walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Robens Starlight 1 (review)

Robens Starlight 1 (review)

Postby Christos » Mon May 09, 2022 2:37 am

Robens Starlight 1 (Review 2022)

I got this tent for Christmas '22 (price was £150 and keeps going up, that's £50 more than it was back in late 2021) and tested it in Cairngorms near the foot of Ben Macdui in February.
At that time storm Dudley was on its way and the weather was wild. Heavy snowfall, cold and some rain in the morning until 13-15:00 the first day.

Pros
• The hydrostatic values of the tent can be compared and compete with many other more expensive tents. The materials used are top quality.
• It is roomy enough (I'm 5ft9, 176lbs) to sleep comfortably and move around.
• The vents really help with the condensation despite that the tent was covered in snow. I didn't feel the slightest breeze while I still had all the vents open all night. (My pal had his Terra Nova laser competition and in the morning he had problems with condensation he told me, cause of the compacted snow on his tent)
• Set up is very fast if you plan ahead and set it with the inner tent attached to the outer before packing up.
• Low profile and the forest green colour blends in nicely.
• You don't need a footprint, the bottom of the tent is quite strong.
• Smooth zips.

× Cons
• Getting in and out of the tent in bad weather... For a moment I thought there was a leakage. After breakfast I went back to the tent few times and while I left everything dry I found them dump. The entrance part is not as big to sit or kneel comfortably and do things while it's raining or snowing, which means my clothes were dripping on my gear every time I opened the tent to get or sort something.
• The tent stuff sack... If you plan on strapping the tent on the side of your pack you might lose it. Probably the manufacturers of the solo tents think we pack them inside our packs cause of their size and they don't put loops on their tent stuff bags to hold them in place while strapped outside a backpack. Unfortunately this is how I lost mine, it fell off somewhere on the trail.
• The tension straps need a bit of practice... I have the tendency to want my tent pitched stretched enough so the wind won't make everything flapping. I heard someone else commenting on that as well.
• A bit more head space would be appreciated when you sit down inside the tent.

Overall this is a fantastic tent. When I lost it I thought I would go for the laser competition used from eBay to replace it and save the 600gr but I'm glad I didn't. The only tent I could find better than the starlight based on tons of reviews of other tents would be a hilleberg; but that's a big investment and a totally different price level. So I bought it again :D
Hope you found this review helpful! :thumbup:
Christos
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk