walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

PLB and Location trackers

PLB and Location trackers

Postby JoBen » Tue May 10, 2022 7:58 am

I walk the Angus Glens and you don't get a mobile signal until you're up a munro. My husband is so worried I'll fall with no backup (I walk alone) but all the plbs and trackers seem very expensive, and then the cost of subscription. Help needed re best option
JoBen
Stravaiging

Re: PLB and Location trackers

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue May 10, 2022 8:08 am

This has been discussed at great length quite recently, if you don't want a subscription service then the McMurdo Fast Find PLB is your best bet. Basic SOS button should you get into bother.

If you want two way communication with each other then you'll need a subscription service satellite communicator/PLB such as the Garmin inReach Mini or one of the SPOT devices.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 10, 2022 12:37 pm

I carry an Ocean Signal Rescueme PLB; at a bit over two hundred pounds they are expensive, but the price of not having one is much worse. A few years ago we lost one of our own, Ali Fox who often posted on this forum. She died in a blizzard because she could not give a map reference for her location. If she had a PLB she would likely have survived. PLBs last for many years, so the price is low over that time.
https://www.cactusnav.com/ocean-signal-rescueme-plb1-personal-epirb-p-12665.html
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby JoBen » Tue May 10, 2022 4:49 pm

Thank you so much fir your words yes I think I'm going for the Ocean PLB, it seems to be the one the emergency services recommend
JoBen
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk