walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

First Aid Kits

First Aid Kits

Postby Girl Outdoors » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:03 am

I'm just wondering what others take for a first aid kit when out and about on the hills?

I've carried a little zip lock bag for a long time now with some basic first aids bits. Also I include a few shots of basic medications, ibuprofen, paracetamol, cocodamol etc. Recently I was considering at one of those nice compact red first aids kits that are for sale and eventually concluded I could compile it all for a fraction of the price and adapt as needed. So just curious what others take with them and how?
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Re: First Aid Kits

Postby mmill » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 pm

This is a good question. It would be easy to just get a standard pack amd shove it in your bag. But it is definitely worth taking some time to consider the things most likely to be needed.

In terms of what we have used over the years I think it's plasters, wound pads, pain killers, anticeptic cream, the scissors, safety pins. I carry a few bandages but thankfully have never needed them. But would recommend the triangle one for a sling and learning how to do a sling. Depending of your opinion on giving rescue breaths will determine if you carry a mouth shield thing.

For plasters just put ones in that you are mostly likely to need. Most variety packs have a lot of small ones that are mostly useless.

I would recommend putting the red Cross first aid app on your phone. And have a look at it before you go out.

I have done first aid courses through work and would get on any of those possible, I always have the hills in mind when I am at those.

There are also the normal safety things of whistle and emergency blanket.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:49 pm

I bought a set of waterproof stuff sacks from Amazon and the smallest one is red and a perfect size for the first aid bag for me. Things I carry
Compeed (plasters and the stick that seems to help when you feel a blister starting)
Plasters
Alcohol Swabs
Tweezers
Tick Remover
Bandage (can also be used as a knee or ankle support if required) plus tape
Paracetemol and Ibuprofen
Small sewing kit (also has scissors and safety pins in it)
Cotton wool/buds (doubles as tinder if required)
Foil Blanket

My emergency whistle is on a paracord bracelet, which is good for emergency repairs
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:58 pm

First of all, a good solid bone saw, and some of those interesting curved amputation knives. A stout mallet and a selection of chisels for those hard-to-reach bone shards. A corkscrew for winkling out the bone plate when trepanning. Ligatures, tourniquets, artery forceps, mercury pills and enema syringes. A leech-flask. A gag to stop the screaming. Ether to induce drowsiness and stop them escaping.

civil-war-kit2.jpg
K-Tel Amputation Kit, fun for all the family!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AllyRdr » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 pm

On top of what's already been mentioned, I like to stick a wee roll of microporous or zinc tape in. My pinkie toes are prone to blisters, so I carry some in my first aid kit though it's mostly for longer distances.
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:06 pm

I'm really poor at keeping mine up to date. I bought a waterproof one from Lifesystems, which had all the normal stuff and came in a mini drybag. This bag failed and I replaced it with a slightly larger red one that can also fit in my emergency SOL foil bag thingy, plus a few kit repair items like stormsure and zip ties (mostly for multi-day canoe camping trips).
To this I added medicines (paracetamol, ibuprofen, cold remedy, gaviscon, Imodium), wipes, tick twisters and a few other bits). Last year I replaced the plasters as the original ones (about 15 year old I reckon) wouldn't stick when I needed one. Last week I had a cold on the last few days of my trip (not Covid thankfully, a real cold). The cold capsules were 3 years out of date....

Time for a full sort out.

95% of the time, the only time my kit gets used is to help somebody else out with plasters or pain/cold relief tablets. Fortunately I've rarely needed the bandages type stuff, though the odd twisted ankle has been strapped.

Its also years since I did a first aid course, I ought to sort that.

I have the free St John's Ambulance First Aid app on the front screen of my phone. Loads of simple, clear, instruction you could use on the spot. This does not need a signal.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:First of all, a good solid bone saw, and some of those interesting curved amputation knives. A stout mallet and a selection of chisels for those hard-to-reach bone shards. A corkscrew for winkling out the bone plate when trepanning. Ligatures, tourniquets, artery forceps, mercury pills and enema syringes. A leech-flask. A gag to stop the screaming. Ether to induce drowsiness and stop them escaping.

civil-war-kit2.jpg

Is that the lightweight option? :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:53 pm

I have a little mirror with a cover in mine - handy if you are sold and get something in your eye.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby davy_ludo » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:24 pm

I bought one of these a few years ago:
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/first-aid-kits/trek

I've added a couple of bits: tick tool, duct tape, spare laces, burn gel. I could probably get something smaller, but better safe than sorry. Also have a foil blanket tucked in there.
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk