walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin GPS maps question.

Garmin GPS maps question.

Postby DavidShepherd » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently had to buy a new GPS after stupidly losing my previous one somewhere on the path down from Ciste Dubh last year ( pushing my luck but if anyone found a slightly battered looking orange GPS device let me know :) )

I've picked up a Garmin etrex 22x, as I had previously used a Garmin etrex 20. The problem is my previous one came with pre-loaded OS maps, so it had all the contour lines and details etc associated with a good paper os map. But this new model just has the Garmin topo maps on it, and they're not as good. Currently I have been downloading imported gpx routes to the osmaps app on my phone as a navigation aid alongside a physical map, but even if you download the map to your mobile first, its kinda unreliable and sometimes doesn't load the image fully first unless you let it before you lose your signal.

Been looking today and it's pretty darned expensive to get a copy of the osmaps loaded on a Garmin device (currently £169.99 on the OS website for a pre-loaded sd card) - you can redeem bought paper maps but only allows it to be downloaded to the os mobile app.

Is anyone aware of another way to get more detailed maps or add contour lines and more detail to the topo maps that doesn't cost the same as the GPS device itself?

PS - I am not posting this to start a discussion about whether we should be using a map or a gps device or both or whatever. I am able to read maps to a decent degree, but I prefer having the digital version to hand to assist with navigation.

Cheers!
David
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Re: Garmin GPS maps question.

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 pm

I’ve got a Garmin Etrex 30 and am currently waiting on a micro SD card to arrive loaded with GB and Ireland OS maps.
Given it was £13 on eBay I’m dubious as to whether it will actually work or not, I’ll let you know when after I’ve tried it.

Check out Talkytoaster website, he does maps on SD cards for Garmin.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Re: Garmin GPS maps question.

Postby Ewen1966 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:29 pm

The talky toaster standard UK and Ireland maps are free to download or you can order an sd card for a small sum if you don't fancy installing them yourself.
I have the free standard ones for my etrex 20 and they are excellent.
I also have France and Sweden though I can't remember how much they cost. Less than 30 quid anyway.
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk