walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ultra-light on the Cape Wrath Trail

Ultra-light on the Cape Wrath Trail

Postby akiggins » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:35 pm

Hello,
The hooves & hinges aren't what they used to be so I'm seriously trying to cut back on what I carry on multi-day walks. Has anyone done the Cape Wrath trail and has an opinion on things not to skimp on. Tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc.

e.g. don't go for a single skin tent, 'cause the midges will eat you alive.

Want to get to a place where I maximize comfort (?) and minimize weight.
thanks in advance,
Andrew
akiggins
Stravaiging

Munros:173   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Islands:7

Re: Ultra-light on the Cape Wrath Trail

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:04 am

You don't want to skimp on the big 3: shelter, sleep system and your rucksack. When you hoping to do it?

Not quite ultralight, but definitely on the cusp; my gear video here with a detailed breakdown to give you an idea:

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Holly » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:05 pm

Being that my hooves and hinges are getting beyond a joke but I still use them,,, Robin’s video is very good so all I can add being that I am in the rusty brigade is that you don’t scrimp too much? Its a long way and a hard trail. I took a thermarest neoair and a 3/4 closed cell foam for my dog that would have been used for me had anything happened to the neoair. Good sleep is paramount in my opinion and sets you up for the next day. I spent the extra dosh a while ago and got a good quality but very lightweight sleeping quilt which is under 500 grams, comfort to -6 and very effective. I wouldn’t use a one man tent as I need space for my dog but even is she was not with me , the extra space is well worth a wee bit more weight. I at the time used an MSR free light 2 and it was great. I now have a nordisk telemark 2.2. And that will be coming with me next time. I carried a good sized spare battery for my tech and saved weight by being careful with not carrying too much water. I didn’t take extra clothes. What I wore was it and thermals for sleeping that I knew could be used as a change if I had needed them. Spare socks was a must but I trusted in the fresh bracing occasional river and baby wipes (came home with me) for a wash. I good lightweight rucksack will save you weight but make sure its comfortable. Things get lighter as the days go on and you basically get used to it. Otherwise enjoy and try not to take anything at all you will not use or do not need.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby walkingpoles » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Having back problems I needed also a lightweight strategy for the CWT.

Here are some tested but probably controversial ideas. Maybe some of them work for you:

* If you are happy to walk for over 40km, you can line up hotels, hostels and bothies so that you don't need a tent. The trail will deviate from Harveys, but not too far. I did that. Here is the walk report with the route: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67126
In hindsight, I would have started with shorter distances at the beginning. I heard that Glenbeag bothy is a gamble now. But there are other options.

* Don't carry too much food. Food for lunch and chocolate can easily be restocked. Take pub meals into account, scavenge through freed food shelves in hostels. Sending a food parcel might also be a sensible idea. Never carry water. Bring a sawyers mini.

* Go spartanic. If you have three items of the same clothing type then you have at least one too many. Putting on wet socks in the morning sounds worse than it is. Ok, it is bad. But it can't be helped:)

* I don't believe in hardcore waterproofs. If the rain gives you a full frontal, you get soaked anyway. Rather have something which is comfy to wear and walk in if wet. Get a dry bag to store the dry clothes and the sleeping bag during the walking. And bring a candle to warm yourself in a bothy.

Enjoy, it is a great experience!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:00 pm

I just packed my rucksack for the CWT next week and weighed it. 15.3kg with everything in (food for 7 days) but no water. Think the base weight was about 11kg.
Allison’s full weight was 12.5kg.
Not lightweight, but weighs less than the packs we did the WHW with in January and feels quite comfy on. Includes 600ml of Lagavulin 8 yr old, so some luxuries 😄
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby prog99 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:32 pm

weaselmaster wrote:I just packed my rucksack for the CWT next week and weighed it. 15.3kg with everything in (food for 7 days) but no water. Think the base weight was about 11kg.
Allison’s full weight was 12.5kg.
Not lightweight, but weighs less than the packs we did the WHW with in January and feels quite comfy on. Includes 600ml of Lagavulin 8 yr old, so some luxuries 😄

Hope you remembered to decant into a plastic bottle.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk