walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Reusable Pouches For Dehydrated Meals ?

Reusable Pouches For Dehydrated Meals ?

Postby steveo73 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:05 pm

With the prices of dehydrated meals going up iam looking at cheaper options. I will still buy the likes of summit to eat ones but not all the time to save some cash.

I was on a camp last night and took some beef jerky and soba noodles ( like pot noodles but better) and was pretty good mixing both together.

My only gripe was the plastics container the noodles comes in is a bit bulky and takes up a bit of room ( similar to a pot noodle). So was wondering were I can pick up these pouches that you could put them in and just add the water.

I recall seeing a RS outdoors video a while ago were he used something like them.
steveo73
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:17
Fionas:20   Donalds:75+46
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Reusable Pouches For Dehydrated Meals ?

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:11 pm

SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:05 pm

Regular supermarket food bags work too, or at least did for me with homemade porridge sachets. I just put them in the smaller top section of my cooking pot to give them some stability and insulate my hands.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:28 pm

steveo73 wrote:
I recall seeing a RS outdoors video a while ago were he used something like them.

I saw the same thing and asked RS. The reply l got was a company called Green Island and the products l ordered (not necessarily what RS used) were.......

Silicone Ziplock Pouch - 1000ml
Silicone Ziplock Pouch - 1500ml
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:01 pm

Have a look on Trek Lite forum Stevie, there's a full forum section on food.

https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?forums/kitchen.22/
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AllyRdr » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:58 pm

The Soba noodles come in packs similar to Super Noodles by the way, that are cheaper, more packable, and have more in them than the pot ones.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306936559

110g vs 90 something g in the pots. 85p vs over a pound for the pots.
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby steveo73 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Cheers guys some good ideas for sealed bags and knowing the noodles come in packs 👍would probably still put them in pouches though as I tend to burn anything i put into the pot that I cook in it 😄
steveo73
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:17
Fionas:20   Donalds:75+46
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Scraggygoat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:19 pm

Lakeland soup and sauce bags, or similar.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/10914/20-soup-n-sauce-press-seal-freezer-bags-1l?src=gfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjp3-m9Ky9wIVifdRCh0MNgPMEAQYASABEgIzqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product-details-accordion

Add your own dehydrated food stuffs, pour in hot water, then insulate e.g. in your hat.

For example breakfast porridge oats, milk powder, cinnamon and raisins and maybe a bit of sugar. You can vary the dried fruit; some days apricot, other days banana ect,

Evening example quick noodles, dried fish, dried sea weed with a fish sauce packet mix or a fish stock cube. Or maybe couscous with sliced salami, a tomatoe packet soup, possibly add some olive oil from a mini bottle and a few olives after adding the water.
Scraggygoat

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:34 am

steveo73 wrote:Cheers guys some good ideas for sealed bags and knowing the noodles come in packs 👍would probably still put them in pouches though as I tend to burn anything i put into the pot that I cook in it 😄

Boil the noodles in water, drain a bit off then add your sachet - no burning.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:14 pm

The price increases are eye watering and I think a lot of people will look at alternatives if they price themselves out of the market.

I got a 15% discount code for the Fell Store, to help take the sting out of the freeze dried meals. WWW15.

https://thefellstore.com/

I use microwavable bags from Home Bargains, 89p for 8 bags. I haven't used them for noodles, just my porridge but no reason why it wouldn't work for noodles. The silicone bags are a bit of a faff and a pain to clean.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk