walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Washed my new Softshell with bio detergent. Is that bad?

Washed my new Softshell with bio detergent. Is that bad?

Postby Warzinak » Sun May 08, 2022 2:10 pm

I just got my very first Softshell, a Columbia Ascender.
I am usually a fleece guy and have worn fleeces for years.
Just by habit I threw it in with the rest of my dark wash and used Ariel Colour bio detergent.

Now I'm reading to never wash softshell jackets with bio and to only use products like Tech wash or at the very least non bio detergent.

Did I screw it up?
What's the issue with the bio detergents?
Warzinak
Mountaineer

Re: Washed my new Softshell with bio detergent. Is that bad?

Postby Skyelines » Sun May 08, 2022 10:03 pm

Bio detergents contain enzymes that break down things like proteins, fats and other large organic molecules into smaller ones so they get washed out of the fabric.
Some DWR finishes use waxes or similar compounds to create the waterproofing. It is likely that the enzymes may also breakdown the chemicals used in the DWR.
As far as my A level chemistry knowledge goes I think that the enzymes target specific molecules in proteins, fats etc to break them apart, similar target molecular sites may also be present in the DWR making them vulnerable to destruction.

No doubt some knowledgable chemist will be able to confirm or tell me I'm talking rubbish.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 am

Its not the end of the world if you've only washed it once, but I'd definitely avoid washing in bio detergent in the future. It will wash out any DWR treatment the jacket has, so it may lose its water repellent finish. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon May 09, 2022 10:24 am

Wash it again with Tech Wash or similar (you may have to do this twice to be on the safe side) then re-proof in the washing machine with Nikwax Softshell proof.
When laundering thereafter only use Tech Wash (or equivalent) or soap flakes, and not detergent.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk