burning stove but where do I find the fuel ? I know for sure Cotswold Outdoor have gas canisters (both in EDI and INV) but I have no idea where to find alchohol. I have 2 hours in EDI on my way in and afternoon in Inverness.

You use 15ml no matter the weather ? How you manage the smell inside the tent ?

DIY stores (Homebase, Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix for certain) and iron mongers and hiking shops all sell Meths, and B&Q sell a 2 litre bottle of Bio-Ethanol for £8 (although that obviously is a bigger bottle than you might want). There's a big B&Q store at Hermiston Gait quite close to Edinburgh Airport, I'm sure there will be one around Inverness as well. Plus in a pinch most chemists will sell Isopropyl alcohol which will work, although is quite sooty I'm told.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby cemkoker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:39 am

cruachan06 wrote:DIY stores (Homebase, Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix for certain) and iron mongers and hiking shops all sell Meths, and B&Q sell a 2 litre bottle of Bio-Ethanol for £8 (although that obviously is a bigger bottle than you might want). There's a big B&Q store at Hermiston Gait quite close to Edinburgh Airport, I'm sure there will be one around Inverness as well. Plus in a pinch most chemists will sell Isopropyl alcohol which will work, although is quite sooty I'm told.

Thanks I've found B&Q right next to Cotswold in Inverness and near the station. Ok ok I'll consider the leap of faith with the alcohol stove ... (deep breaths)
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:53 pm

I'm 174cm and 80kg 'fairly' muscular. You're saying 800g of dried meals ? How much kcal you count / day ?
cemkoker

Tbh I think it's pointless trying to match your calories, as you'll be looking at burning well over 4000kcal, which is a **** load of weight in tes of food, even with a couple of 1000kcal freeze-dried meals.

I just accept I'll be running a calorie deficit, and get on with it! You get used to it.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:47 pm

Outdoor shops tend to sell either bioethanol or meths. DIY shops will have meths. Gas cannisters can be harder to come by and my friend iain had a dodgy seal on the first day of the CWT. Luckily he carried an extra cannister. :lol:

Agree about the calorie deficit, I ate like a horse for days after getting home from doing the CWT. :shock:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby cemkoker » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:01 pm

Thank you for all your valuable inputs !
Only 3 days to go and I am down to my very last questions :

A1F82DC4-73B3-4690-A5A8-8997CBAF83D8.jpeg

Big or small sit pad ?
Big or small gaiters (small ones not shown here)
Big (half knee height) goretex socks or small ones ?
Barefoot shoes for rivers and camp ?
Down pants ?

What would you do ?
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:02 am

My opinion, but no right or wrongs:

Big or small sit pad - Small.
Big or small gaiters - Small if you're wearing shoes.
Big (half knee height) goretex socks or small ones - Big, so the water/bog can't get in over your ankle.
Barefoot shoes for rivers and camp - Yes if you're not going for the wet feet option with trail runners.
Down pants - ditch.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby GregC » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:56 am

Hi,

I don't like giving definite opinions as there are different approaches folk can take with equal success. So having a quick look through your kit list it looks like you are going for the get wet feet approach. For me I'd go short gaiters to keep stuff out of shoes (doesn't have to be waterproof), Long waterproof socks (with liners to change) and 1 set of wool socks for camp/sleeping or hot dry dy with no bog :lol: ) I'm taking bothy slippers as I get cold arthritic feet, small sit pad, ditch down trousers for thermal longjohns as you have a winter mat and ditch river shoes as your feet are going to get wet anyway. If you are a very cold sleeper seeing as your sleeping bag is -6 limit (about 0 comfort) which might get a bit chilly on frosty nights then consider down trousers. I'd also bring a spare thermal top for sleeping in. Having a dry system for sleeping will make a huge difference.
GregC
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   

Postby cemkoker » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:02 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:My opinion, but no right or wrongs:

Big or small sit pad - Small.
Big or small gaiters - Small if you're wearing shoes.
Big (half knee height) goretex socks or small ones - Big, so the water/bog can't get in over your ankle.
Barefoot shoes for rivers and camp - Yes if you're not going for the wet feet option with trail runners.
Down pants - ditch.

Thanks for the feedback; I'll take the small gaiters + big socks :)
cemkoker
Mountaineer

Postby cemkoker » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:13 pm

GregC wrote:Hi,

I don't like giving definite opinions as there are different approaches folk can take with equal success. So having a quick look through your kit list it looks like you are going for the get wet feet approach. For me I'd go short gaiters to keep stuff out of shoes (doesn't have to be waterproof), Long waterproof socks (with liners to change) and 1 set of wool socks for camp/sleeping or hot dry dy with no bog :lol: ) I'm taking bothy slippers as I get cold arthritic feet, small sit pad, ditch down trousers for thermal longjohns as you have a winter mat and ditch river shoes as your feet are going to get wet anyway. If you are a very cold sleeper seeing as your sleeping bag is -6 limit (about 0 comfort) which might get a bit chilly on frosty nights then consider down trousers. I'd also bring a spare thermal top for sleeping in. Having a dry system for sleeping will make a huge difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience; I think I will stay on the safe/warm side as for the down pants; it will be a very first time with the quilt, hadn't time to test it out yet - and in case it gets wet I'd have a kinda backup for the very worst scenario.

As for the socks, agreed; big ones + extra backup for the night.
cemkoker
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk