walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Advice needed: diy tent repair

Advice needed: diy tent repair

Postby Lysanne » Mon May 02, 2022 8:05 pm

I've had a very unfortunate weekend away and managed to damage my tent in 2 places!

I have a Lanshan 2, but think the questions apply to all tent fabrics. I would appreciate some advice!

The first tear is next to the tent door. I managed to get the door loop hooked in my back pocket when I stood up and thos tear next to the seam happened.. the emergency repair with tenacious tape and k-tape inside did work, but I like a more permanent solution. Question: can I iron a piece of seam on from the seam tape I have left from reseaming my waterproof jacker? Is it possible at all to iron tent fabric?

Second one: I didn't put the pole properly in the pole pocket and heavy winds (and me overtensioning it) resulted in the rip of this stitched fabric. Same question: can I reattach this by ironing seam on it? There's not really any space left to stitch it back on?

Thank you for any help!
Attachments
20220501_185224.jpg
Tear at pole pocket close up
20220501_185217.jpg
Tear at pole pocket
20220501_185201.jpg
Tear next to the door
Lysanne
Mountaineer

Re: Advice needed: diy tent repair

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 03, 2022 12:45 pm

I use a type of fabric tape as used by yachties (yotties) for repairing sails. I can't remember where I got it as I am so ancient and I got it somewhere a long time ago. O look I googlised it. :shock: It's also good for repairing waterproof goretex jackets, trousers, hats, etc.
https://www.marinechandlery.com/psp-spinnaker-repair-tape-50mm-x-4-5m
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby weaselmaster » Tue May 03, 2022 1:03 pm

I use spinnaker tape too, stuck on with McNett Seam Grip. That provides a fairly robust repair.
I had a couple of holes in one of my tents and sent this off for professional repair- (at SMG). They stitched a patch on both sides of the tent.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed May 04, 2022 8:08 am

I'd get it professionally repaired from these guys:

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 04, 2022 8:19 am

Of course, if it's a garment you have been wearing a long time without washing it, like a pair of woollen socks or a Goretex jacket, you may want to consider preserving it to be used as food if/when you find yourself stuck/snowed-in at a remote bothy. This helps stave off the cannibalism stage. :shock:

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk