walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Irish Maps Phone Apps

Irish Maps Phone Apps

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:43 am

Hi folks,

Might have a chance to do a bit of walking in Ireland soon and was wondering what everybody's choice of maps phone app is for over there. I've just bought a Harvey's paper map for the area I'm heading to but can't seem to find an equivalent of the OS Maps app for the Irish OS. Does one exist?

I assume ViewRanger would have had this covered but it's now gone and I've not been impressed with Outdoor Active.

Cheers
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Irish Maps Phone Apps

Postby prog99 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm

I’ve also been searching as off there next month. Best I’ve found is the same as you namely outdoor active.
I’m intending doing the 1 month trial for what I need and cancelling once finished.
Open street map coverage looks acceptable too.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:11 pm

prog99 wrote:I’ve also been searching as off there next month. Best I’ve found is the same as you namely outdoor active.
I’m intending doing the 1 month trial for what I need and cancelling once finished.
Open street map coverage looks acceptable too.

I found AllTrails too but OA has a longer free trial. OA isn't as terrible as I remember so they've maybe improved it a bit since it launched. Still way too much redundant stuff on it IMO.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby MRG1 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:40 pm

As prog99 pointed towards, the Openstreetmap maps might offer you enough detail for your needs, they're not as detailed as the UK OS maps though.
They can be downloaded for offline use from many of the currently available apps.
I personally use Alpinequest.
Another alternative might be to try the Openandromaps map. They're based on Openstreetmap but give added detail. You can download the whole of Ireland for 231mb.
You'll need an app that is able to use them though, such as Locus, Backcountry navigator Pro or Orux.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:32 am

The Irish OS looks like this, should be able to get in on other apps like Locus Pro, this screenshot is on ViewRanger.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220415_073034.jpg
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 am

OutdoorActive will give you the Harvey Maps. As Prog99 says we're going to take out the free offer for a month to access them. We've got some maps too.

The Iphigenie also app seems to work grand with the Open Street Map data and appears free so might be worth a look. I downloaded the maps for the area a while back and they seem to work fine offline.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220415-095454_iPhiGNie.jpg
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:57 am

Cheers folks!

Think it'll be the free trial of Outdoor Active plus paper Harvey map in case. Probably should have specified it's the Mournes rather than Furth bagging so actually is Northern Irish OS I need. I naively assumed the north and the south used the same OS but apparently not...
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby PaulD » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:37 am

Maybe not quite the response you wanted but I use a satmap 20 and last year subscribed to osmaps for their online route planning. I tried out their OSmaps app and it was appalingly awful (sometimes saying i'd walked 6.57 miles when it was 3.8 ), loads of design issues with it and i recently didnt renew subscription.

I wanted a route planner for desktop so subscribed to Satmap 'Xpedition2' and that works fine for what i need so i tried out their phone app called 'Xplorer', it appeared fine and far better than os route planner and app, slightly expensive at £40 a year (£30 with OS) for full UK maping. BUT yesterday for some unkown reason it wont let me logon to phone app and as its easter that wont get resolved until next week. So i WOULDNT rely on any phone app that requires a login (although in practice i never rely on them as I know they'll fail at some point).

I do also have Alpine quest and have done for years, it doesnt require a login but you do have to create your own maps using their software.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:53
Wainwrights:97   

Postby MRG1 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:01 am

PaulD wrote:
I do also have Alpine quest and have done for years, it doesnt require a login but you do have to create your own maps using their software.

I've been using Alpinequest for s few months now and use the available maps, is it possible to create maps with it?
MRG1
Rambler

Postby prog99 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:39 pm

PaulD wrote:Maybe not quite the response you wanted but I use a satmap 20 and last year subscribed to osmaps for their online route planning. I tried out their OSmaps app and it was appalingly awful (sometimes saying i'd walked 6.57 miles when it was 3.8 ), loads of design issues with it and i recently didnt renew subscription.

What’s the relevance to Irish mapping?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby PaulD » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:34 pm

MRG1 wrote:
PaulD wrote:

I've been using Alpinequest for s few months now and use the available maps, is it possible to create maps with it?

Yes, they provide some software called mobec and instructions on how to use it, once you get the hang of it its quite easy and ive just switched from the free version to the paid one (one off fee £8.99) its definately worth it.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Postby PaulD » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:37 pm

prog99 wrote:
PaulD wrote:Maybe not quite the response you wanted but I use a satmap 20 and last year subscribed to osmaps for their online route planning. I tried out their OSmaps app and it was appalingly awful (sometimes saying i'd walked 6.57 miles when it was 3.8 ), loads of design issues with it and i recently didnt renew subscription.

What’s the relevance to Irish mapping?

The software used to display the maps no matter were they are, it can make or break it. Also as of friday for some unknown reason my login to one app no longer works despite correct login details and as its easter no-one around to answer questions, so that app (Satmap Xplorer) is rendered useless, in fact I would now reject any app that requires you to login in order to use even downloaded maps. Hence AlpineQuest is back as being my prefered choice of software to display whatever map you use.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Postby MRG1 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:20 pm

PaulD wrote:
Yes, they provide some software called mobec and instructions on how to use it, once you get the hang of it its quite easy and ive just switched from the free version to the paid one (one off fee £8.99) its definately worth it.

Ah ok, is Mobec only available on the website?
Because I only really use the android app.

Yes I've got the paid version, some great content.
MRG1
Rambler

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks for the input, folks. Can report that Outdoor Active did the job for the Mournes.
Attachments
20220420_123446.jpg
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk